Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 01:21 PM

30,309 posts, read 11,948,392 times

Advertisements

Happens tonight just before the Lakers / Nuggets game. 7 of the last 8 years one of the teams with the best odds won the lottery. So that is Houston, SA and Detroit. Where is the best fit for him? Any scenerio where he does not go #1?

Draft Lottery day arrives, with the NBA about to learn where Wembanyama is going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Happens tonight just before the Lakers / Nuggets game. 7 of the last 8 years one of the teams with the best odds won the lottery. So that is Houston, SA and Detroit. Where is the best fit for him? Any scenerio where he does not go #1?

Draft Lottery day arrives, with the NBA about to learn where Wembanyama is going

I will go first. Assuming its one of the teams with the best odds. I think Houston with Udoka. Young coach that turned the Celtics around. Pop is old and there are rumors that Doc might get hired by Detroit. Orlando would be interesting. They already have a future star with Banchero. Him and Wemba would be quite a duo.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:37 PM

1,143 posts, read 475,826 times
I would want houston to win if i was victor. Detroit is cold. Whoever gets him better trade their whole future for good players to surround victor, or else they risk losing him in free agency.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
I would want houston to win if i was victor. Detroit is cold. Whoever gets him better trade their whole future for good players to surround victor, or else they risk losing him in free agency.
SA would be a good spot also warm. It depends how long Pop will be coaching.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:48 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,474,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
SA would be a good spot also warm. It depends how long Pop will be coaching.
Why does weather matter to a basketball player? it's not like they play out doors like football players do. Also he's coming from Paris which gets snow and cold as well so it's not something he's never seen before. That being said, I like Houston for him since he would get a good coach which is vital for a young player. Although to be honest, the team I would have liked best for him would be OKC. There he would be with a bunch of talented players and not be burdened with being the franchise. Yet they are all super young so they would all grow together. I would trade Chet immediately. But that probably wont happen. So Houston it is.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Why does weather matter to a basketball player? it's not like they play out doors like football players do. Also he's coming from Paris which gets snow and cold as well so it's not something he's never seen before. That being said, I like Houston for him since he would get a good coach which is vital for a young player. Although to be honest, the team I would have liked best for him would be OKC. There he would be with a bunch of talented players and not be burdened with being the franchise. Yet they are all super young so they would all grow together. I would trade Chet immediately. But that probably wont happen. So Houston it is.
If your making millions, do you want your family and yourself to spend your 15 year career at a place where you have to shovel snow, cant enjoy your yard in winter, deal with road closures and accidents on the road? Not seeing the sun and getting (SAD) is real.

Also Detroit is dangerous. Houston is a bigger city than san Antonio so that plays a role also.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:57 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,474,557 times
Quote:
If your making millions, do you want your family and yourself to spend your 15 year career at a place where you have to shovel snow, cant enjoy your yard in winter, deal with road closures and accidents on the road? Not seeing the sun and getting (SAD) is real.

Also Detroit is dangerous. Houston is a bigger city than san Antonio so that plays a role also.
When you're making millions, you can afford to have a place and hire people to take care of pretty much all of that for you. AND you can afford to buy a summer home in a nicer weather location as well. Half the NBA is located in cold weather cities so clearly the players figure it out.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
When you're making millions, you can afford to have a place and hire people to take care of pretty much all of that for you. AND you can afford to buy a summer home in a nicer weather location as well. Half the NBA is located in cold weather cities so clearly the players figure it out.
Your wife, parents, kids are based where you play. So if its a cold, dangerous city, they have to deal with the cold, and they cant enjoy your yard if its 25 degrees outside. In home games you go home and live with family, and drive to the practice facility every day, in cold weather. You can have a house in a warmer place and have your family live there for your 15 year career and talk to them on skype every day.

Nba season is from October to april, so it goes through winter. I definitely sit at my porch or go outside much more when the weather is sunny and over 50 degrees.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I guess weather does not really matter. Its not like he is going to be waiting for the bus. The ultimate twin towers would be Chet and Wemba. No one is making a layup.

Old 05-16-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Your wife, parents, kids are based where you play. So if its a cold, dangerous city, they have to deal with the cold, and they cant enjoy your yard if its 25 degrees outside. In home games you go home and live with family, and drive to the practice facility every day, in cold weather. You can have a house in a warmer place and have your family live there for your 15 year career and talk to them on skype every day.

Nba season is from October to april, so it goes through winter. I definitely sit at my porch or go outside much more when the weather is sunny and over 50 degrees.
I get what you are saying. I would never want to play where its cold and when its cold. Look Rogers stayed in Green Bay forever. He was born in California and went to college at UC Berkeley. Brady played in Boston for what 20 years? He is also from N. California. And these guys played outdoors.

These are people living in 10,000 sf mansions. They have indoor Olympic pools. They are not sitting on the front porch. Their house is almost like its own ecosystem. When you have the money to buy anything you want I guess living in a cold city is not as bad as for the average fan.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-16-2023 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball