Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,473 times

Advertisements

I was born in B'ham.
Went to school in Tusc.
Lived in Huntsville and B'ham.
I moved around between those events including time in Tupelo/Clinton MS.

In 2007 I moved to Colorado and thought I would live here for the rest of the days God would give me. Recently my wife and I been discussing our areas to raise our family and to pursue God's blessings for us.

We love all that the Colorado mountains have to offer, the true 4 seasons, the dry climate, not having to deal with severe storms, and a few more things. We have several Costco stores in our area including Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and the like which is a big plus.

But the negatives are becoming worse like the politics, property taxes, increasing congestion, and the air pollution. Most people here are shallow and don't care about building meaningful friendships. We're now on our 4th church in 10 years and still don't have any significant church friendships except for one other family. Don't judge me on changing churches - it's very different here. I've not found the tight-knit church communities I had when I lived in the South.

Though it may be hard to believe for those in the South, but I volunteered to coach a high school sport at a local public school. I learned the hard way a lot of high schools around here do not put a lot of excellence into their sports programs. This has us a bit concerned if our child wants to play sports in high school.

Now, we're looking for a back-up option. We thought it might be Idaho, but that place is the new California. It's becoming very crowded. If we could handle the politics of the Northwest we would consider Oregon/Washington. The outdoor activities and beauty there are phenomenal. But we will not move there.

We're considering if B'ham might be an option. More specifically, the areas of Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Meadowbrook, Pelham, etc.

Putting this out there for your thoughts and wisdom.

Last edited by Davis_Family; 02-20-2024 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 05:12 PM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
If you can't handle the atmosphere in Colorado - you definitely wouldn't do well in Oregon/Washington. We moved from NY State to Alabama and I love it. The taxes, politics, snow ect got to be unbearable despite NY being a beautiful state that has lots to offer. Best to you - no matter where you decide to move.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:39 PM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Think long and hard.

I can't really comment on schools and moving for your kids is not something I can comment on.

But many churches (which you reference) are not what they were 20-30 years ago. I doubt you will find churches here any different. Four churches in 10 years doesn't sound that unusual to me. Half the church goers are not there for God but for social reasons. Just my opinion.

I moved from a much larger city back to B'ham many years ago and consider it one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I don't hate B'ham. But sometimes a different part of the great ole U.S.A. doesn't change anything.

Wish you much success in your decision.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,473 times
Yes, we are putting all of this into prayer and into God's hands. There are many things about CO we love and would be not easy to leave behind. I've traveled to about 35 states and over a dozen foreign countries... so I know that many problems will stay with you no matter the zip code you are in.

I know there are some very good neighborhoods in B'ham and some very bad ones. B'ham has its share of horrible traffic. There are a lot of mega-churches in the area which would most likely not appeal to us. Not sure if we would find a small Jesus-centered community easily. Maybe we would have to build it from scratch. A lot will depend on what our family needs in regards to schools, building businesses, and access to outdoor activities. It will be difficult to let skiing go and would have to find a way to replace it.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:15 AM

666 posts, read 515,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_Family View Post
Yes, we are putting all of this into prayer and into God's hands. There are many things about CO we love and would be not easy to leave behind. I've traveled to about 35 states and over a dozen foreign countries... so I know that many problems will stay with you no matter the zip code you are in.

I know there are some very good neighborhoods in B'ham and some very bad ones. B'ham has its share of horrible traffic. There are a lot of mega-churches in the area which would most likely not appeal to us. Not sure if we would find a small Jesus-centered community easily. Maybe we would have to build it from scratch. A lot will depend on what our family needs in regards to schools, building businesses, and access to outdoor activities. It will be difficult to let skiing go and would have to find a way to replace it.
You'll find alot of religion in Alabama. Lots of church going and alot of talking the talk, but in the end, people are just people. It honestly seems like I've found more Jesus followers outside of the Bible belt. I think we're so enamored with our church attendance, checking the box, raising our hands to a good song, that we think we're "good Christians" but finding actual Jesus followers is difficult. Yes there are plenty! BUt don't think that becuase it's the bible belt, conservative south, or because there are alot of church buildings that you're going to find an abundance of the types you're looking for.

But yes, you'll find that every person owns a bible and has been to church or at least goes occasionally. You won't be viewed as a total lunatic but you also will find a level of superficiality as well. Most people go to church because it's what they grew up doing, free child car for a couple of hours, feel judged if they don't go, etc.. This is a whole other thread haha...

Old 03-07-2024, 10:53 AM

946 posts, read 774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
You'll find alot of religion in Alabama. Lots of church going and alot of talking the talk, but in the end, people are just people. It honestly seems like I've found more Jesus followers outside of the Bible belt. I think we're so enamored with our church attendance, checking the box, raising our hands to a good song, that we think we're "good Christians" but finding actual Jesus followers is difficult. Yes there are plenty! BUt don't think that becuase it's the bible belt, conservative south, or because there are alot of church buildings that you're going to find an abundance of the types you're looking for.

But yes, you'll find that every person owns a bible and has been to church or at least goes occasionally. You won't be viewed as a total lunatic but you also will find a level of superficiality as well. Most people go to church because it's what they grew up doing, free child car for a couple of hours, feel judged if they don't go, etc.. This is a whole other thread haha...
Well said. I had to chuckle on some of this.

Another thing that is always brought up about "The South" is racism. I've also been a lot of places like the OP and the most racist things I have ever run into are in other part of the country, not the south.

So OP in that respect, I think you will find B'ham far out ahead of other parts of this country.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:34 AM

666 posts, read 515,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Well said. I had to chuckle on some of this.

Another thing that is always brought up about "The South" is racism. I've also been a lot of places like the OP and the most racist things I have ever run into are in other part of the country, not the south.

So OP in that respect, I think you will find B'ham far out ahead of other parts of this country.
Agree. I've found other parts of the country more racist as well. Voting patterns may not lead you to believe that, but there's an undertow, and it can be strong. I moved to Dallas for a while and I perceived (key word perceived) much more open racism. While in alabama I felt like it was at least hush hush, in Dallas, it was more like "yep i said it, who cares and ********* then if you don't like it."

Of course, there are far more Hispanics in/around Dallas and they're generally quite racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area