Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2023, 11:46 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Carl is.. Complicated.

My thoughts on him sorta follow the Robby Gordon statement on Michael Waltrip.. Remember that one? "Everyone think Michael is this great guy.. He's a piece of #*$%!"

Not knocking his talent or anything.., But either that nice guy image was just a facade or.. He had some real anger control issues at times.
100% He had that good old boy, aw shucks, Cousin Carl thing going up until he didn't. The one that stood out to me was when he confronted Matt (his teammate ) and acted like he was going to punch him, because Matt didn't help him enough or some lame reason. Matt Kenseth of all people! He definitely has some physco tendencies. Like you wouldn't be shocked if one day you heard on the news that he snapped and did something horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 12:16 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
One more comment about Gateway. Mike Joy, twice said that the track was sold out. Even mentioned this was the third consecutive sell out.

Does the track consider 75% of seats filled a sell out? The one grandstand on the front stretch looked full, but the one, I believe, on turn 1 and 2 had a considerable amount of empty spaces in the grandstands.
I saw this and thought about this thread. Stands are packed, not quite "full" but packed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IftxUlNLDCI

Old 06-07-2023, 02:47 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
100% He had that good old boy, aw shucks, Cousin Carl thing going up until he didn't. The one that stood out to me was when he confronted Matt (his teammate ) and acted like he was going to punch him, because Matt didn't help him enough or some lame reason. Matt Kenseth of all people! He definitely has some physco tendencies. Like you wouldn't be shocked if one day you heard on the news that he snapped and did something horrific.

I think Matt really is as nice as he seems.. Until you push him too far. Just ask Joey Logano.

There's a difference there.. It's subtle, but.. There is a difference.

But.. How would we classify Jeff Gordon using these metrics? Remember his run ins with Kenseth (Shoving him on pit road) or Bowyer? I think.. He's in between the two of them somewhere.

The other difference i'll bring up here. Kenseth did it the right way. I mean, as much as you can. He took Logano out at Martinsville, where.. Let's be honest, really long odds of someone being hurt as the speeds are so low.. But, then you have to ask if that race had been at Atlanta, would he still have taken him out? I.. Tend to think he would have done it at Atlanta, but.. Still would have done it the right way, whether that was wrecking him under caution or coming out of the pits or similar... NOT like what Carl did, which.. He's.. Pretty lucky there wasn't an injury to Brad there. That was a scary wreck.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:47 AM

9,504 posts, read 9,818,992 times
It's funny about all of these negative comments about Carl Edwards. Although, most likely spot on, the fans at North Wilkesboro couldn't get enough of Carl. Most fans have short memories. I was impressed with his color commentary during the broadcast on FOX.

Dale Jr said he would love to put Carl in a DJM car, even though Jr once texted Carl that he was glad that Jr's "win" at a rain shortened race knocked Carl out of the final 4 that season.

It appears that Jr is letting by-gones be by-gone.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
It's funny about all of these negative comments about Carl Edwards. Although, most likely spot on, the fans at North Wilkesboro couldn't get enough of Carl. Most fans have short memories. I was impressed with his color commentary during the broadcast on FOX.

Dale Jr said he would love to put Carl in a DJM car, even though Jr once texted Carl that he was glad that Jr's "win" at a rain shortened race knocked Carl out of the final 4 that season.

It appears that Jr is letting by-gones be by-gone.

Believe it was Darlington, wasn't it?

And.. Yes.. the backflip.. Very likable person.. WE all just.. Don't quite believe that is the real Carl Edwards.

Carl won't be back. Not for more than a one off or something. which means, generally.. He's not going to be competitive.

I'd expect more for him to run in Xfinity or Trucks.. Those cars haven't changed as much since he left. Remember, he has zero experience in the new car.

His sudden retirement just whet appetite for him. Brilliant move from a marketing standpoint.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Believe it was Darlington, wasn't it?

And.. Yes.. the backflip.. Very likable person.. WE all just.. Don't quite believe that is the real Carl Edwards.

Carl won't be back. Not for more than a one off or something. which means, generally.. He's not going to be competitive.

I'd expect more for him to run in Xfinity or Trucks.. Those cars haven't changed as much since he left. Remember, he has zero experience in the new car.

His sudden retirement just whet appetite for him. Brilliant move from a marketing standpoint.
I agree and yes, Darlington!!

Old 06-09-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I agree and yes, Darlington!!

Let's chew over this for a moment. All speculation.. But.. Why do you think he retired so suddenly?

My theory is.. His wife probably had much to do with it, but, also the fact that at the time he retired, his kids were.. I think about 6 and 4.. Thereabouts.

I think, between the two of them, they saw how demanding time was to compete full time.. Kids were starting to get where they'd go to school which would be problematic so far as them coming to the races every weekend.

Not saying his wife pressured him. I think both of them probably just looked at things and decided.. He had made enough money, he was still rather marketable.. He didn't really need to drive anymore.

I think it was less to do with his safety, though I'm sure in the back of minds, that was a thought.. I think they just really wanted him around more and with the kids hitting school age, that was going to be more and more problematic.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:49 PM

Also.. Don't think anyone has brought this up yet.. But Gragson is out at Sonoma after his hard crash last week.

Again.. I see this as nothing but a good thing. I like that if someone isn't 100% they can sit out a race with no major repercussions on winning a championship. No one wants to see a Ricky Rudd situation where someone is driving with their eyes taped open or a hand velcroed to the shifter like Davey Allison.

Not that Gragson was really a threat to make the chase, but..

I'm a little conflicted on the Chase Elliott situation. The injury? Fine. The suspension.. Hmm.. One.. Yeah, I am OK.. But, what if someone was suspended for 2 races? Or 4? There's certainly a difference there.

And.. What about the Kyle Busch situation from '15? At what point are they out too long from an injury to compete? I mean, at least with Kyle's situation, he still had to get into the top 30/35.. That's gone now.

Hopefully, noone has posted about Gragson in the 2 hours it took me to write this.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:51 AM

As for Carl, I agree that he put his family before career. Lord knows we need good fathers to be around the house. That along with just narrowly losing the championship in 2016 were probably the factors.

I heard that Carl took up sailing and did a major sailing excursion with his family in the Atlantic...all the way to Italy.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:59 AM

Thought Sonoma was a bit lackluster. Being mostly all green flag laps was interesting though.

The NextGen cars still are not exciting on RC race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing