Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM

23 posts, read 59,656 times

Advertisements

Can anyone comment on the Crestwood, Avondale, Highlands areas? I've been directed there by some friends who live in Birmingham and know the area far better than me but I'm hearing mixed things about the safety in Crestwood too... Any more information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arshness View Post
Can anyone comment on the Crestwood, Avondale, Highlands areas? I've been directed there by some friends who live in Birmingham and know the area far better than me but I'm hearing mixed things about the safety in Crestwood too... Any more information is appreciated.
We lived in Avondale for 14 years and never had a thing happen to us.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM

23 posts, read 59,656 times
I know someone here suggested we check out highlands on this thread and I had a friend we got in touch with in Birmingham tell me that Crestwood is up and coming and renaissancing and that it would be a good place for us.

So we're going to go drive through those areas tomorrow and try to find anything for rent.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM

11 posts, read 19,397 times
1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

I will be working in downton, 6th Ave. S. I would like a commute under a 1/2 hour. Wife will be in school at UAB.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?

200k to 300K. Of course the lower the better.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?

Yes, he is 3 with no special needs. Whatever house we might buy must be zoned for a good elementary school. We have really been looking at Vestavia, Trussville, and the Edgewood/Shades Cahaba areas of Homewood. We would love Mt. Brook, but there is very little in our range.

Trussville seems to have the most for the money. There are lots of houses priced below the 2011 tax assessment value. The area also seems to have far more inventory for sale than the others. Is there a reason for this?

Vestavia would be more convenient and I think preferable, but it is much harder to find something we like in our price range.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

Free time? I like outdoors, watching sports (TV), and fishing. My free time revolves around my son and I'm sure will remain that way for a while.

5) Do you have special medical needs?

No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Knowing people is nice, but affordability, schools, yard, basement (Wife is terrified of weather), updated kitchen (don't have time to remodel), and commute are more important - basically in that order. We are both from the south, love it, and hope to never leave it again.

My wife is going back to school and we would likely be looking to re-sell in 4-5 years when she is done. We have considered renting, however, we hope to be in the Birmingham area for a while and we have spent the last 6 years bouncing around the country. As mentioned, it is also very hard to rent with a large dog.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bham2b View Post
1) In what area of town will you be working? Really important stuff, that. And what kind of commute time are you wanting?

I will be working in downton, 6th Ave. S. I would like a commute under a 1/2 hour. Wife will be in school at UAB.

2) Do you have a price range for your house or apartment?

200k to 300K. Of course the lower the better.

3) Do you have children? Do they have unique educational needs?

Yes, he is 3 with no special needs. Whatever house we might buy must be zoned for a good elementary school. We have really been looking at Vestavia, Trussville, and the Edgewood/Shades Cahaba areas of Homewood. We would love Mt. Brook, but there is very little in our range.

Trussville seems to have the most for the money. There are lots of houses priced below the 2011 tax assessment value. The area also seems to have far more inventory for sale than the others. Is there a reason for this?

Vestavia would be more convenient and I think preferable, but it is much harder to find something we like in our price range.

4) What do you enjoy the most during your free time? The arts? Fine dining? Sports? Hiking? Or just getting away from it all?

Free time? I like outdoors, watching sports (TV), and fishing. My free time revolves around my son and I'm sure will remain that way for a while.

5) Do you have special medical needs?

No.

6) Do you want to be in a neighborhood where everyone knows one another or do you simply don't care?

Knowing people is nice, but affordability, schools, yard, basement (Wife is terrified of weather), updated kitchen (don't have time to remodel), and commute are more important - basically in that order. We are both from the south, love it, and hope to never leave it again.

My wife is going back to school and we would likely be looking to re-sell in 4-5 years when she is done. We have considered renting, however, we hope to be in the Birmingham area for a while and we have spent the last 6 years bouncing around the country. As mentioned, it is also very hard to rent with a large dog.
I might suggest the Cahaba Heights section of Vestavia. It's inside 459, überconvenient, you get Vestavia schools and it's a relative bargain compared to the rest of Vestavia. Worth a look in my book.

Edgewood/Shades Cahaba part of Homewood is also really good, but more expensive. Trussville is nice, but kind of far out for an easy commute.

I did a quick search on realtysouth.com for Vestavia homes under 300K and found a bunch. Try this link:

http://realtysouth.com/PropertyResul...der=descending

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-30-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,309 times
Question Potential UAB student but need some more info about the city

Hi,
I'm a 21 year old girl and this is the first time I'll be moving to another city, I'm from North Alabama. I'm looking for an apartment that would be fairly affordable, no more than$500 a month and close to the downtown area. I've heard Birmingham is not the safest area so I'm a little worried about this. How safe is Birmingham for a female college student and how is the nightlife and what exactly does Birmingham have to offer for a college student? I know nothing about this place and would love the insight from someone who has actually lived here. Safety is the top priority for me, what areas should I be cautious of? And it seems like a fairly spread out city, is it hard to find your way around?
Any help and info would be amazing. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp1991 View Post
Hi,
I'm a 21 year old girl and this is the first time I'll be moving to another city, I'm from North Alabama. I'm looking for an apartment that would be fairly affordable, no more than$500 a month and close to the downtown area. I've heard Birmingham is not the safest area so I'm a little worried about this. How safe is Birmingham for a female college student and how is the nightlife and what exactly does Birmingham have to offer for a college student? I know nothing about this place and would love the insight from someone who has actually lived here. Safety is the top priority for me, what areas should I be cautious of? And it seems like a fairly spread out city, is it hard to find your way around?
Any help and info would be amazing. Thanks!
If I'm young and single, I would be on Southside. More precisely, the area that surrounds Highland Avenue. Plenty of apartments in that area (Although $500/month will be tough). The area is pretty safe with plenty of things to do in the immediate area. However, as with any larger city, you should always keep a good eye out.

In what part of town will you be working or attending school?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM

16 posts, read 45,184 times
Default Need suggestions for the B'Ham area...

Hope I'm posting in the right place...

My husband is up for a job transfer and his company listed Birmingham as one of the possible cities he could end up in. So, I'm now scouring the internet looking for places in the Birmingham area we could live.

We are late twenties, with 1 child, who will be starting Kindergarten this fall.

My parents and most of my siblings live in the Auburn, AL area - but my husband and I currently live in Florida.

We'd like to move to be closer to my family - though, a 2 hour drive down to Auburn really is not super close. Still better the the 9 hours it takes now, I guess.

Anyhow, we'd be looking for a single family home to rent comparable to what we are renting now which is a 2000sq ft mid-2000's home for 900$/month. Eventually planning to buy, and we would definitely want land, 5 or more acres. Must have an outstanding school district, one where parents are welcome to volunteer and be really involved in. I stay at home, and am tossing around the idea of going back to school when my son starts this fall to finish my degree, so somewhere near a community college or smaller state college even would be nice - but not a deal breaker. My husband currently commutes an hour to and from daily for work, and has for the last 6 years, so we'd prefer to be closer to his work - the problem being the he drives for his job, so - that's not super important either. Somewhere quiet, kind of country-ish, but not super far from good restaurants and shopping? We definitely DO NOT want any type of HOA community, or any place where you pay to be told what to do with your house (We lived in one of those places here and hated it!) and a place where friendly neighbors and a small town like atmosphere would probably suit us really well.

In our spare time we like to do stuff around our house - in particular, I do a lot of container gardening and my husband is a tinkerer. Our son is into riding his bike, t-ball, and hiking.

Thank you in advance for nay help you can provide

Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady_WPB View Post
Hope I'm posting in the right place...

My husband is up for a job transfer and his company listed Birmingham as one of the possible cities he could end up in. So, I'm now scouring the internet looking for places in the Birmingham area we could live.

We are late twenties, with 1 child, who will be starting Kindergarten this fall.

My parents and most of my siblings live in the Auburn, AL area - but my husband and I currently live in Florida.

We'd like to move to be closer to my family - though, a 2 hour drive down to Auburn really is not super close. Still better the the 9 hours it takes now, I guess.

Anyhow, we'd be looking for a single family home to rent comparable to what we are renting now which is a 2000sq ft mid-2000's home for 900$/month. Eventually planning to buy, and we would definitely want land, 5 or more acres. Must have an outstanding school district, one where parents are welcome to volunteer and be really involved in. I stay at home, and am tossing around the idea of going back to school when my son starts this fall to finish my degree, so somewhere near a community college or smaller state college even would be nice - but not a deal breaker. My husband currently commutes an hour to and from daily for work, and has for the last 6 years, so we'd prefer to be closer to his work - the problem being the he drives for his job, so - that's not super important either. Somewhere quiet, kind of country-ish, but not super far from good restaurants and shopping? We definitely DO NOT want any type of HOA community, or any place where you pay to be told what to do with your house (We lived in one of those places here and hated it!) and a place where friendly neighbors and a small town like atmosphere would probably suit us really well.

In our spare time we like to do stuff around our house - in particular, I do a lot of container gardening and my husband is a tinkerer. Our son is into riding his bike, t-ball, and hiking.

Thank you in advance for nay help you can provide
Where in the area will he work?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,309 times
I'll be attending UAB so the downtown area I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area