Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 08:17 PM

189 posts, read 189,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Speaking of streaming - if you do have Spectrum and a 4K HDR TV - better to stream Spectrum with Apple TV+ as it upscales to HDR and provides a better picture than the cable box.
I do have an Apple TV. I’ll probably get another one. At this time, Spectrum doesn’t even have Ola Hou Estates in their records. They said that they would have to send someone out to see if we’re within their area, despite my telling them we’re across from Kea’au High School and a mile from downtown Kea’au. Hawaiian Telcom talks in circles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 11:23 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
I do have an Apple TV. I’ll probably get another one. At this time, Spectrum doesn’t even have Ola Hou Estates in their records. They said that they would have to send someone out to see if we’re within their area, despite my telling them we’re across from Kea’au High School and a mile from downtown Kea’au. Hawaiian Telcom talks in circles
Didn't you say this is a new subdivision? Do you know for sure if the developer put in cable along with the other utilities?

I live in a subdivision that was built in the 1970s, and the cable lines do not cover the whole subdivision. Weird!

Old 09-27-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Didn't you say this is a new subdivision? Do you know for sure if the developer put in cable along with the other utilities?

I live in a subdivision that was built in the 1970s, and the cable lines do not cover the whole subdivision. Weird!
Yes. Hawaiian Telcom installed high fiber-optic cable.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 30,045 times
To this:

Quote:
Now is the time to wire the house for any tech you may want in the future, although that seems to change fairly frequently so I'm not sure what wiring you'd want to install now to be used later.
I'd also add: if you care about great connectivity (wifi/ethernet) throughout the house and possibly outside, throw a cat5e cable or better there to support 1Gbit ethernet in case you need it later (to connect access points, or direct plug). Doing it later is by far not as convenient, but this will guarantee that you won't have bad spots for connectivity.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7bi View Post
To this:

I'd also add: if you care about great connectivity (wifi/ethernet) throughout the house and possibly outside, throw a cat5e cable or better there to support 1Gbit ethernet in case you need it later (to connect access points, or direct plug). Doing it later is by far not as convenient, but this will guarantee that you won't have bad spots for connectivity.
Thanks. I’ll pass the info on to my hubby and contractor.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 PM

29 posts, read 30,045 times
FYI, even after the house walls are closed, you could go around it, albeit not as conveniently. Powerline adapters (like TPlink AV500, AV1000 or AV2000, etc.) are pretty good, I've been using them for years! You could effectively wire your house with ethernet just using your own electric wires and power outlets! This of course often doesn't work with power strips, since they often filter the electric current, so that modulated signal from powerline adapters doesn't pass through it. It has to be the same electric circuit and direct plug to the wall power outlet.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
You can get about 15 free over the air HD TV channels with a decent outdoor antenna, it includes all the local channels. A lot of the local news channels are free on a Roku too. Pluto is free (Roku, Fire stick) and has as many channels as cable.

Here's a list of the free TV channels I posted a few years ago. At least 3 channels have been added since I posted it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...available.html

4.1 ABC major network
4.2 MeTV classic television programming (Brady Bunch, Gunsmoke, MASH etc), MeTV Network | Memorable Entertainment Television
4.3 Mix of older TV dramas
4.4 H&I Heroes and Icons (Star Trek, House, Monk, Westerns, etc)
4.5 Caribbean Channel (not sure of the relevance, maybe because we're all islands?)
9.1 KFVE local, KFVE The Home Team - KFVE, K5-Hawaii News, Weather and Sports
10.1 PBS major network
10.1 PBS transmitter 2, same programming as above
10.2 PBS different programming than 10.1
10.2 PBS transmitter 2, same programming as above
10.3 PBS Sometimes different programming than 10.1 or 10.2
10.3 PBS transmitter 2, same programming as above
11.1 FOX major network
11.2 CCW major network
13.1 NBC major network
13.2 CBS major network
14.1 KWHE religious programming and old TV shows/movies Welcome to KWHE
45.1 CBS (same programming as 13.2)
45.2 THIS TV movies and drama, This TV Home - Honolulu
45.3 ESCAPE TV basically a movie channel with movies from 80's-2000, Escape - slip away.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the current lineup in the above 'update'.

Here's the antenna we use to get the channels. It may not be the best model for your location:

https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-I...language=en_US

Old 10-04-2020, 05:04 PM

52 posts, read 36,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupule View Post
YouTubeTV has local channels for $65/month.
There wasn't cable in my temporary rental, so I got a Fire TV, which has many free apps, and signed up for YouTube TV, which has local stations. I'm going to stick with it in the new home. Sounds like there may be slightly cheaper options, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the updated info!

Old 10-13-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Speaking of streaming - if you do have Spectrum and a 4K HDR TV - better to stream Spectrum with Apple TV+ as it upscales to HDR and provides a better picture than the cable box.
Hawaiian Telcom will be providing our internet service and landline.

I read an article in the PC magazine that Apple TV is going by the wayside. Considering that Apple TV is quite expensive in comparison to other streaming devices, do any of you have any suggestions/recommendations as to which device I should buy? However, I’m not a techie, so please use laymen terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island