Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 06:09 AM

78,476 posts, read 60,666,856 times

Advertisements

When it comes down to the top players of all time it becomes nearly impossible to rank them because there is no definition of the criteria and the game crosses eras of rules and so forth.

That said.

1) If you have to try to tear down entire eras to try to build your guy up, I don't think that's arguing from strength.

2) The reason Jordan had all of the adulation is that he had a great public persona (even if privately he's a bit of a jerk). He, like Bird&Magic did, took the league to new levels and clearly could move merchandise for the biggest companies in the US. While this is an off-court ability, the OP brings up the issue and on that topic it's not debatable that Lebron didn't have that to Jordan's extent. (but in fairness pretty much nobody did)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 07:24 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
More bad luck last night. The Lakers' bench didn't show up for Lebron the way they needed to. Jordan had guys like Paxson and Kerr who could hit big shots in pressure moments. It makes you wonder how Lebron's career would have panned out with a Paxson or Kerr to rely on.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:25 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
Cry me a river. You can say that about any "modern day" superstar. Modern day medicine has helped him recover and play more and longer.

The Bulls sucked back in the 80's. Took them 7 years to finally get the pieces together to get the first title.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:27 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Jordan makes this pass, he's an unselfish, omniscient basketball genius. Lebron makes this pass, he's a coward that doesn't want to take blame. But Lebron never had a teammate like this. THAT is the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12VMuqXVGRw

Old 04-23-2024, 08:30 AM

7,031 posts, read 11,326,122 times
How many 3s did D'Lo hit last night? Davis was 14-18 from the floor? I think the King got plenty of help. He was reduced to complaining about an overturned foul at the end of the THIRD quarter because his team got gassed at the end of the game again and couldn't make a stop.

Imagine if the Lakers had played defense on that last play? Go watch it again, D'Lo sorta shows like he is blitzing Murray before fading back with MPJ which puts LeBron on Murray, who allows him to go to his right with zero interference after Jokic comes up and acts like he is going to screen, but doesn't, and then rolls, which leaves AD iso-ed against Murray with the right side of the court completely cleared out. AD does his best, but it's get to your spot and then a clean look for Murray.

As for shooting help over his career, I'll take Ray Allen over Paxton or Kerr.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:35 AM

3,997 posts, read 2,365,120 times
Wow! Incredible shot by Murray over AD. Lakers will regroup at home.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:59 AM

78,476 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jordan makes this pass, he's an unselfish, omniscient basketball genius. Lebron makes this pass, he's a coward that doesn't want to take blame. But Lebron never had a teammate like this. THAT is the difference.
Lebron has had a wide range of very good teamates.

I would probably abandon this line of argument because one of the things credited to Jordan's intensity and pathological hatred of losing is that their practices were harder than games. Everyone from Kerr to Rodman has stated that.

As such you can make a case that Jordan made people around him better and I would 100% say that is true about Pippen at a minimum if you know any backstory there.

I'm not even arguing whom is better, for a career? for a peak point? peak season? Impact on the sport?

Heck, I've made the case that at peak performance Olajuwon belongs in any conversation but not for career.

P.S. I was living in Chicago when (avid read of Lacy Banks excellent reporting) I first heard about this highschool kid named Lebron giving the pro's a tough time at Hoops Gym on the west side. He reached for the stars and got there, I don't feel a need to quibble about whose star is a little brighter.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:21 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,352 times
Bring those warriors to the 90s Bulls team with the 90s defense, not the 2015 defense rules.

A big reason Warriors were successful was:
1. lite girly touch fouls get you to the FT line
2. everyone practices 3-pt shots;
3. They always had a difference maker other guy who made an impact; Iguodala or Wiggins. They have nobody now plus Steph & Klay have declined.
People give Draymond too much credit. He would be nullified to a nobody if he played in the 90s. Rodman, Pippen and Jordan would still be great and elite defenders.

LeBron is not unlucky. He had his dream team in Miami and left. If he didn't leave yet another team and Miami played the Warriors after SA beat them, you still think Wade, Bosh and another role players have no chance?

Old 04-23-2024, 04:31 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,352 times
Quote:
Wait a minute. LeBron had Ray Allen, Kyrie, and Battier. They were all pretty clutch.

LeBron after last nite's game will be memed for life.

Why is that?
- James shakes KCP to the floor, take last minute shot wide open, and misses.
- Jordan shakes Byron Russell to the floor, takes last minute shot and nothing but net. ( No game 7s in championship rounds against great teams.)

Lebron is still a phenomenally great, great player but just comes up short more than he wins the big one.
Him scoring the most NBA points based on longevity is a whatever stat. I didn't care Kareem had it that long.
MJ MVPs in reg season and NBA championships, all defense teams, steals, and clutch performance when needed speaks volumes more than reg. season points or assists.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,665,407 times
Quote:
More bad luck last night. The Lakers' bench didn't show up for Lebron the way they needed to. Jordan had guys like Paxson and Kerr who could hit big shots in pressure moments. It makes you wonder how Lebron's career would have panned out with a Paxson or Kerr to rely on.
You got me. From the first time I read this thread I didn’t realize you were trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball