Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 10:46 AM

12,705 posts, read 9,883,879 times

Advertisements

India's Tata Motors - a pretty large company that also makes a range of ICE vehicles, has announced a small EV that will start at about $10K. It's a small hatchback, and no doubt, it's not going to be super-sophisticated or super capable. Nevertheless, this could have a significant impact - India is one of the world's most populous nations, and this could accelerate EV adoption there. It also demonstrates that making inexpensive EVs is possible, and may help to put some pressure on other automakers to offer lower cost models. Tesla charges more than $10K just for their "full self driving" software app - this is an entire car for less.

See:
https://electrek.co/2022/09/28/tata-...-electric-car/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 12:13 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,467,294 times
It is surprising they can produce and sell the vehicle for a profit even in India for $10K. EVs are obviously loaded with electronics, batteries and computer components which are not available in India for much less than in China or any other place.

Just for entertainment, I looked up the prices on economy EVs available in Germany. Aside from a few very small cars under $25K, most of the economy EVs are $30K to $40K, before any government incentives or rebates. Of course, prices are in Euro, but the dollar and Euro are worth almost the same right now, The article is in German, but you can look at the table in the middle and see the list of vehicles and prices. They also list the battery capacity in KW, kw consumption per 100 km and range in kilometers.

I forgot to note, the prices in the article include 19% sales tax. Prices in Germany always include sales tax, unlike in the US.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...-elektroautos/

Old 09-28-2022, 12:20 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I forgot to note, the prices in the article include 19% sales tax. Prices in Germany always include sales tax, unlike in the US.

Well doesn't Germany just have one sales tax rate? We have 50 different sales tax rates.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:07 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,883,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It is surprising they can produce and sell the vehicle for a profit even in India for $10K. EVs are obviously loaded with electronics, batteries and computer components which are not available in India for much less than in China or any other place.

Just for entertainment, I looked up the prices on economy EVs available in Germany. Aside from a few very small cars under $25K, most of the economy EVs are $30K to $40K, before any government incentives or rebates. Of course, prices are in Euro, but the dollar and Euro are worth almost the same right now, The article is in German, but you can look at the table in the middle and see the list of vehicles and prices. They also list the battery capacity in KW, kw consumption per 100 km and range in kilometers.

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeu...-elektroautos/
Absolutely, I was shocked at the price - even selling a simple ICE vehicle for $10K is no mean feat. The lower labor costs in India and lack of foreign taxes because this is the domestic price must help, but still... I don't think that labor costs in India and China are *that* cheap anymore like they were 10+ years ago - I understood that pay was rising there already years ago for professional jobs in global companies as workers were demanding a higher standard of living. This cost will help more people be able to afford an EV in India. I wonder what comparable Chinese EVs go for inside China?

Old 09-28-2022, 01:21 PM

9,658 posts, read 9,955,031 times
But it'll cost $60k for a replacement battery in 10 years!!

...will be the next post somewhere in this thread....

Old 09-28-2022, 01:24 PM

3,721 posts, read 4,896,179 times
Look at the cars! They're pieces of crap! Would you feel remotely safe in some Indian tin can if even a dog tripped into your door while it was taking a leak on your tire? I sure wouldn't as that little mutt would probably crumble that thing up like aluminum foil!

Old 09-28-2022, 01:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,205,659 times
Tata Group is one of the largest business houses in India. It also owns Jaguar and Range Rover, just so you know. Tata Motors has a history of producing no-frills automobiles. Consider the Tata Nano that was developed in 2008 and sold for 100,000 rupees, equivalent to $1,300 back then. $10k is inexpensive for an EV even for India, and I assume this will be a barebone car and price will build up with additional non-luxury features. The average driving mileage is quiet low in India, and so is the necessity for luxury features as compared to the western world, so I assume these EVs will be very welcome and successful in India.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:40 PM

3,417 posts, read 1,805,348 times
I think the actual cost of Tesla Model 3 in terms of materials and parts is around $7k. Of course there are other costs such as the design and software. But Tesla is making a killing on every Tesla.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:44 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think the actual cost of Tesla Model 3 in terms of materials and parts is around $7k. Of course there are other costs such as the design and software. But Tesla is making a killing on every Tesla.
Well what Tesla is trying to do was capture the luxury market. Till they put a lot of tech and creature comforts and other gobbledygook and them. Plus if it didn't cost $60,000 everyone went by them and they wouldn't be considered luxury.

I honestly don't know why they're not costing about five or $6,000 because they're electric they should be cheap. Everybody talks about how few parts they have but then again the highest cost part and it is the battery by far. And that's only going to go up short of some breakthrough and battery technology.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 745,074 times
Image a friendly golf-cart hitting a pedestrian and tearing their leg off.

But here is a link to a category of car, a quadricycle, not allowed in the U.S.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Twizy

Now the best electric-vehicle ever built was the BMW i3 at less than 3000 pounds weight and with a driving range of 153 miles

Last edited by T Block; 09-28-2022 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive