Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 01:39 PM

25,913 posts, read 18,919,401 times

Advertisements

Sarah -n- Tuned

So, yeah, her content is interesting, she's bright, her Toyota build is cool, but I must admit that is not the primary reason I like watching her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 02:20 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
He doesn't even have a shop. And he lies about all his experiences with so many cars of every conceivable make and model.

There is absolutely NO WAY one man has performed all those repairs working in his driveway.

Every other post has a totally BS clickbait title about how this is his last post or some such crap.

His frenetic delivery is sort of annoying.

You would have to search very far and wide to find a single experienced automotive shop owner who has any respect for him whatsoever. This one certainly doesn't.

Sad to say his line of crap seems to be making him $$$.

Didn't he also put out a video a while back that 1234yf was going to cause vehicles to start bursting into flames?

I don't own a shop and have no respect for the guy. Anyone with any common sense shouldn't be listening to the guy.

Any valid points that he might have, and I couldn't name one.. More because I don't watch his videos than anything because.. Hey.. blind squirrel/acorn. So, he had to have been right SOMEWHERE... are just outweighed by the alarmist, overly generic and flat out wrong information he spews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Guy is great at troubleshooting. I've learned a lot from him.

I also like "I do cars"
He's the one I enjoy watching the most and feel that I do learn the most from. Most times, we're heading down the same paths, but I learn all kinds of new ways or different ways of doing things.. Some are easier.. Some not so much.
What I learn most from him is double and triple checking things. he had one a few weeks ago where a radio module was causing a parasitic draw.. About halfway through the video, I called.. Yep, bad radio module.. But, he went even further and basically connected power to the radio with no other connections, because he was concerned that a button on the steering wheel was stuck and kept 'waking' the radio.

I.. Didn't even consider that. Now.. End of day, it wound up being the radio.. But.. If I had done it.. I could have gotten burned. AND.. Not only that.. it was a radio from a 2014 Chevy that is made out of unobtainium. Can't get it anymore.

He actually tracked down a junkyard that checked the radio module and made sure it was the right module and then found a shop that would wipe the VIN from it so that he could reprogram it.

I also learned that it apparently takes about 4 hours to burn a VIN into that GM radio module!

Old 04-25-2024, 02:23 PM

9,542 posts, read 4,369,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Sarah -n- Tuned

So, yeah, her content is interesting, she's bright, her Toyota build is cool, but I must admit that is not the primary reason I like watching her.
Also one of my favorites. I like the way she gets completely carried away with cars most people don't even think about and lavishes as much (or more) attention to detail on a mid 1970's Toyota (just one example) as most folks do on a highly collectable muscle car. She just loves cars, as do I, with no regard to it's rareness or collectability.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:39 PM

25,913 posts, read 18,919,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Also one of my favorites. I like the way she gets completely carried away with cars most people don't even think about and lavishes as much (or more) attention to detail on a mid 1970's Toyota (just one example) as most folks do on a highly collectable muscle car. She just loves cars, as do I, with no regard to it's rareness or collectability.
The videos she did recently about the wiring on that Toyota blew my mind. I'd have been in a panic attack--car wiring has always given me nightmares (even the old stuff). But she had it all diagrammed out on the whiteboard and everything was amazingly ordered. So much attention to detail. And did the whole thing basically from scratch. Incredibly impressive on her part.

Old 04-26-2024, 11:33 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's the one I enjoy watching the most and feel that I do learn the most from. Most times, we're heading down the same paths, but I learn all kinds of new ways or different ways of doing things.. Some are easier.. Some not so much.
What I learn most from him is double and triple checking things. he had one a few weeks ago where a radio module was causing a parasitic draw.. About halfway through the video, I called.. Yep, bad radio module.. But, he went even further and basically connected power to the radio with no other connections, because he was concerned that a button on the steering wheel was stuck and kept 'waking' the radio.

I.. Didn't even consider that. Now.. End of day, it wound up being the radio.. But.. If I had done it.. I could have gotten burned. AND.. Not only that.. it was a radio from a 2014 Chevy that is made out of unobtainium. Can't get it anymore.

He actually tracked down a junkyard that checked the radio module and made sure it was the right module and then found a shop that would wipe the VIN from it so that he could reprogram it.

I also learned that it apparently takes about 4 hours to burn a VIN into that GM radio module!
That Channel (South Main Auto) is just troubleshooting gold.

