Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 03:40 PM

666 posts, read 520,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
which "take" are you referring to? the video is 26 minutes long and is mostly an analysis of the 4 games, quality of play, technology, etc.
The take that the turnout both in person and on TV has been bad and its future doesn't look good at all. I've watched a couple of games and it's painful. Watching 2nd rate football just feels like wasting time. Come on, you know you agree. You try to get into it but ehh.

Don't get me wrong, kudus for trying and it gets the city on tv but it's not had the explosive effect that some around here predicted or touted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 06:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,363,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
The take that the turnout both in person and on TV has been bad and its future doesn't look good at all. I've watched a couple of games and it's painful. Watching 2nd rate football just feels like wasting time. Come on, you know you agree. You try to get into it but ehh.

Don't get me wrong, kudus for trying and it gets the city on tv but it's not had the explosive effect that some around here predicted or touted.
It will be interesting to see how the reincarnation of the XFL does next February, if it does indeed return then.

At this point, I don't even think a spring/summer league run by the NFL called something like NFL Spring with teams in NFL and non-NFL markets would even do well. Just look at how bad some of the actual NFL teams are every season, there's just not enough talent for a true NFL "minor league" in the spring/summer.

Everybody knows college football is the minors for the NFL!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,245,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
The take that the turnout both in person and on TV has been bad and its future doesn't look good at all.
where does he say this in the video? and no, i'm not rewatching that whole thing so feel free to give me a timestamp.

the turnout for the stallions games has been pretty good. the atmosphere for the opening game was great, and (weather permitting) the new orleans - birmingham game on saturday should be as well. of course the other games don't have great turnout. i don't think anyone thought that they would? your first post seems to imply that this would be different in any other city but birmingham ("I'm sure he just don't know how Birmunham is booming and on the move."). are you seriously suggesting that the stands would be full in, say, jacksonville or nashville for a football game between birmingham and pittsburgh?

by most accounts, birmingham has done a pretty good job with this league so far. i have no idea if it will last, but it won't be birmingham's fault if it doesn't. i bet if this league were being played in dallas with the exact same level of play, you wouldn't be making the same critiques.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:10 AM

1,020 posts, read 647,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
where does he say this in the video? and no, i'm not rewatching that whole thing so feel free to give me a timestamp.
He doesn't. He spent more time talking about the player getting cut on the reality show and the kickers complaining about the off balance chipped ball than anything else. Overall he gave the USFL a B- and said the opening game with the Stallions was a great showing to start the league.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:13 AM

2,101 posts, read 2,181,701 times
The Executive Vice President of Marketing of Fox Sports Robert Gottlieb twitter (who is the right hand man to the CEO of Fox)

https://mobile.twitter.com/rgottlieb1

Old 04-28-2022, 12:23 PM

[quote=TimCity2000;63340667]where does he say this in the video? and no, i'm not rewatching that whole thing so feel free to give me a timestamp.

That's a good question because I posted the wrong video haha. My bad.. Try this one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-Y2mMXFBY

Old 04-28-2022, 03:08 PM

I'll save everyone the trouble. The guy spends the first five minutes or so explaining why he isn't a negative, hot take, click bait kind of guy and we should all listen to him and then proceeds to compare the USFL to Alabama playing Georgia on Easter Sunday in a thunderstorm which would have packed Protective out.

K. I didn't get any further after that.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I'll save everyone the trouble. The guy spends the first five minutes or so explaining why he isn't a negative, hot take, click bait kind of guy and we should all listen to him and then proceeds to compare the USFL to Alabama playing Georgia on Easter Sunday in a thunderstorm which would have packed Protective out.

K. I didn't get any further after that.
That's a good argument though don't you agree? We like to say "oh it was Easter weekend"... But if it was a team we cared about like UA or AU playing anyone, the stadium would have been packed out.

We make the argument that the USFL is really all about viewership too right? Well, if that's the case, it's not looking good as USFL's viewership is about half what the XFL had in its debut week and trending downward each week.

I also heard (not sure how true this is) that they handed out 40,000 tickets during its debut game but only about 17,000 showed up.

All I'm saying is it's not looking good for the league despite all the sunshine pumped about the league and how it will elevate Birmingham to a new tier practically.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:27 PM

Tough game on the road against the best D in the league, but my Stallions came through with the dub.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:54 AM

6,177 posts, read 3,388,775 times
I’m really enjoying this new league. If I was in Birmingham, I’d definitely go to a lot of games. The tickets are very reasonably priced, to say the least.

I’m kind of surprised that more people aren’t going to the games. What else is there to do in Birmingham? Assuming that kids like football, a father should be taking his kids there to watch a cheap game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area