Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 05:30 PM

189 posts, read 189,627 times

Advertisements

Well, next week the drywall will be be started on our home. When the time comes, I’m thinking of just live-streaming rather than having cable. I currently have Netflix and Amazon Prime which I watch on my iPad. When we move into our home, I’ll also be subscribing to Hulu. However, if I want to watch local TV stations, is there a way I could do this? Our home is being built in Kea’au (Ola Hou Estates).

Mahalo.

Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 07:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Hulu + Live TV, $55/month - will give you local channels via streaming

Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM

24 posts, read 26,486 times
YouTubeTV has local channels for $65/month.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:00 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Now is the time to wire the house for any tech you may want in the future, although that seems to change fairly frequently so I'm not sure what wiring you'd want to install now to be used later. USB ports in areas where you'd use devices may be a thought. Although, there's now electrical outlets which have USB ports built into them.

Good time to install central vacuum, too.

If you think you'll need additional electrical outlets in any particular areas, such as behind where ever the monster TV will be placed, now is also the time to get them in there as well. Once the walls are closed in, then it's more expensive to have those sorts of things done.

Last double wall house I built had boric acid crystals sprinkled in the walls. That's the active ingredient in many cockroach and termite baits. It's not expensive and would hopefully kill bugs if they got in the walls. An alternate would be DE (diatomaceous earth). Once the walls are covered in drywall, the boric acid and/or DE would be covered over but bugs still manage to get in there somehow.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hulu + Live TV, $55/month - will give you local channels via streaming
Perfect!

Mahalo.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:02 PM

[quote=hotzcatz;59248800]Now is the time to wire the house for any tech you may want in the future, although that seems to change fairly frequently so I'm not sure what wiring you'd want to install now to be used later. USB ports in areas where you'd use devices may be a thought. Although, there's now electrical outlets which have USB ports built into them....

Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful info. This is the very reason I was asking about live-streaming and local channels - to do any wiring before closing up. We’ve put in the wiring for future use in case live-streaming doesn’t work out for us.

Mahalo.

Judy

Old 09-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Pupule - Thanks for responding. Appears Hulu would be cheaper. But thanks anyway.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:24 PM

344 posts, read 251,223 times
[quote=Luau Time;59249353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Now is the time to wire the house for any tech you may want in the future, although that seems to change fairly frequently so I'm not sure what wiring you'd want to install now to be used later. USB ports in areas where you'd use devices may be a thought. Although, there's now electrical outlets which have USB ports built into them....

Thanks for all the tips. Very helpful info. This is the very reason I was asking about live-streaming and local channels - to do any wiring before closing up. We’ve put in the wiring for future use in case live-streaming doesn’t work out for us.

Mahalo.

Judy

When we had our house built last year we had conduit run all over the place where we thought we might need future wiring. Cheap to do now. That way as technology changes, the wires you run may become obsolete, it is easy to run newer style wiring in the conduit.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:45 PM

[quote=KohalaTransplant;59249997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post

When we had our house built last year we had conduit run all over the place where we thought we might need future wiring. Cheap to do now. That way as technology changes, the wires you run may become obsolete, it is easy to run newer style wiring in the conduit.
Thanks for the info. That’s what we’re doing.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Speaking of streaming - if you do have Spectrum and a 4K HDR TV - better to stream Spectrum with Apple TV+ as it upscales to HDR and provides a better picture than the cable box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island