Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:18 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
An Urban Legend?...
Sadly, no. I'm sure the situation with TWA was true, but the aviation industry has changed drastically since the late 1980's. Major commercial aviation has evolved to have more than half of US flights operated by contracted carriers...formerly these airlines are referred to as "regional" which harkens back to the days when these small airlines were operated in specific geographical regions of the country, normally reaching out to neighboring states. When I was flying for my "regional" airline, our home base was St. Louis, but we only hubbed for American out of that domicile, we'd hub and spoke for United out of Chicago and Dulles, and use Phildelphia and Pittsburgh (back when it was a hub) for US Airways...our "region" was pretty much everything East of Denver, although we occasionally did runs to Albuquerque.

As a regional pilot, my starting wage was $19/hr, and federally limited to 1000 hours of flying/yr. Flight attendants were starting in the $15/hr range. My "salaried" paychecks that 1st year were about $650 for 2 weeks, so to the original topic, yep, FAs did qualify for foodstamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
When I was a newhire rj pilot, our class had a visit from HR. She told us that wearing the uniform while applying for food stamps was a fireable offense. This was because there had been several incidents prior where people had done this explicitely to make a point. The company wasn't amused.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM

361 posts, read 748,323 times
Cannot think of a worse job, from almost every single point of view. No matter how you analyze it, it is awful.

There is no glamour in flying. It is nothing but a major pain in the behind, and anyone who argues with that has not done enough of it to know.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So can a pharmacist...in fact, they'll do it sooner, be home more, have a more flexible schedule, and more control over their future.
So go become a pharmacist for pete's sake

Not sure why pilots like to compare to other professions, one can become a commercial multi rated pilot in 90 days from ATP. Can you become a pharmacist in 90 days?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So go become a pharmacist for pete's sake

Not sure why pilots like to compare to other professions, one can become a commercial multi rated pilot in 90 days from ATP. Can you become a pharmacist in 90 days?
I've got no beef in the fight anymore, I'm out, just speaking to what's going on in the world. The most common phrase I heard was "pilots are like doctors" but that's not further from the truth, pilots are vehicle operators, plain and simple. The only major difference is that there vehicle is in the air, whereas a bus driver, train conductor, or backhoe operator are all on the ground. The other major difference is the requirements to do said job, getting your CDL will cost you several thousand dollars, but you'll burn through that halfway through your private pilot certificate. The "Zero to Hero" route will be dry soon, after the 1500 hour minimum requirements that the airlines are starting to deal with. The major carriers won't be hurting for pilots, as there are plenty at the regional level to fill the void...the regionals will have to find a way to really lure people into their seats again, it's possible that simply seeing the "movement" to the majors might lure some back...but if that's not enough, the regional airlines will have to come up with a better solution to their problem...If pay increases to "acceptable" levels, the regionals will no longer be viable to the major carriers, and it might make sense to bring the flying back in house...If so, the industry might be able to "right itself" again. This correction is just happening via the rudder instead of the ailerons. (aka, it's taking a while)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 AM

175 posts, read 406,105 times
The times have changed.....in the 70's-early 80's, I would fly on my roommates ID...nobody ever looked. And if we both wanted to go somewhere nobody ever said a word-she paid the tax for her, I was thankfully ignored. We also deadheaded, which doesn't even exist anymore!
Not a FA, but SO and FO for US airlines are ok pay. I know FO that started at $22,000/first year, then took a big jump up. FA! I do not know now, but it is much less glamorous/easy to fly than it was then! International FA had it made then! Not so much now on US owned-domestic or international.
What about FedEx? No FA, but if you are oriented to being the 'bus in the sky driver'.. You must have a horrendous amount of hours/ratings to qualify, but the pay is good, even in the beginning. A friend works for them- strict, good pay/benies, good places to go, limited hours.
Or if you can think SOFO, work your way up to one of the largest internationals.... Quanta's, Emirates or Qatar? Lots of countries to fly to/out of, even if short visits.
Hope you can do what you want! (If you can consider medical-even RN, you can work for US Federal Gov't, work 6 months, request a transfer, they pay for all moving expenses. That is how I saw the sights...good pay and housing).
Good luck!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:22 PM

149 posts, read 256,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I was thinking about working as a flight attendant for a couple years to see the world/america. I make 25k now, even though its little money, i dont mind if i apply and get a job. but then i read online about how FA's get paid 18 k a year, and they only get paid while the door is shut, and lots of other stuff going on.

Also, do FA's get free parking at the airport? or they have to drive there, pay parking per day, and sometimes they will be out of the city for a few days.

It doesnt seem like a good job at all, at least if i make 25k a year compared to the 18k, i can just use the extra 7k and travel to 14 places over america (if each place costs 500, for the round trip ticket , I did not include food since if i was a FA, and i flew for free, I still have to pay for the hotel and food). the 500 round trip is on the high side also!

i'm not here to bash the industry, but my dreams were a little wiped out when i saw what former FA's said in blogs and articles. it seems like a thankless job.

I can answer this one easily as I am a flight attendant with 22 years, it is not an easy job first there is the interview which more then 90% of the applicants will not even get to the second interview. You get paid 2 types of pay one is Airtime from the time the wheels leave the runway till the time they touch back down that is usually the most money (I make 25 an hour air time) then there is the pre diem which is what you are paid for all layover and from the time you clock in till you clock out (usually is is 2-7 dollars pre hour)
I can tell you that now a days to be a flight attendant be prepared to stay on reserve for at least 10 years
(you won't be able to hold any lines and will be told where to fly) I am a multiple line holder and can bid my trips.

Flight attendants do get free parking at their bases, and let me tell you that is something you do not choose. So if let's say you are living in Tampa FL you may not be able to get that as a base you might have to move to Dallas TX, and new hired FA's have to move to there base for at least 6 months before they are eligible to commute, I live in the Chicago area but I am based in LAX.

Travel is totally different then what it was 20-30 years ago when the passes ment something, I can jump seat and travel standby on other carriers but it is a pain in the ass, the reason is I have to check the loads to make sure I can possibly get a seat and then I have to wait to see if the flight as over booked or if there are standby's that have a higher priority then myself. Standby is not easy anymore and you have to not only do the outbound but also the in. I have had many friends who have taken trips only to get stuck and un able to fly back and a few have had to shell out thousands of dollars to make sure they got back to there base so they could work.

The work is very hard, very demanding, and very tiring. You have to put up with 100 + people and all kinds of complaints as well as illness and sometimes very long hours. I am a purser and work the long haul international flight usually 10+ hours sometimes as much as 17 hours. I am two years away from taking full retirement which I plan to do.

Also most Airlines that are hiring now require a college education and a multi language speaker, (I speak 4)

Last edited by FlyBoyDC10AA; 05-30-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM

50 posts, read 100,913 times
I was a Flight Attendant from 2006-2011. The first two years on the job was financially rough. After taxes I took home $800-1000 a month. I shared a two bedroom apartment crashpad with 6 other FA's. I learned a lot on the job and grew more mature as a person but I'm glad I got out of it. I would say the job is ok if your young in your early 20's, no kids, still living with parents, and do not have a lot or any financial debt, other then that I would not suggest it.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanboy View Post
I was a Flight Attendant from 2006-2011. The first two years on the job was financially rough. After taxes I took home $800-1000 a month. I shared a two bedroom apartment crashpad with 6 other FA's. I learned a lot on the job and grew more mature as a person but I'm glad I got out of it. I would say the job is ok if your young in your early 20's, no kids, still living with parents, and do not have a lot or any financial debt, other then that I would not suggest it.

Totally agree, that's the harsh reality of flight crews you're not paid much, and even less if you consider how much time you're "At work" (i.e. gone on overnights, stuck in the airport with broken airplanes, delays, etc). You essentially LIVE the lifestyle that the rest of the country dreads...there's a reason people really hate air travel, and working on a flight crew gives you the opportunity to experience their dislikes on a daily basis.

Job has some perks, like cheap travel (when not at work) and some decent time off (4 day weekends, etc). Those days off though will likely not be on weekends, and depending on how good you are at "negotiating/bidding" your schedule, you may or may not get decent blocks off. I knew guys who could always manage a 10-15 day break at the beginning/end of every other month...add with that a weeks worth of vacation, and they were doing just fine!!! There's also the benefit of not taking your work home with you, you just leave your job on the airplane...

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Salary and facilities like annual leave, housing, medical insurance is much much better if you are working in Foreign Airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways. Those Airlines are growing.

Cabin Crew Jobs Emirates Airlines - Unravel Travel TV - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmfQXI0unE4

Last edited by munna21977; 06-27-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation