Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,151,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Were you really a real Red SOx fan though? I just could never fathom rooting for the Yankees. It's not like you switched to the Mets, you went to a rival and in one of the most fierce rivalries in all of sports.
Like Packers fan now rooting for Vikes or Bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You noticed that too? (My Mets used to have a rather casual outfielder by the name of Darryl Strawberry. That was his M.O., as well. The year he hit 37 home runs for the Amazin's, no fewer than 23 came in situations where they didn't affect the outcome of the game).

The correct way to deal with production like that is to let the bum go. In Strawberry's case, he started whining that the fans didn't appreciate him--which wasn't true; the fans didn't appreciate his lack of production, but never lost hope that he might live up to his potential--then insisting that the Mets were a racist organization. So they let him flee to L.A., where as every Met fan knew, he was incapable of performing in his hometown.

The Yankees, who also had some adventures with Mr. Strawberry, as I recall, should learn from history and treat Alex Rodriguez accordingly. They won't...but they should.
He puts up some great numbers but when we're down by one with men on first and second that's when he goes down swinging.I was never a big fan of his (even before all the scandals) but I hope he can become more of a clutch hitter like Jeter or Matsui.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,293,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Like Packers fan now rooting for Vikes or Bears!

Exactly I could never imagine rooting for the Vikings or Bears, I HATE them. It just blows my mind that a team you HATE you can some how turn around and root for?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Exactly I could never imagine rooting for the Vikings or Bears, I HATE them. It just blows my mind that a team you HATE you can some how turn around and root for?
I could never see myself doing this.The owners of the team would have to be killing babies or something that extreme for me to drop any of my teams and then to pick up the biggest rival.I think my odds are twice as good at winning the lottery first.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Default Enjoy Your New Yard

If nothing else, at least this club will have more storylines than anyone else in baseball this season. And not necessarily all positive, either.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,561,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If nothing else, at least this club will have more storylines than anyone else in baseball this season. And not necessarily all positive, either.

Given A-Roid's plight, you got the storyline bit nailed down, case.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,514 times
If the Yankees win the division it will be because of superior pitching and not because of A-Rod's June return. I've been a Yankee fan since 1961 and have seen many great ones come and go. And I would much rather have Paul O'Neill or Tino Martinez up in a clutch situation than A-Rod. I would also prefer John Blanchard, Reggie, or Bobby Murcer. And the list goes on and on.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If the Yankees win the division it will be because of superior pitching and not because of A-Rod's June return. I've been a Yankee fan since 1961 and have seen many great ones come and go. And I would much rather have Paul O'Neill or Tino Martinez up in a clutch situation than A-Rod. I would also prefer John Blanchard, Reggie, or Bobby Murcer. And the list goes on and on.
You're speaking to the right person.I like his end of the year stats but he's not a good clutch hitter and i'm not a fan.I love the working class players(Tino,O'neill,Mattingly)and loved when they added Tex(our next great 1st baseman following in others footsteps) and Swisher too. He's versatile and gives us great depth in the infield and OF!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're speaking to the right person.I like his end of the year stats but he's not a good clutch hitter and i'm not a fan.I love the working class players(Tino,O'neill,Mattingly)and loved when they added Tex(our next great 1st baseman following in others footsteps) and Swisher too. He's versatile and gives us great depth in the infield and OF!
I hope you're right about Tex. When Giambi arrived he was hitting around .320 lifetime and appeared to be headed for the Hall.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I hope you're right about Tex. When Giambi arrived he was hitting around .320 lifetime and appeared to be headed for the Hall.
Think about this.His HR's will probably be slightly more then Giambi's. His Rbi's should be higher and we know his average will be higher.He's much better defensively and can hit to right,center or left.When they make comparisons to us losing hr's because of giambi and abreu leaving and only tex coming in;it's not a fair comparison.The right comparison is Giambi and Abreu vs. Tex and Nady/Swisher.Nady played left when he came in last year when Abreu was in right. This year he'll be in right with Damon in left and Gardner/M.Cabrera in center.Tex will be the second coming of Tino and Donny baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball