Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these will be producing vehicles at the end of the 2020s?
Bollinger 1 1.35%
Canoo 0 0%
Fisker 9 12.16%
Lordstown Motors 5 6.76%
Lucid Motors 17 22.97%
Rivian 34 45.95%
Other new American automaker (please specify) 0 0%
There will be no successful new American automaker 30 40.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 04:54 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For a bit there, it seemed like Canoo was almost certainly going down, but they somehow finagled a deal with Walmart for 4,500 electric delivery vans with the potential for 10,000:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ucks-purchase/
They definitely have some good ideas at Canoo, but there is more to succeeding at building a new car company than "having some good ideas" alone. Wish them the best - diversity of consumer choices is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 05:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
They definitely have some good ideas at Canoo, but there is more to succeeding at building a new car company than "having some good ideas" alone. Wish them the best - diversity of consumer choices is good.
Yea, I hope they make it, too.

I do wish someone would just go for it and try to figure out a reasonably safe cabover microvan design (kei vans) as the ultimate space efficient vehicle though. The Canoo has the face of one, but it's not actually one. I just love the old Mitsubishi Delicas. Something with that design but with a tiny more pronounced nose cone for a bit better aerodynamics and safety maybe with a bit of a frunk, a pop top roof with integrated solar panels, sliding doors, fold-flat rear seats, hub motors, and air suspension would be exactly one of two vehicles I want.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-12-2022 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 05:46 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I hope they make it, too.

I do wish someone would just go for it and try to figure out a reasonably safe cabover microvan design (kei vans) as the ultimate space efficient vehicle though. The Canoo has the face of one, but it's not actually one. I just love the old Mitsubishi Delicas. Something with that design but with a tiny more pronounced nose cone for a bit better aerodynamics and safety maybe with a bit of a frunk, a pop top roof with integrated solar panels, sliding doors, fold-flat rear seats, hub motors, and air suspension would be exactly one of two vehicles I want.
Not an easy task I am guessing - along the longitudinal axis, the driver is situated close to the front bumper, which means there isn't a lot of of space along that axis to gradually decelerate the vehicle if it strikes something of similar height, or to absorb impact energy prior to the other collision body striking the driver. You could put a massive steel structure up front, and nothing will touch the driver, but without that gradual deceleration space, he'll be killed by the forces exerted through the seat belts anyway. I see in bigger cabover vehicles, the driver is seated very high, and I can imagine short vehicles can to some extent pass underneath the driver, but even that prospect doesn't sound super safe?

Old 07-12-2022, 06:23 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
I was really intrigued by Canoo when I saw them on Jay Leno's show. Loved the van thing.
Then they moved to Arkansas.
Then they got involved with Walmart.
Now I have a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm from Arkansas originally. I should be excited for them, but... it's northwest Arkansas and it's Walmart.
Their cool factor just fell off the face of the earth.
Hopefully they'll surprise me anyway.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:09 PM

Lordstown Motors has gotten its EPA and CARB certifications and FMVSS crash and non-crash testing completed with its first customer vehicles out for delivery: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...-Delivery.html
It doesn't mean that they'll make it very far, but even making it first delivery seemed very unlikely for a while. Odd thing about getting those EPA certs is that they haven't announced their rated range and efficiency which makes me think it'll be pretty underwhelming

Old 12-02-2022, 12:31 PM

And here's a look at Canoo by Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Fleet delivery starts next year while retail supposedly starts the year afterwards. It's pretty surprising that it's looking like so many of these will actually make it into production with Rivian and Lucid already having produced and delivered, Lordstown starting deliveries this month, and both Canoo and Fisker seemingly close to production. Even Bollinger is at least nominally still around.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:31 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Good to see the Canoo is still kicking. If they build one for 2024 I'll definitely check it out. I'm not entirely sold on the wrap around seating of the LV but a lot depends on the adaptability of the configuration. I would say it does not appear to be a very comfortable roadtrip car but if you're giving up comfort for adaptability as a tradeoff. It's not going to be for everyone. I can see that The side jump seats I'm pretty dubious about from a safety or comfort perspective but wait on crash testing and comfort just what it is. It's a small vehicle, about 6" shorter than a Prius, so even if it's really just a four seater and the jump seats are just for lounging about in at your destination I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. The entire rear seat area ideally though needs to be stowable though. Kind of a micro camper van. Honestly though I'm more interested in what VW does with LWB ID.Buzz. Even the SWB dwarfs the Canoo but it's otherwise just conventional. What they do with the LWB, possibly the camper specific configuration is really more of interest to me.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:37 PM

Not quite as related since it's not for consumer vehicle usage, but apparently Canoo is pursuing military clientele as well:
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

It is interesting how they've worked themselves into bits and pieces of the government like their use as a NASA shuttle van. I think between that and the support from members of the Walmart family, it's looking pretty likely Canoo will make it into production if not necessarily through to the end of the 2020s.

So with the fairly recent Lordstown and Fisker news, this just leaves Bollinger of the ones mentioned without any imminent delivery dates though they do technically still exist.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:34 PM

Sandy Munro does a dive into the Canoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Sj2jJmug8

I'm a little weirded out that they aren't sliding doors. I think I'd particularly like front and rear sliding doors.

This is my favorite design so far of the new American automakers though still iffy if this one actually makes it into mass production for consumers let alone making it to the end of this decade. However, this, for this youtube channel, glowing review of the pre-production vehicle especially in its utility and engineering fundamentals is promising.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-11-2022 at 05:59 PM..

Old 12-21-2022, 05:17 PM

474 posts, read 263,332 times
Saw a recent press release that a Charlotte NC auto dealer, Randy Marion Automotive, had placed a firm order for 6,000 class 1 commercial vans with Mullen Automotive at a value of $200M.
My first reaction, who and who?

Did a little digging and am still skeptical. Shades of DeLorean? In the last 13 months the stock has tanked from $13 to $0.20. Doesn't inspire confidence.
They missed a self imposed deadline to launch a rebadged Chinese car this week, and are planning a luxury crossover at $55,000.
Anyone know more?

https://www.mullenusa.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullen_Technologies

https://news.mullenusa.com/mullen-au...-ev-cargo-vans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive