Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times

Advertisements

Magic 100 @ Raptors 104

Didn't see much of the game as I'm on the road but the Raps were pushed in this one, having to overcome an 11-point 4th quarter deficit.

I'm looking forward to the Bulls game tomorrow too. Should be a good test for both squads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:59 PM

Default 7-2

Bulls 100 @ Raptors 93

For some reason, the Raptors decided to play the 3rd quarter in a coma - getting outscored by 21 points. A too-little, too-late rally late in the 4th made the score as close as it was.

Raps had no answer for Pau Gasol and Jimmy Butler rendered DeMar Derozan invisible.

Hopefully, the Raptors will ignore their press clippings and realize they're still very much a work in progress. They got schooled by a better, more experienced team.

Sure hope these two meet up in the playoffs this season, though. It would be a treat.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:24 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,992,755 times
It was a good game but they got beat by the better team. The Bulls played great in that 3rd quarter. They finally have some options on offense and that makes them dangerous with their defense being so good. Toronto, I thought rushed into bad shots in an effort to get back into the game and cost themselves a chance at a good comeback.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Bulls 100 @ Raptors 93

For some reason, the Raptors decided to play the 3rd quarter in a coma - getting outscored by 21 points. A too-little, too-late rally late in the 4th made the score as close as it was.

Raps had no answer for Pau Gasol and Jimmy Butler rendered DeMar Derozan invisible.

Hopefully, the Raptors will ignore their press clippings and realize they're still very much a work in progress. They got schooled by a better, more experienced team.

Sure hope these two meet up in the playoffs this season, though. It would be a treat.
Jimmy Butler is probably the best player no one knows much about but that will change. His vastly improved scoring is the new wrinkle in his game this year.

(If you don't know his backstory, look it up....he has overcome a lot in life and keeps doing so.)

Old 11-14-2014, 12:48 PM

I agree that Butler is a revelation to non-Bulls fans. But it's also true that DeRozan is a far better player than he showed last night. He wasn't tip-top against Orlando either. Wouldn't surprise me if he's under the weather.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:58 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree that Butler is a revelation to non-Bulls fans. But it's also true that DeRozan is a far better player than he showed last night. He wasn't tip-top against Orlando either. Wouldn't surprise me if he's under the weather.
Everyone has off nights so no biggie.

Butler was on the all-nba defensive 2nd team last year alongside guys like Lebron and Kawhi Leonard.

It's the addition of some pretty solid scoring, efficient scoring, that has my eyebrows wayyy up. We CANNOT lose that guy to free agency.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 PM

Default 8-2

Jazz 93 @ Raptors 111

Raps pulled away from a game, but tiring Jazz squad in the 4th. Jazz were on the 2nd of back-to-backs and their starting five kept them in it for 3 quarters but the Raptors bench and experience were the difference. Lou Williams made some clutch 4th quarter shots as did Patrick Patterson. Valanciunas, still finding his game, had a good one with 17 points and 14 boards. DeMar DeRozan looked himself again after a couple of shaky outings, potting 27.

There's lots to like with this Jazz team. Their starting five are all 24 or younger and there's talent at every position. They'll mess some teams up this year and be a force in a year or two.

Raps are 4-1 on their important 7-game homestand. Best make hay while they can. If I recall correctly, Toronto only has two home games in April.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Default 9-2

Grizzlies 92 @ Raptors 96

Hope none of the Raps pull a muscle patting themselves on the back for pulling out a 4th-quarter victory over an under-manned Grizzly squad. They were flat-out lucky to survive a schooling by Grizzly big men Randolph and Gasol who combined for 40 points and 30 boards.

Grizzlies were playing several men short because of flu-like symptoms yet still gave the Raps fits for most of the game. Only the Raps weird, but vaunted 4th quarter defense and sharpshooting from PG Kyle Lowry and SF Terence Ross pulled this one out. They have GOT to stop spotting good teams leads and then think they can always pull it out in the 4th.

As an interesting sidelight, the Raptors showed a Vince Carter tribute video during a stoppage that brought both the crowd to its forgiving feet and a tear to Half-Man, Half-Amazing's eye. It was a nice moment. Pretty sure Vince can look forward to a return to the ACC in a few years for the retiring of his sweater - the 1st in Raptor history.

I look forward to further games between these two. I think they'll provide each other a fine measuring stick and may well smack heads in the playoffs.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:28 PM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
Cavs, Suns & Mavs before we go out West. Bucks have been playing well too, beat the Nets in triple overtime last night in Kidd's return to Brooklyn. I hate his guts, but Kidd has that Bucks team competing night in and night out, so can't take them lightly Friday night either.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Cavs, Suns & Mavs before we go out West. Bucks have been playing well too, beat the Nets in triple overtime last night in Kidd's return to Brooklyn. I hate his guts, but Kidd has that Bucks team competing night in and night out, so can't take them lightly Friday night either.
Raps can't take anybody lightly. They're still a work in progress themselves.

But last year, and so far this one, they're fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball