Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 12:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It also demonstrates that making inexpensive EVs is possible, and may help to put some pressure on other automakers to offer lower cost models.
So the Tata EV has a choice of 19.2 kWh battery or 24 kWh battery.
The Nissan LEAF from MY 2011–15 and MY 2016 S trim had a 24 kWh lithium-ion battery and 73 miles EPA rating.

The present day LEAF has a choice of two batteries: 40 kWh (149 mile) or 62 kWh (212 mile range) and sold 7,622 units in the first 6 months of 2022.

So it is my guess that he Tata EV will have zero effect on the choices for EVs in the US market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 02:12 PM

12,415 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The Nissan LEAF from MY 2011–15 and MY 2016 S trim had a 24 kWh lithium-ion battery and 73 miles EPA rating.

The present day LEAF has a choice of two batteries: 40 kWh (149 mile) or 62 kWh (212 mile range) and sold 7,622 units in the first 6 months of 2022.

So it is my guess that he Tata EV will have zero effect on the choices for EVs in the US market.
I agree that it's unlikely to be sold here, but that doesn't mean that a significant product can't move the status quo, IMO anyway.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:46 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

Tata will have no impact whatsoever on US market. Not their intent to sell in an already established and very competitive market. They are happy to sell their cars, trucks, and buses in Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:04 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Tata will have no impact whatsoever on US market. Not their intent to sell in an already established and very competitive market. They are happy to sell their cars, trucks, and buses in Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America.
You realize they've been selling cars here since 2008, no? They're not a huge player, around 100k a year in the US market, but it's not like they're Mitsubishi.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:35 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
Will all of them have to LOUD BEEP BEEP BEEP horns? lol

Old 10-01-2022, 12:48 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You realize they've been selling cars here since 2008, no? They're not a huge player, around 100k a year in the US market, but it's not like they're Mitsubishi.
You mean Jaguar and Land Rovers, that amount to less than 0.5% of total car sales in US? Yes, I stand by what I said, Tata will have no impact whatsoever on US market.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:58 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
The Suzuki Cultus is a supermini car produced by the Japanese manufacturer Suzuki first presented at the 25th Tokyo Motor Show October 28 to November 8, 1983. One option was a naturally aspirated 3 cylinder engine. The Cultus was morphed intothe Geo Metro, Chevy Swift, and Pontiac Firefly.

Today we still have one naturally aspirated 3 cylinder vehicle for sale in America, the 78 horsepower Mitsubushi Mirage with a 1.2L engine. The 2022 Mitsubishi Mirage ES hatchback starts at $14,645. EPA rates the Mirage as 36 mpg city and 43 mpg highway. Range in miles (city/hwy) 331.2 / 395.6 miles. It takes over 12 seconds to go from 0 to 60 mph, but it has a top speed of 112 mph. Towing capaciy is 1000 lbs.

US sales were under 10,000 for the first half of 2022.
  • 9,535 Mirage
  • 5,712 Eclipse Cross
  • 8,596 Outlander Sport
  • 23,303 Outlander
  • 1,126 Outlander PHEV
  • 48,272 Mitsubushi US sales first half of 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I agree that it's unlikely to be sold here, but that doesn't mean that a significant product can't move the status quo, IMO anyway.
It seems like a lot of people think America needs a basic 5 seat city vehicle that is inexpensive to purchase and to operate and is kind to the environment. Such a vehicle powered by a battery is the new twist.

But it seems to conflict with some primal urges. Even $5/gallon gas didn't alter the sales statistics of the Mitsubishi Mirage.

I am with you, and I hope the status quo moves. I think that privately owned supermini EVs are more possible than the idea that we won't own cars and simply purchase rides in driverless vehicles.

Mexico City VW Beetle Taxi Cabs

Old 10-01-2022, 05:19 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Well doesn't Germany just have one sales tax rate? We have 50 different sales tax rates.
More than 50.

I live in Texas.

The base sales tax rate in Texas is 6.25 %, but local jurisdictions can charge up to another 2% (8.25% overall ceiling).

I bought a new car (as a California resident, but I bought the car back east) about a year and a half before I moved to Texas.

Later, I bought my first car as a Texas resident, but I couldn't find the specific new car I wanted in Texas, so I went to Florida to buy the car.

I was paying cash, and the dealer charged me sales tax based on where my house is (The Woodlands, TX 8.25%).

I drove back to Texas and did the permanent registration.

I learned a few things from the savvy registration person:

1. Texas charges 6.25% on car purchases, no matter where in Texas you buy the car. This keeps dealers in areas where there is no addition to the state minimum 6.25% from having an advantage and it eliminates the motivation to use fake addresses in such jurisdictions to save money on the sales tax on a vehicle.

2. That there is a reciprocal agreement between Texas and Florida, that Texas doesn't get any of the tax money I paid, and if a Florida resident bought a new car in Texas (the opposite of what I did), that taxing entities in Florida wouldn't get any of that money. She said that the dealer had ripped me off...that they should have charged me the same as a Florida resident, which was less (less than the 8.25% I paid), and the difference was worth pursuing. As it turned out, I didn't have to pursue it because when I opened my mail that day there was a check from the dealership.....their accounting department caught what the sales department had tried to do. It was still wrong, but it was only off by $2.00 or $3.00....not worth calling about. I purchased the vehicle in Manatee County and they had one tax rate for the first blah blah blah amount (the first 5K, IIRC), and a different sales tax rate for the rest.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
It's interesting to see non-Chinese automakers also compete in this field since this has been a burgeoning part of the global automotive fleet. It's also interesting to see the prices for these battery price capacities as they help illustrate the sea change in pricing. I believe these vehicles are actually on a shared platform with existing ICE vehicles and their reach for those vehicles is broader than just India, so it's reasonable to expect the same for the EVs. It's also good that Tata Motors is getting more acquainted and familiar with EVs as they do have a presence here with Jaguar Land Rover and they supposedly are in the midst of developing EV platforms to be launched here. It won't likely include this vehicle, but perhaps there will be things learned from this rollout or shared development and production costs in some things.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:13 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It is surprising they can produce and sell the vehicle for a profit even in India for $10K. EVs are obviously loaded with electronics, batteries and computer components which are not available in India for much less than in China or any other place.

Just for entertainment, I looked up the prices on economy EVs available in Germany. Aside from a few very small cars under $25K, most of the economy EVs are $30K to $40K, before any government incentives or rebates. Of course, prices are in Euro, but the dollar and Euro are worth almost the same right now, The article is in German, but you can look at the table in the middle and see the list of vehicles and prices. They also list the battery capacity in KW, kw consumption per 100 km and range in kilometers.

I forgot to note, the prices in the article include 19% sales tax. Prices in Germany always include sales tax, unlike in the US.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...-elektroautos/
Seems to me if we are going to make people buy EV's in the coming decade and its urgent because of climate change, etc. Why not let these low end EV's that sell for $5k or $10k into the country? People in China and India are buying them. How unsafe can they really be? We let people ride motorcycles on the freeway. That is way more dangerous than these EV's. Yet we are worried about bumpers on these cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive