Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 06:37 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The people who run NASCAR went with the standard penalty. Nothing to see here. Move along.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/na...ng-kyle-larson
I understand your urgency to sweep this dangerous stunt under the rug.

I actually agree with the penalty. Missing a race is much harsher on the driver. It's embarrassing. Especially that Bubba is such a competitor. Often fines are paid for by the owner or absorbed somehow. Dale Jr said he "doesn't ever remember cutting a check for a fine" in his career. Bubba won't forget the embarrassment of missing a race.

It'll be difficult to "move along" come Sunday when he's not behind the wheel of the 45. In the end, hopefully, he'll re-focus that energy into becoming an elite driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Bob Pockrass. A guy who knows more about how NASCAR works than anyone on this thread.
Labonte18 might have something to say about this!

Last edited by USNRET04; 10-19-2022 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 08:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I understand your urgency to sweep this dangerous stunt under the rug.

Why would I have an urgency to "sweep this under the rug". I'm a Blaney fan. I defend Bubba on this thread only. I despise racism in all forms. Some on this thread (Not you) are so obvious, that I feel the need to defend him. As I would any other person being attacked due to their race.

Good point about Labonte18. Not quite Pockrass, but he knows his stuff.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:26 AM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Dave Moody is even worse.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:36 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
After scraping the wall, I believe Wallace still had a raceable car, but he deliberately took out Larson and Larson hit Bell. I don't understand why he thinks taking out Larson is worth not still being in the race.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:41 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Pockrass is a dork... he's good entertainment though when he is interviewing someone like Tony Stewart or Harvick. Typical "jounalist".

"There are so many good things to write about in our sport, and there are a couple reporters out there who want to be tabloid journalists and unfortunately, he's one of them."

https://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012...ss-nascar-2012

Not that Gluck is much better... It's a bizarre phenomenon to me but most sports media are from the lighter side of the aisle for some reason... maybe they just want fit in.

Last edited by silas777; 10-19-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-19-2022, 09:36 AM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
After scraping the wall, I believe Wallace still had a raceable car, but he deliberately took out Larson and Larson hit Bell. I don't understand why he thinks taking out Larson is worth not still being in the race.

I don't know.. At a short track, I'd agree with you.. Even in the draft at Daytona/Talladega or at a road course.. But at a high speed track like Vegas.. That damage was pretty significant. It wasn't going to be a fun day and he probably wound up several laps down, but I think he still could have made minimum speed.

I also suspect that the toe on the front or back (or both) was probably not in good shape, which.. probably would have led to tire issues later on.

At BEST.. I'd say he could have finished about 6 spots higher than he did.

The interesting thing.. Which no one has brought up yet.

The #5 is still in the running for the championship.. On the owners side.

5 is in, the 12 is out.. All goes back to the fact that the 45 won.. The 12 never made the chase for the owners championship. So, as long as the 12 keeps advancing, there's going to be a mismatch between who is eligible for the drivers and owners championship.

45 was eliminated after the round of 12. So, the other thing that happened here is that the 45 basically made it so that the 5 is in a must win here in the round of 8.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I'm not a psychologist, but I do play one on public forums.
Because he is governed by emotions not critical thinking.
No seriously, the kid is an emotional basket case, you combine that with his immaturity and what we saw at Vegas is the result. Watch his post-race interviews whether he wins or loses the kid is a mess. You would think working with Jordan would help that. Never been a big NBA fan but seems to me Jordan was always somewhat of a class act. I think Kurt can and has helped also... Lord knows he's been there.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
45 was eliminated after the round of 12. So, the other thing that happened here is that the 45 basically made it so that the 5 is in a must win here in the round of 8.
I don't really understand/follow the manufacturer championship points.

The top finishing car from each manufacturer is what is accounted for in the manufacturer’s total for the race weekend.

A manufacturer earns 40 points for a race win, 35 points for second, 34 for third and so on, deducting one point per position. Unlike driver and owner point standings, there are no Stage bonus points for the Manufacturer Championship standings.

So if the 9 wins a few races and the 5 don't, why is it a must win for the 5 to advance?

Old 10-19-2022, 12:14 PM

This is pretty Cool, had the opportunity to meet Larry and chat for a few with my boys, One of the best, total class act!

https://www.jayski.com/2022/10/19/la...oenix-raceway/

“Larry Fitzgerald, Jr. epitomizes the best of sports, both on and off the field,” said Phoenix Raceway President Julie Giese. “His amazing accomplishments with the Arizona Cardinals are surpassed by the leadership and devotion he’s shown to our community and our world as a philanthropist and entrepreneur. We’re honored to have a man of his stature join us for our season finale.”

Old 10-19-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This is pretty Cool, had the opportunity to meet Larry and chat for a few with my boys, One of the best, total class act!

https://www.jayski.com/2022/10/19/la...oenix-raceway/

“Larry Fitzgerald, Jr. epitomizes the best of sports, both on and off the field,” said Phoenix Raceway President Julie Giese. “His amazing accomplishments with the Arizona Cardinals are surpassed by the leadership and devotion he’s shown to our community and our world as a philanthropist and entrepreneur. We’re honored to have a man of his stature join us for our season finale.”
Always enjoyed watching him play, especially when Kurt Warner was QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing