Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Mr. Harry's Chickin De-Lux to open in Avondale at ?Bottletree Café space - Birmingham Business Journal

Quote:
The restaurant space at 3719 Third Ave. S. in Avondale will reopen as Mr. Harry's Chickin De-Lux, according to a report from AL.com.

The eatery will be family-styled, fast-casual, including chicken-based dishes ranging from Southern fried chicken to chicken noodle soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM

106 posts, read 162,038 times
Now Thrillist is on board

Where to Eat in America - The 7 Most Underrated American Food Cities in 2015

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM

187 posts, read 214,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
Those are two restaurants worth mentioning. Thrillist is becoming like Buzzfeed or is Buzzfeed (idk i dont pay much attention to them). But what Bham is missing is what's booming in other cities. The mid-market gastro pub fad or movement or whatever.

Five in Lakeview mighhttt be getting close.. I kinda think of them as classy hipster places. To me and in my opinion, those are the best restaurants in any city. I hate hipster, but they do bring some really neat culinary innovations in unstuffy fun environments.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Damn that's sad about Bottletree. That was a gem any city would've been lucky to have. Hate that it didn't work out. Anyone eat there when they had their old brunch menu? Food was phenomenal. I wouldn't be upset if folks decided to reject the new chicken place on principle. I can't patron there, wouldn't feel right.

Here's another bit of underwhelming news:
Black Market Bar and Grill to move into former Metroprime location in Five Points South | AL.com

Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Yes, the Bottletree was a cool place. But from what I hear 'Saturn' captures the same flavor and is a worthy successor. Doesn't feel right for a family chicken restaurant to go in there either. But, I think it is better than being empty.
Avondale will not stop.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, the Bottletree was a cool place. But from what I hear 'Saturn' captures the same flavor and is a worthy successor. Doesn't feel right for a family chicken restaurant to go in there either. But, I think it is better than being empty.
Avondale will not stop.
I was nearby Avondale the other day so I took a spin down 41st to see how activity was stirring at 6:30 pm on a weekday. Amazed to see so many people walking about, eating / drinking. Brewery was full. Groups walking into Parkside. Many inside Saturn with coffee and laptops. Even Wasabi Juans was bringing in folks. Truly a now-extant vibe that people rightfully doubted would ever exist in this city -- a distinct neighborhood district that caters to eclecticism and a more progressive demo. Bottletree was the flagship institution that helped spur that transition from dying neighborhood / industrial sector into what it is today. We know it succumbed to a business decision, but damn I wish there could've been a way to save it. Everyone has been talking about what a shame it is.

I hope Saturn does continue to carry the bar/venue/eatery torch that Bottletree lit. I like the aesthetics of Saturn to.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCityMick View Post
I was nearby Avondale the other day so I took a spin down 41st to see how activity was stirring at 6:30 pm on a weekday. Amazed to see so many people walking about, eating / drinking. Brewery was full. Groups walking into Parkside. Many inside Saturn with coffee and laptops. Even Wasabi Juans was bringing in folks. Truly a now-extant vibe that people rightfully doubted would ever exist in this city -- a distinct neighborhood district that caters to eclecticism and a more progressive demo. Bottletree was the flagship institution that helped spur that transition from dying neighborhood / industrial sector into what it is today. We know it succumbed to a business decision, but damn I wish there could've been a way to save it. Everyone has been talking about what a shame it is.

I hope Saturn does continue to carry the bar/venue/eatery torch that Bottletree lit. I like the aesthetics of Saturn to.

If Nick Pihakis brings something with the flair he has at the Donkey this new place could provide an additional component to the variety that is already Avondale. (I think people are confused by the use of 'family'. It is not going to be a cafeteria)

A big but; I would never swear to not do business with a local businessman simply because he is coming in and trying to contribute to the success of this area and broaden his own 'new direction' in his own business. He did not close Bottletree.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,867 times
Whereever the house is, access to good food is really important.Few years back i had the supermarkets and all of the restaurants very far from my home and it was really hard to get the food.As, time has passed,this problem has been solved now.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:01 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
New Gastropub coming to the 29/7 development in Lakeview.

Owners of Slice to team with former Satterfield's chef on Lakeview restaurant - Birmingham Business Journal

I can't help but think the 45,000 square feet is a typo though. I am guessing 4,500 square feet.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
Construction has started on GILLE29 at Brookwood. This is an upscale, Season's 52 type restaurant.
Why are these franchise restaurants like Seasons21 so popular? Give me an independent any time. I traveled for a living for almost 30 years. I had 3 rules for myself: No chains or franchises unless absolutely no available alternative. No eating at the same restaurant twice and no room service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area