Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellycat42 View Post
Okay, let me rephrase. I get that the pediatricians feel like they are doing what is best. And for some they probably are. A lot of it has to do with being able to get into the school system, due to the required vaccinations. But we don't know that we're even going the public/private school route, and don't want a bunch of vaccines that aren't necessary, or that have crazy chemicals or monkey cells or aborted fetus cells in them (and yes, they do). It just doesn't seem right. And a lot of the vaccines are for things that aren't even problematic, either ever or until certain ages (i.e. polio, which hasn't been around for years, or the flu, or hepatitis B, an STD vaccine for kids?) I get the whole prevention piece, too. And am all about it. I'm actually a healthcare professional myself. We just want a more natural way of doing things, and want to find a doctor that is okay treating our two baby girls in his/her office without any problem of us denying certain vaccines......

Any more thoughts?
Wow. You didn't even respond to the information about mercury being a thing of the past and then launch into some stuff about monkey cells etc?

People were trying to help clarify some obvious myths that you stated and you just blew them off. I mean, it doesn't bother you at all that you are making healthcare decisions for two little girls based on proven bad information and you just brushed it aside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM

22 posts, read 24,978 times
Quote:
Not sure about the troll comment. But to sabinerose, actually in see the population that grew up in the polio era. Folks that are 70-100 years old. On 10-20 different medications.. Sure polio is gone, and and I'm glad of it. But try asking these people who take a medication for restless legs, only to find it makes them fall and break their hip. Or an antidepressant that keeps them awake at night, hearing voices. Sure, the medication did its job, but what were the sequelae afterwards? This is not a blanket statement of all meds. I could easily argue most, though. And my argument about vaccines is not their effectiveness. Most are effective and seem of be improving. It's side effects, methods of production, and things that generally aren't natural (I.e formaldehyde and monkey cells) that just don't seem right being put in a human, much less a 4 month old child. I want the healthiest option possible.

The most "natural" solution is to no get the vaccines and hope your kids don't get tetanus or some other child hood disease. Heck, don't even take them to the doctor and let nature fix them.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

Any more thoughts?
Hi. Visitor from Colorado here. I saw this on the front page. OP, you asked for thoughts. I think most people have given you some good information. I won't repeat any of that.

In re: STD vaccine for kids, the minimum age to give that vaccine (HPV) is 9; it is usually started at age 11. There is good reason for giving it at that age. First, the immune response is better in younger kids. Secondly, the child is then protected when the time comes, and it will.

Re: the flu. You are correct, the flu virus mutates, usually annually. That's why the flu vaccine is only good for the given season, and has to be repeated every year.

The antibodies one gets from breastmilk are passive, like giving a person a gamma globulin shot. They disappear quickly. Active antibodies persist for many years, sometimes permanently.

As far as supplementing a baby who isn't gaining weight with formula, even doctors who are ardent supporters of breast feeding recommend doing so until the milk supply is well established. I remember one such doctor seeing a "fussy newborn" (parent's diagnosis). He (doc) gave the child a bottle and he (baby) scarfed it down. The doc said he would have drunk motor oil if it had been in the bottle. The child was hungry.

In 40+ years of nursing, mostly in maternal and child health, working in immunization programs, I have been present for the administration of literally tens of thousands of immunizations and have seen the following problems, all rarely: fever, of short duration; sore arm/leg, ditto; rash ~10 days following measles, mumps, rubella vaccine; one child (ONE) who started sneezing after a chickenpox thought-was thought to be an allergy to the vaccine, resolved with Benadryl; fainting in teens from practically every vaccine including those given to babies with no ill effect. The fainting has usually been b/c the teen hadn't eaten in hours, or was extremely anxious.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:40 PM

I don't want to pound on anyone's head, but I was checking my email and I found this:

Vaccine Information You Need from the Immunization Action Coalition

It is full of very good information.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 9,173 times
Also a point of education - I am assuming the 'std vaccination' you're referring to is the Gardasil vaccination against human papilloma virus. It is important to note that not only will this prevent contraction of various forms of the HPV STD, but more importantly, possible transformation to cervical cancer. That is the real sticking point of this vaccine, as a large majority of cervical cancers are the result infection by certain strains of HPV. And the above poster who explained its timing is correct - it is often given around age 11, so you have plenty of time to wait.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay47 View Post
Also a point of education - I am assuming the 'std vaccination' you're referring to is the Gardasil vaccination against human papilloma virus. It is important to note that not only will this prevent contraction of various forms of the HPV STD, but more importantly, possible transformation to cervical cancer. That is the real sticking point of this vaccine, as a large majority of cervical cancers are the result infection by certain strains of HPV. And the above poster who explained its timing is correct - it is often given around age 11, so you have plenty of time to wait.
It is not even recommended until age 9. Most doctors offer it at 11.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Not sure about the troll comment. But to sabinerose, actually in see the population that grew up in the polio era. Folks that are 70-100 years old. On 10-20 different medications.. Sure polio is gone, and and I'm glad of it. But try asking these people who take a medication for restless legs, only to find it makes them fall and break their hip. Or an antidepressant that keeps them awake at night, hearing voices. Sure, the medication did its job, but what were the sequelae afterwards? This is not a blanket statement of all meds. I could easily argue most, though. And my argument about vaccines is not their effectiveness. Most are effective and seem of be improving. It's side effects, methods of production, and things that generally aren't natural (I.e formaldehyde and monkey cells) that just don't seem right being put in a human, much less a 4 month old child. I want the healthiest option possible.
Just curious, why are you asking these questions on this forum if you knew what the responses would be? Why not look online for a forum that is in agreement with your position? I'm sure they have lists of physicians that would be willing to accommodate your requests.
Try this: NEW List of Vaccine Friendly Doctors State By State - Support/Info for Non-vaccinating Parents - BabyCenter

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't want to pound on anyone's head, but I was checking my email and I found this:

Vaccine Information You Need from the Immunization Action Coalition

It is full of very good information.
I've subscribed to that for years also. I agree, good info (I was very involved in the California vaccine scene for many years). But most parents who are concerned about vaccines are not going to be interested in reading it.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

57 posts, read 122,673 times
Actually, I never asked for any of these opinions. I honestly don't care about them. You're right, I knew what they would be. All I wanted was a name of a doc or two that were vaccine friendly. Not everyone's opinions. But apparently its made for good fodder on this board, so I hope everyone has enjoyed it!

Criticize, frown, question all you want. I'm just as entitled to my beliefs as others. And for every posting or argument you post that was published, I could give you another that was published that had an opposite opinion. I could also give you stories from other nurses and health professionals that share the same beliefs as my wife and I have. (And yes, we've talked to them about options, but I just came here hoping for others.)

To each his/her own. If you don't have any options to offer me as far as a vaccine friendly doc, save it. To the poster who gave the link for vaccine friendly docs by state, Thanks. I have already seen that list, but it is outdated and not totally accurate. There are only two according to that list, one of which is no longer considered vaccine friendly, and the other is an option that we have tried but were very unhappy with, shall we say, her practices "sanitation" practices.....

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 17,314 times
R> Witch doctor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area