I learned a lot about how to use diagnostic tools to help troubleshoot before even getting your hands dirty. I ended up buying an Xtools D7, which is very similar in software to the Autel he uses because of the channel. With that i've learned how to read data and use the various output features to troubleshoot. His methods are sound and I like how he confirms the issue vs firing off the parts cannon. You right, he never assumes he tests all variables until he's reasonably sure he'd identified the issue even when i'm ready to slap a part on. He has a logical approach to each problem. Probably the only mechanic i might consider letting work on my car.

I've used the D7 a few times, and one of the things i love is the newer the vehicle, the more information you can get with the tool that makes diagnosis MUCH easier than older OBD2 vehicles.

I used the tool on a 1996 vehicle, which is mechanically easier to work on, but very primitive in terms of the OBD2 live data it shows and the bidirectional features. For instance, it could count misfires, but couldn't tell you what cylinder it was on. Made troubleshooting with the scan tool harder. Then i hooked up to a new vehicle and there is SO much more you can control and do, and much more information points it displays.

Old 04-26-2024, 03:40 PM

17,641 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That Channel (South Main Auto) is just troubleshooting gold.

I learned a lot about how to use diagnostic tools to help troubleshoot before even getting your hands dirty. I ended up buying an Xtools D7, which is very similar in software to the Autel he uses because of the channel. With that i've learned how to read data and use the various output features to troubleshoot. His methods are sound and I like how he confirms the issue vs firing off the parts cannon. You right, he never assumes he tests all variables until he's reasonably sure he'd identified the issue even when i'm ready to slap a part on. He has a logical approach to each problem. Probably the only mechanic i might consider letting work on my car.

I've used the D7 a few times, and one of the things i love is the newer the vehicle, the more information you can get with the tool that makes diagnosis MUCH easier than older OBD2 vehicles.

I used the tool on a 1996 vehicle, which is mechanically easier to work on, but very primitive in terms of the OBD2 live data it shows and the bidirectional features. For instance, it could count misfires, but couldn't tell you what cylinder it was on. Made troubleshooting with the scan tool harder. Then i hooked up to a new vehicle and there is SO much more you can control and do, and much more information points it displays.

I really learned testing relative compression from him. Previously, I'd just measure compression on each cylinder.. But.. Yeah, you hook up and crank it over in clear flood and look at the amp draw. Trigger it off cylinder 1 and.. Makes it pretty dang easy to figure out if a cylinder isn't contributing. Life saver on all those engines that you have to pull the intake to get to the back set of plugs.

Doesn't tell you WHY it isn't contributing, but.. You get a loss of compression on a cylinder in a 20 year old Honda.. that's probably the stopping point on diagnostics anyway.

Now, he deals with many things that I never see, because he's in upstate NY and I'm in the upstate of SC..

Some things.. I think the fuel control module on GM vehicles.. The blind spot warning modules.. Even airbag sensors.. He's done a number of videos on replacing those where they've swelled up due to salt water intrusion.. I've never encountered a single one of those being bad here. Of course.. we don't have salt on the roads.

I do find it astounding that he has a 2016 vehicle come into his shop and "It's about ready for the crusher".. an 8 year old vehicle!

Old 04-29-2024, 11:05 AM

15,811 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I do find it astounding that he has a 2016 vehicle come into his shop and "It's about ready for the crusher".. an 8 year old vehicle!
I get a kick out of that too.

I'm in MA, so i'm not far from him. They throw down a ton of salt here as well and I've had 10 year old vehicles still look pretty good underneath despite this. Some of the cars that roll into his shop look like they are 20-30 years old by the amount of corrosion on the underside. It's amazing.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:15 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,076,032 times
Curious Cars
Regular Car Reviews
Old Car Memories
MotorWeek
Repair Geek
Morfab Industries
Rainman Ray's Repairs
Car Wizard

Old 04-29-2024, 08:54 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,415,420 times
I noticed Steve Magnante is back with some older stuff, but good stuff. I will support him for sure as he returns from a brush with death.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:18 PM

1,862 posts, read 840,139 times
Watch religiously and in order from most to least watched:
Just Rolled In
The Straight Pipes
Noriyaro
Junk Yard Digs
Vice Grip Garage
Tasty Classics (the British version of vice grip garage)
TFL Truck

Used to watch, but find myself not interested in anymore:
Donut Media
CarWow
Sammit
Steve's POV
Ammo NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive