Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 03:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,128,773 times

Advertisements

I just read the book by Matthew Perry, which was excellent, and then a book by the woman who was married to Bruce Jenner, and lived with Elvis Presley for many years. It was good but not as riveting as the book by Perry. Maybe because he had just died when I read it, I don't know.

The book by Matthew Perry was Friends, Lovers and the Big, Terrible Thing. The one by Linda Thompson was called A Little Thing Called Life, I believe. I would recommend both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 04:49 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,367,678 times
I'm almost finished reading "Astor" by Anderson Cooper and Katherine Howe. With all the interest right now in The Gilded Age and Caroline Astor's "400", it's an excellent read and Cooper has some unique insight into that family considering his ancestors, the Vanderbilts, were contemporaries of them...contemporaries the Astors looked down upon because they considered them "nouveau rich". Ironic, since the Astor fortune originally grew from skinning beavers!

Each generation of that family had some particular scandal...John Jacob Astor IV left his wife for an 18-year-old girl only to lose his life on the Titanic returning from his European honeymoon; the life long rift between his two sons, half-brothers Vincent and John Jacob VI (who was born months after his widowed teenage mother Madeline Astor survived the Titanic in a lifeboat); the branch that left the U.S. to reside in England and became the Viscount Astors; the "other" John Jacob Astor, a distant relative, a cigar maker who died in poverty in an alms house; and the "last" Mrs. Astor's son charged and convicted with embezzling her fortune. Brooke Astor was the widow of Vincent Astor., and the heir to his estate. The book is one of the most interesting nonfictions I've read in a long time.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-08-2024 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-19-2024, 08:22 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
One book I read recently was The Many Lives of Micheal Bloomberg/Eleanor Randolph

He's now the 4th or 5th richest billionaire in the world, he did some great things for NYC as Mayor for 3 terms, and he has his many Philanthropic endeavors, and he shells out millions to Democratic Candidates at election time.

Not the most exciting bio, but sufficiently interesting.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:10 PM

1,444 posts, read 1,049,380 times
https://www.regnery.com/9781684515905/mere-natural-law/

Quote:
Mere Natural Law: Originalism and the Anchoring Truths of the Constitution
by Hadley Arkes

In this profoundly important reassessment of constitutional interpretation, the eminent legal philosopher Hadley Arkes argues that "originalism" alone is an inadequate answer to judicial activism.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,701,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
I'm always leery of anything published by Regnery Publishing.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:58 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
I just finished reading FAcemaker/A Visionary Surgeon's Battle to Mend the Disfigured Soldiers of WWI/Lindsey Fitzharris.

Magicians, that's what I term these FAcial/plastic surgeons. All these soldiers returning from the battle field with blown off noses, jaws, mouths, ears, it's amazing how they can repair these faces. The British gov't gave those with the disfigured faces a full pension as who's going to hire them?

Today they can even do total face transplants, take the face off a young man or woman that died and transplant the whole face to a burn victim.

Magicians, I have no other word to describe these Saints.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:00 PM

Tulsi Gabbard's first book - For Love of Country, Leave the Democrat Party Behind

https://www.tulsigabbard.com/book

Quote:
"Tulsi Gabbard is one of the bravest people in the United States—and if you doubt that, consider what she’s lost for telling the truth about the most powerful people in the world."
Tucker Carlson

Old 03-26-2024, 12:05 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,964,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Tulsi Gabbard's first book - For Love of Country, Leave the Democrat Party Behind

https://www.tulsigabbard.com/book
It seems you got lost on your way to the Politics & Other Controversies forum

ETA that Buddhist Republicans are an *extremely* rare breed...83% of Americans who identify as Buddhist lean or are Democrats, 14% are moderates. You are part of the remaining 3%

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...ndscape-study/

Old 03-30-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post

ETA that Buddhist Republicans are an *extremely* rare breed...83% of Americans who identify as Buddhist lean or are Democrats, 14% are moderates. You are part of the remaining 3%
Unwarranted assumption. No party (NPP) registration, independent.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:59 PM

Christopher Rufo Moderator cut: lets not get political here

Quote:
America's Cultural Revolution is the definitive account of the radical Left’s long march through the institutions. Through deep historical research, Rufo shows how the ideas first formulated in the pamphlets of the Weather Underground, Black Panther Party, and Black Liberation Army have been sanitized and adopted as the official ideology of America’s prestige institutions, from the Ivy League universities to the boardrooms of Wal-Mart, Disney, and Bank of America. But his book is not just an exposé. It is a meticulously-researched and passionate refutation of the arguments of CRT—and a roadmap for the counter-revolution to come.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-20-2024 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books