Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's ridiculous. State Farm charges $2/month extra to have premiums billed and paid automatically on a monthly basis rather than paying semi-annually.
As of mid April 2027 ... Two cars $666 every 6 months.
$29 discount if monthly automatic draft.
$89 discount if paid in full ... x2 = $178 / yr.
Progressive Ins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 03:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I'm in Ohio and that sounds about right to me. Thats $62.50 a month
Ohio has the cheapest insurance rates inthe USA, so if it sounds reasonable to a buckeye, it probably is reasonable.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
If you have any assets you don't want low liability​ coverage ... even $100,000 / $300,000 is low these days.
Paying bi-annually or annually (if allowed) saves a significant % ... as in several hundred dollars versus paying monthly.

And yes, the OP's rate seems high ... but of course it depends on exactly where the vehicle is located.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's ridiculous. State Farm charges $2/month extra to have premiums billed and paid automatically on a monthly basis rather than paying semi-annually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
As of mid April 2027 ... Two cars $666 every 6 months.
$29 discount if monthly automatic draft.
$89 discount if paid in full ... x2 = $178 / yr.
Progressive Ins.
1. I'm not sure how your experience with Progressive is relevant to mine with State Farm.

2. You made a general, generic statement that paying monthly costs several hundreds of dollars more which I have already shown is patently false.

3. In your example with Progressive, the difference is $120/year ($89-$29 x 2). Tell us again how that equates to a difference of several hundreds of dollars a year. Or do you define several differently from the rest of us?

4. Even using your flawed math of $178 (because you failed to account for the $29 x2 for automatic monthly payment), you still failed to meet your own target of saving several hundreds of dollar.

5. Oh, and I was wrong about the State Farm surcharge. It is only $1/month, not $2, so the total cost is $12/year. Progressive is ripping people off by charging $10/month for this service; I'd be curious to see how else they're ripping off their customers.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM

193 posts, read 183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
So you are paying $132 a year for liability only? Make sure you are doing apples/apples comparison. Insurance rate is very difficult to compare between policies.

OP: Go onto your Geico account and change that Tahoe to a Honda CRV.. see what it cost.
Yes liability. Full coverage on my other car and my house. With allstate.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,491 times
I hate to bring this up as I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, however you will find that "Blue States" generally have higher insurance costs, particularly in the Northeast .... you mentioned you live in PA, someone in TX compared his rates for his Porsche, you can't compare TX rates to PA rates.... TX has some of the lowest rates in the country

a terrible Florida driver with tickets/accidents will pay less than a perfect driver in Los Angeles CA

the biggest factors are:

YOU:
1- driving record
2- credit history
3- age and sex

YOUR LOCATION:
1- zip code

VEHICLE
1- vehicle weight and type
2- safety features

all that being said you should shop around and you will probably save money

Last edited by azsportpilot; 06-21-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I live in PA and i pay $750 a year for basic liability<>Does $750 sound normal or should i look elsewhere?
Liability depends on you, not so much the car. Some say you should change insurance companies every 3 years or so.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:57 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A little know item is that all insurance companies have liability scores for vehicles. This isn't how that vehicle protects you and reduces damages to itself, it's what your vehicle causes when it comes into contact with other vehicles and people. Because your Tahoe has the physical potential to cause much more damages, injury or death compered to a Chevy Spark, they will rate you vehicle resulting in higher premiums and the Spark will have lower premium all based on liability scoring. It's not easy to find this information out as it's not required to be discloses since it's built into the base premium.
That's not actually true - one of the most significant components of "liability" insurance is the safety of the passengers you're carrying (your liability coverage pays for their injuries). - so having a vehicle with airbags and physical *mass* helps. In your example of the "spark", the passengers would be likely suffer injuries because the car is a glorified beer-can and has no physical mass.

Back in the day, I actually visited my agent & looked through the books that rated vehicles for safety- my conclusion (and my agent's advice) were to look at vehicles that had real bumpers - not painted "fascias" , as they do a better job of protecting the passengers. My concern at the time was "damage my big car could cause" - and my agent's response was the damage you're going to cause is mostly cheap stuff (cars) - injured people cost more to fix than cars do. Not many cars cost even $30k, $30k is one day in a hospital for a person.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
This.
$750 for just liability is extremely high for me. To put it in perspective, I pay $1k per year for full coverage at 300k/500k coverage limits for a Porsche 911 turbo. That's with a $500 deductible too IIRC. This is in TX, I'm the same age as you.
You are way under insured. You should be carrying $1million with a blanket policy. That expensive car is a real lawsuit magnet.
PA is a no fault state and that was supposed to cut down on suits and costs. Didn't really work out, I guess.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ohio has the cheapest insurance rates inthe USA, so if it sounds reasonable to a buckeye, it probably is reasonable.
What? No, it doesn't.

I pay $150 a year for a truck that's as old as OP's, and this ain't in Ohio.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
As OP is in PA, it's depends on his proximity to NYC. Close enough he is considered as part of the NYC Metro Area. The closer he is, the higher his insurance is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive