Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:30 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why are these franchise restaurants like Seasons21 so popular? Give me an independent any time. I traveled for a living for almost 30 years. I had 3 rules for myself: No chains or franchises unless absolutely no available alternative. No eating at the same restaurant twice and no room service.
So it's okay to eat at, but if the owner of the restaurant is running a successful business model and opens another location, it suddenly is off-limits? That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:51 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
So it's okay to eat at, but if the owner of the restaurant is running a successful business model and opens another location, it suddenly is off-limits? That makes no sense.
That's not what I said. Many local restaurants have opened a 2nd location. It can bas as good or better than the first. But the more locations that open, the less control the original owner/chef has and that becomes the down-fall

Now that I don't travel, we try to find new places every time. Not too easy after a while. My standards changed.

One additional rule of the road I forgot to mention was that I never went to a bar by myself.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I tried Brixx out for the first time today. It was great. Same place in Patton Creek where an italian place used to be who's name escapes me. Its a new chain from North Carolina which features a wood fired brick oven for their pizzas. Nice setting and they give the kids a little bit of "play dough" that is safe to eat raw but they'll cook them for them once their finished making it into whatever shape they can. Also, they're open until 1am most nights. I had the Rustic and the 4x4 (half and half). Both very very good. It has even converted a hardcore Davenport's lover among us.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,685 times
Nicely done, East Lake. Area needs it.

New coffee shop to open in East Lake - Birmingham Business Journal

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM

East 59 aims to perk up the East Lake neighborhood | AL.com

East Lake getting in on the action.

Quote:
The pop-up shop allowed Glenn-Tolbert and Anna Bates-Brown and their families, East Lake residents themselves, to better understand the neighborhood's desires. From that experience, the coffee shop evolved to include vintage finds as well as breakfast and lunch menus with several healthy options. East 59 includes space for classes and other events. The co-owners relied on family talents, including marketing, graphic and interior design, as they prepared for business.
"The consensus emerged quickly that East Lake wanted something it could call its own," said Michael Glenn, who developed the menu and is Glenn-Tolbert's father.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Never tried this, but it sounds promising.

Nashville's Hattie B's Hot Chicken plans to open Birmingham location | AL.com

Quote:
Nashville's famous Hattie B's Hot Chicken is expanding, with plans to open a location in Birmingham in early 2016, a publicist for the restaurant group confirmed to AL.com this morning.
The Birmingham Hattie B's will be the first outside of Nashville.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM

522 posts, read 846,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I wonder if Sweetie Pies out of St. Louis would do an expansion here. I hear that it is good food as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:32 PM

401 posts, read 536,412 times
Hattie B's is excellent. Weekend mornings in Nashville, the line is out the do'. Great addition to the BHM scene. Try the chicken and waffles with their famous lemonade.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM

779 posts, read 1,010,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That's not what I said. Many local restaurants have opened a 2nd location. It can bas as good or better than the first. But the more locations that open, the less control the original owner/chef has and that becomes the down-fall

Now that I don't travel, we try to find new places every time. Not too easy after a while. My standards changed.

One additional rule of the road I forgot to mention was that I never went to a bar by myself.
Bad travel rules...

Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Uh-oh. So I guess Hattie B's is now a boring chain just like KFC. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area