Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I thought he came from a middle class background. Two parent family. These could just be his friends growing up. Now that he has all this money he takes care of all of them.
I was born in the town in South Carolina Ja comes from due to my parents military service. While Sumter is not a Baltimore or South Central LA, it is a place where criminal elements are present if you come across them. You can say that for most military towns.

SAAN had my view on the situation perfectly. While Ja didn’t break a law, a bad look on the NBA and especially with all the mass shootings now. I think Silver is going to make a point this time and 25-40 games of suspension is the most likely scenario to happen. Ja is hustling backwards at this point and absent someone getting through to him, he is going to be like a Len Bias with unfulfilled potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 07:04 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I was born in the town in South Carolina Ja comes from due to my parents military service. While Sumter is not a Baltimore or South Central LA, it is a place where criminal elements are present if you come across them. You can say that for most military towns.
That still does not explain what side of the tracks he came from. From what I have read he had a 2 parent family both who played basketball at least to the high school level. His dad was high school teammates with Ray Allen. They paint a picture like he grew up like Tiger Woods where the father was essentially his trainer from 3 years old on. Does not seem like he would have time to run around and get into trouble.

Quote:
SAAN had my view on the situation perfectly. While Ja didn’t break a law, a bad look on the NBA and especially with all the mass shootings now. I think Silver is going to make a point this time and 25-40 games of suspension is the most likely scenario to happen. Ja is hustling backwards at this point and absent someone getting through to him, he is going to be like a Len Bias with unfulfilled potential.
I have heard half year suspension brought up quite a bit on different sports shows. It is amazing that Draymond Green punches a teammate in the face (which is a crime) and gets a slap on the wrist yet flashing a gun is much worse for the NBA. But Ja is making the NBA look bad by going easy on him the first time.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:55 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
That still does not explain what side of the tracks he came from. From what I have read he had a 2 parent family both who played basketball at least to the high school level. His dad was high school teammates with Ray Allen. They paint a picture like he grew up like Tiger Woods where the father was essentially his trainer from 3 years old on. Does not seem like he would have time to run around and get into trouble.

I have heard half year suspension brought up quite a bit on different sports shows. It is amazing that Draymond Green punches a teammate in the face (which is a crime) and gets a slap on the wrist yet flashing a gun is much worse for the NBA. But Ja is making the NBA look bad by going easy on him the first time.
Even with a two parent home, there is still 7 or 8 hours of a day where the kid is out of the sight of a parent in school. It does not take much time at all for an impressionable teen to be negatively influenced. Literally I think back to my own senior year in HS. I literally rode a bus home across town in a decent Virginia suburb of DC with a classmate who was dealing drugs on the bus and robbing people. He talked to me often enough that if I didn’t have other more positive male figures around me at the time, I could have gotten in with him on his “adventures.” FWIW, that guy died a couple of years ago still within his life of crime. The point is all it takes is one open ear to be drawn down a bad path.

Old 05-18-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Even with a two parent home, there is still 7 or 8 hours of a day where the kid is out of the sight of a parent in school. It does not take much time at all for an impressionable teen to be negatively influenced. Literally I think back to my own senior year in HS. I literally rode a bus home across town in a decent Virginia suburb of DC with a classmate who was dealing drugs on the bus and robbing people. He talked to me often enough that if I didn’t have other more positive male figures around me at the time, I could have gotten in with him on his “adventures.” FWIW, that guy died a couple of years ago still within his life of crime. The point is all it takes is one open ear to be drawn down a bad path.
I get that. However I find it hard to believe that he could down that bad path and at the same time put in the effort and dedication necessary to end up being one of the best basketball players in the world. I know several like like the person you mentioned. None of them became good at anything.

It could be these friends of his are not all that bad like in the sense of being in a gang or selling drugs. Just friends he grew up with. Might have been on the high school team but not good enough to go past that. He has enough money to take care of all of them and they like to hang out together and have fun and go to strip clubs.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:32 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
I grew up in one of the most affluent SF Bay Area suburbs. In my final elementary school yearbook, there's a picture of the stepdaughter of one of the wealthiest men in the Bay Area at the time throwing a football. In the background (the final person re the yearbook didn't realize what was going down), two guys were completing a pot deal. The two guys were both sons of doctors.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:59 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Steven A. thinks he'll get a double digit game suspension (coming from the league) to start next season.

And that it might put a potential 5yr $230m contract, his Powerade deal, and other deals in jeopardy.

Not smart.
The headline beginning of next season: NBA has suspended Morant for 12 games. The game suspension begins with summer league and preseason.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:25 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The headline beginning of next season: NBA has suspended Morant for 12 games. The game suspension begins with summer league and preseason.
That's it?!! Well, he didn't commit a crime but I thought Silver would give him 30 games or something like that. Carry on with your strip club activities. Just keep the cameras off next time. Bad Ja! Bad!

Old 05-22-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
That's it?!! Well, he didn't commit a crime but I thought Silver would give him 30 games or something like that. Carry on with your strip club activities. Just keep the cameras off next time. Bad Ja! Bad!
The suspension has not been handed out yet as far as I can tell.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:36 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
The suspension has not been handed out yet as far as I can tell.
Okay, still waiting on his fate. It should be coming soon. Anyway, He's getting the cold shoulder from Nike.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...588dae54&ei=50

Nike has removed Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant's signature sneakers from its website after he was once again shown holding a firearm in a social media video for the second time in less than two months.

The Ja 1 shoes, which were released on April 19, were no linger listed on Nike.com as of Thursday (May 18) morning, though some Morant-related t-shirts and jerseys still appeared, according to TMZ Sports reports. The company does, however, still have the mismatched 'Hunger' colorway sneakers, which are scheduled to be released on May 25, listed as "upcoming" on the Nike SNKRS app.

Morant's signature shoes are still listed on several other retailers, including DICK's Sporting Goods, and secondary resellers such as StockX and Flight Club.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:58 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Hopefully he learns from this.

The NBA doesn't mess around with it's image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball