Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,308,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvonG View Post
Hello,
I will be moving to Birmingham at the beginning of August to attend law school, and I have never been to the area so I would appreciate some insight. I have been reading about the city, but I believe nothing can replace the opinions of people that actually live there. Thank you for taking the time!

1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

I will be attending Samford University (Cumberland), and I would love to be walking distance to the school. I will not have a car for the first few months, so being within 20 minutes or so is very important.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?
Up to 900 a month.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?
No children, single female, just want to be in a safe area.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?
I love to socialize and to eat out, but assuming law school will not leave much time for that, this is not a priority for me. A grocery store nearby is important.

5) Do you have special medical needs? none

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?
I would love to be in a friendly neighborhood where I can meet locals and learn about the local customs, but again, I am sure my choices as to neighborhoods are limited since I need to be close to campus.
Sorry to be so late getting to this. There are lots of apartment living options within a mile of the Samford/Cumberland campus. You should be really safe. To me the challenge will be the price. I'm not sure what apartments cost in that area.

Homewood is really safe. That being said, I'd avoid living on Valley Avenue, which is pretty much a rabbit warren at this point and kind of sketchy in places. The closer you get to Cumberland, the better you are. There is a nice mall within a half-mile of campus (Brookwood) with lots of restaurants, etc. Homewood is pretty cool with a nice pedestrian friendly shopping area, and lots of homes are older and graceful ones dating from the 1910s and 1920s. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,649 times
Thank you so much exactly what I needed to know and couldn't find anywhere else.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 8,480 times
Hey y'all,
After living in the DC area for 16 years, I am looking get back home where I belong, or as close as possible. (I am originally from Mobile)

I will be working at the airport and don't want to commute more than 30 minutes with traffic

I have a 13 year old son who is in special education so looking for the best schools.

I am looking to stay under $1000.00 for at least 2 prefer 3 bedroom house or apartment.

In our free time we love to go hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, camping.

The type of neighborhood doesn't really matter as long as it is safe.

Thank you

Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcofield1 View Post
Hey y'all,
After living in the DC area for 16 years, I am looking get back home where I belong, or as close as possible. (I am originally from Mobile)

I will be working at the airport and don't want to commute more than 30 minutes with traffic

I have a 13 year old son who is in special education so looking for the best schools.

I am looking to stay under $1000.00 for at least 2 prefer 3 bedroom house or apartment.

In our free time we love to go hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, camping.

The type of neighborhood doesn't really matter as long as it is safe.

Thank you
I'd give Trussville a look. Or maybe Moody.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 AM

11,982 posts, read 5,921,436 times
Hi all! My son was just hired at UPS in Birmingham and will be moving down there in a couple of weeks. He'll be in a supervisory position and will both the south and airport UPS distribution centers. He's looking at 1 and 2 bedroom Highgate Apts in Gardendale, but isn't sure what the good areas are.

I tried to steer him into a Homewood Suites for the first month until he gets the lay of the land and furniture as he only has a bedroom set, but he wants an apt right away so he can get furniture and get settled so he can concentrate on his job.

Any help will be appreciated!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Hi all! My son was just hired at UPS in Birmingham and will be moving down there in a couple of weeks. He'll be in a supervisory position and will both the south and airport UPS distribution centers. He's looking at 1 and 2 bedroom Highgate Apts in Gardendale, but isn't sure what the good areas are.

I tried to steer him into a Homewood Suites for the first month until he gets the lay of the land and furniture as he only has a bedroom set, but he wants an apt right away so he can get furniture and get settled so he can concentrate on his job.

Any help will be appreciated!
I think your suggestion is sound. If I had a family, Gardendale would be okay but if I were a single guy it wouldn't be my choice. There are some great parts of town where he would enjoy his off time. Gardendale, however, isn't one of them. For example, Southside is a much easier commute to the airport and Homewood and there's a lot more things to do in that part of town.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM

11,982 posts, read 5,921,436 times
Thanks so much for your help - when you say Southside do you mean Homewood and Vestevia? I just want to be sure he's in a decent area and is maybe equidistance from both facilities.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:12 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,619,431 times
Pretty much moth of the southern side of Birmingham, within the city limits, is safe. This includes Forest Park, Avondale, 5 points south, and Glen Iris.

Vestavia would definitely not be a convenient commuting residence. The southern surburban areas have the worst commute into the city, so I think Homewood is as far south as I would suggest. If a suburb is a must, then I agree that Gardendale would probably be better. But I agree with CPGs suggestions.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM

16 posts, read 45,149 times
It's pretty much official - we are moving to B'Ham by Labor Day!

(Just wanted to update - and thank you guys for your help, in the past and now too!)

Now we'll really need the help finding a decent place!

Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady_WPB View Post
It's pretty much official - we are moving to B'Ham by Labor Day!

(Just wanted to update - and thank you guys for your help, in the past and now too!)

Now we'll really need the help finding a decent place!
Very cool. Just go ahead and pick a team. Alabama or Auburn, otherwise known as the Forces of Evil or the Forces of Goodness and Light.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We'll help in any way we can. That's how we roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area