Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times

Advertisements

I'm relatively new to the game so don't be looking here for much in the way of in-depth analysis - unless someone else chimes in with it. I'll basically do with I did with the Blue Jays thread and just briefly re-cap games and occasionally toss in some whining or crowing, as the case may be.

Last night, the Raps improved to a season-starting best 5-1 by bruising the Wizards 103-84. For the first time this year they stormed out of the gate and played focused ball throughout. The Wizards seemed caught off guard, stumbling to only 35 points in the first half and they never managed to mount a charge.

Raps, wearing nifty throwback purple unis, were lead by PG Kyle Lowry's triple double. DeMar DeRozan chipped in with 25 points and everybody played solid D. Only Kris Humphries for the Wizards stood out in limited minutes.

On the downside, Raptors big man Amir Johnson had to leave the game, having re-injured his wonky ankle.

This was the first in a huge, 7-game home stand, the longest in Toronto's history I believe. They need to win a bunch of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 03:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,374,090 times
I'd love to see Toronto do well, just as long as they don't beat the Bulls. One of the many failings of the David Stern era was lack of support for friends in the north country. I would like to see a team back in Victoria BC too.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:40 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
First off, great job starting the thread.

Raptors, with the demise of Indy could very well wind up being one of the teams with a legit shot at making the ECF and certainly the 2nd round.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
I have a lot of respect for the Raptors. I was honestly not surprised with the results last night. It is only a matter of time before people start to realize how good the Raptors actually are. They have a lot of talent. Derozan's game has truly grown over the years. I think he is going to take another step as a superstar this year.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I have a lot of respect for the Raptors. I was honestly not surprised with the results last night. It is only a matter of time before people start to realize how good the Raptors actually are. They have a lot of talent. Derozan's game has truly grown over the years. I think he is going to take another step as a superstar this year.
They're going to fly under the radar until they upset somebody in the playoffs or finish the season as a top 2 seed. It's not "fair" it's just how the media works.

It also doesn't help that Washington got the 3rd spotlight for the media puffed up "upset" of the Bulls but I can't blame them from turning an injury depleted yawner into some sort of "story".

Old 11-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Glad to see there's others interested in the team.

I think Coach Casey deserves a lot of credit for their development. Everybody knows Demar and Lowry now but keep your eye on big man Jonas Valanciunas. He's only 22 and getting better by the game. In a year or two, he's gonna be a force.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I think Coach Casey deserves a lot of credit for their development. Everybody knows Demar and Lowry now but keep your eye on big man Jonas Valanciunas. He's only 22 and getting better by the game. In a year or two, he's gonna be a force.
Toronto is 25th in the league in opponents fg % and were 19ish last year give or take.

2014-15 Regular Season NBA Team Stats and League Leaders - Defense Per Game - National Basketball Association - ESPN

THey need to improve their defense to make the next level.

Miami finished 16th last year and was the only decent team anywhere near that low....but the pretty much got a complete free-pass to the finals due to injuries and whatnot in the east.

San Antonio was 8th but low enough to be essentially 3rd or 4th considering how close they were and the games off they gave key guys.

Gotta have some defense.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Default 6-1

76ers 88 @ Raptors 120

About what was expected. Philly fans are in for a long year. I can sympathize.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,374,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I met Duane Casey through my job, and got to know him a little when he was here as an asst for the Seattle Sonics. I couldn't say enough good things about him. He is one sterling and stellar individual. Toronto is lucky to have that guy.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:19 AM

I want to see Toronto play Cleveland and the Bulls over the course of the year so I can gauge where the teams stand. Granted with both Clevland and the Bulls going through gelling periods it won't be 100% apples to apples but at least it will be more interesting than watching those teams beat up on Boston, 76ers, Indy and sundry other bad teams most nights.

Toronto has only had two interesting games so far this season. Washington and Miami. The others are just meaningless whether Toronto crushes them like most nights or has the occasional rare upset. Ditto for the Bulls.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because there have been so few good match-ups to start the season, with some of that due to the Thunders injuries.

The only good game on the next 2 nights is Bulls @ Raptors. The rest are garbage.

Last edited by Mathguy; 11-12-2014 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball