Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM

178 posts, read 334,534 times

Advertisements

cpg35223's right there a a number of choices but in that price range I'd say take a look at the Chesterfield Apartments and the those on Caldwell Ave (Both are managed by "Blue Canoe" realty I think) if you're looking for something with more modern styling. There are more historic units everywhere you look.

The web has some good tools (try the Zillow app if you've got a smartphone) and of course nothing beats a good walk around the area on a nice day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner339 View Post
cpg35223's right there a a number of choices but in that price range I'd say take a look at the Chesterfield Apartments and the those on Caldwell Ave (Both are managed by "Blue Canoe" realty I think) if you're looking for something with more modern styling. There are more historic units everywhere you look.

The web has some good tools (try the Zillow app if you've got a smartphone) and of course nothing beats a good walk around the area on a nice day
Good point. I didn't mean to mislead him. I didn't say he has to live on Highland Avenue, but in the neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 47,740 times
Thank you both for the recommendations. I am currently looking at apartments in the highland area as well as farther south such as Vestavia and Hoover. I have decided to go a weekend early so I can take a look at some apartments in person.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoster2 View Post
Thank you both for the recommendations. I am currently looking at apartments in the highland area as well as farther south such as Vestavia and Hoover. I have decided to go a weekend early so I can take a look at some apartments in person.
Well, if you want to have any kind of nightlife, I wouldn't live in Hoover or even down 280. Portions of Homewood might work (As long it's not one of the rabbit warrens otherwise known as Valley Avenue). If you're a really artsy kind of person, living downtown in the loft community might be an option, too. But those tend to be a little pricey and demand is really high.

Let's make it simple. What do you enjoying doing with your free time? What are your hobbies or interests?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 47,740 times
I mean my main hobbies involve sports for the most part. I like to watch as well as play sports like basketball, football, golf, etc. I like to go to the gym or just relax by the pool. I enjoy going out and having a few drinks every once in awhile but the nightlife isn't necessarily a big deal for me. Since I will be in the area for 8 months I feel like I need to experience Birmingham at least a little bit. My main concern out of all of this is safety since I am very unfamiliar with the area as a whole.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 14,491 times
Default Relocating to Birmingham area and need help

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are relocating for his job soon. He works for a large commercial roofing company that has a location in Birmingham and I will be looking for work at a Credit Union. We have 4 children...7,6,5, and 9 months old. School systems are extremely important to us and we would like to see them in a good school district. We like to stay active by going to parks, having the children participate in sports, swimming at the river/ beach (where we live now) and would like to have similar experiences. From the research I have done, birmingham is heavily populated with crime, murders, etc and I would like to stay away from this. Our preference is a mostly white area, nice shopping centers, and newer/affordable housing as we have already been preapproved to buy. I have looked into the areas of Springville, Hoover, Pelham, Moody. If anyone has suggestions or can point me in the right direction, your help will most certainly be appreciated!

The Ward Family

Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWard325 View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are relocating for his job soon. He works for a large commercial roofing company that has a location in Birmingham and I will be looking for work at a Credit Union. We have 4 children...7,6,5, and 9 months old. School systems are extremely important to us and we would like to see them in a good school district. We like to stay active by going to parks, having the children participate in sports, swimming at the river/ beach (where we live now) and would like to have similar experiences. From the research I have done, birmingham is heavily populated with crime, murders, etc and I would like to stay away from this. Our preference is a mostly white area, nice shopping centers, and newer/affordable housing as we have already been preapproved to buy. I have looked into the areas of Springville, Hoover, Pelham, Moody. If anyone has suggestions or can point me in the right direction, your help will most certainly be appreciated!

The Ward Family
Hi there. I suggest Hoover or Pelham.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM

178 posts, read 334,534 times
:Sigh:

What irks me most me about this issue I'm conspicuously not mentioning here is the sheerly gratuitous nature of its mention.

That is all.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Quote:

What irks me most me about this issue I'm conspicuously not mentioning here is the sheerly gratuitous nature of its mention.

That is all.
No kidding.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

That is all.
Oh. Sorry. I totally missed that part of the post. I kinda scanned it, reading schools, blah blah blah, sports. Mea culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area