Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
That is NOT true in any way shape or form. The worst areas in Boston are as bad as the worst in Cleveland. There are groups of blocks in Boston neighborhoods that have the same rates of crime as groups of blocks in Cleveland. The difference is a smaller portion of the population in Boston live in high crime areas compared to Cleveland. That is what offsets the citywide rate.

What also throws the Boston crime rate off is that it is a small city in size and lots of the bad areas are located just outside city limits. If you extended Boston city limits to include certain other areas the crime rate would be substantially higher. Many other cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Los Angeles are a lot bigger in size and include many bad areas in their city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
I've spent the majority of my life living in the areas others would deem as dangerous, and my opinion (coming from a black female in her mid 20's for reference)

I lived most of my life in Roxbury, near Egleston Sq. I never recalled it being dangerous, though I knew not to hang out near the housing developments on Seaver St./Humblodt Ave. (the H-Block gang is still alive and well in that neighborhood). the nearby Grove Hall area is still a bit sketchy, but there's more business there now and it's being fixed up. the Frankin Park Zoo/Columbia Rd./Frankiln Field area is still pretty dangerous (for example, someone was killed on an MBTA bus near the FF projects and there was another shooting near Columbia Rd.).

in fact, most of the area surrounding Blue Hill Ave can be quite dangerous. I believe most of Boston's murders happens no more than a block from BHA (BHA is well lit and traveled, so not much happens on the actual street, however some of the side streets are deadly). if you're looking for an apt in Boston, avoid anything near BHA

the Bromley-Heath projects near the Jackson Sq. T stop is also quite bad (this area is on the border line of Jamaica Plain and Roxbury. I think it's considered the Egleston Sq. area). it looks pretty in pictures, but there's a well known drug problem there and people have been killed/raped there in the past

Mattapan (aka "Murderpan" to those who like to bash it) has it's good parts and it's bad. I lived off of Cummings Hgwy, which was very nice (lots of single family homes, well maintained, quiet). I believe there was a murder there near the cemetery, but common sense should tell you not to walk through there at night. the parts of Mattapan off of Blue Hill Ave are a bit rougher (again, avoid BHA!). when I lived there, it was pretty quiet, but this year it's gotten worse

Dorchester is so large and diverse, it ridiculous to say the entire area is dangerous. Savin Hill, Ashmont Hill, and Neponset are not dangerous and Ashmont Hill is home to multimillion dollar houses. the sketchy areas of Dottie include Fields Corner, Four Corners, Codman Sq., Uphams Corner, and the area near Morton St (which borders Mattapan. the infamous "Chez Vous" roller rink was here, and it was also so funny how long it took cops to respond to shootings/stabbings there considering the police station was less than 5 yards away)

anyone w/ common sense and no ties to gang activity shouldn't worry too much about these areas. as a female, I wouldn't even walk through Newton at 1am, never mind Roxbury (it always surprises me when I hear about the assaults on the Esplanade that there are women jogging through a large deserted park at 11pm-4am! living near Beacon Hill doesn't mean you're safe bouncing by hordes of homeless men while your ipod is blaring). I can't compare it to other cities (never lived any where else), but it seems, IMO that there's a lot less random crime than in other cities. again, have some common sense and make sure your friends aren't drug dealers/gang bangers and you should be fine

Last edited by eevee; 07-30-2007 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
I just really wish i could get the last 5 mins of my life back lol

Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester View Post
besides what does deval patrick living in milton know about the poor or kened living in a compound of all things down oin thecape cod know about us

nothing
you realize he grew up in the projects, right?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 PM

143 posts, read 871,065 times
born chicago 1956 top student in middle so got awarded a scholorship to milton acadamy(very exclusive school) in milton.
then went to harvard where he graduated
after being in africa for a year with the UN he went to law school at harvard, lived in cambridge
then became a lawyer then worked as executive vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary for Coca-Cola in Atlanta and New york
served on the board of reebok

yes he knows so much about how the poor are today and how people are struggling, living on the street, gangs, drugs etc

Old 07-31-2007, 05:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester View Post
born chicago 1956 top student in middle so got awarded a scholorship to milton acadamy(very exclusive school) in milton.
then went to harvard where he graduated
after being in africa for a year with the UN he went to law school at harvard, lived in cambridge
then became a lawyer then worked as executive vice president, general counsel and corporate secretary for Coca-Cola in Atlanta and New york
served on the board of reebok

yes he knows so much about how the poor are today and how people are struggling, living on the street, gangs, drugs etc
And exactly which politician that you see in his position is more "qualified" to speak on the plight of those in low income neighborhoods?

So basically you are saying he should be penalized because he has been motivated, driven and successful? He lived in the Projects through middle school, that is the age group that most kids start to fall victim to their surroundings. Please also do not forget to mention that when he was awarded this scholarship his family was still back in his old neighborhood, so he still had ties there.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM

did I say that he should be punished no, did I say any elected officals understand how some of us are struggling, no I never

as for me being qualified well growing up and spending most of my life in those areas, doing charity work in those areas, living in those areas, working in those areas, still going back to those areas because of family still there

stop being so defensive of him he understands nothing of the man struggling to pay the rent today neither does any official in mass and certainly not kennedy in his compound or kerry in beacon hill.(who has a water hydrant moved outside his house when he bought it because he wanted to park right outside his house) at the cost of tax payers
He can certainly come to mattapan and live for a few years same as you when you move to masssachusetts,.

going by your point then that's like saying brittany spears understands because she was in a trailer and still has famly there same as many boxers who have made it big though a lot of them do tend to go back and never forget their roots

just because someone is born somewhere and has no spent most of his life living in riches, posh areas and have money does not mean he understands now

anyway good luck with your move to massachusetts

out of curiousity I remember you haven't lived in massachusetts and you're from canada so not sure how it is north of the border but do you really believe any official understands how the lower/working class feel and do you believe anything they say?

Not a dig or nothing but just wondering out of curiousity that's all

Last edited by manchester; 07-31-2007 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
I understand where you are coming from, I agree that Gov Patrick and most other politicians are far removed from living the same life as the working class or poor man. I was simply stating that Deval Patrick at least has spent some time living under these conditions, which is more than what I can say about most politicians who tend to have grown up privileged since day 1.

I have lived in low income neighborhoods (Vaughn and Oakwood in Toronto and Bushwick in Brooklyn) for a portion of my life and made a decent life for myself, so I can appreciate the obstacles that Deval Patrick had to overcome to achieve what he has.

As far as trusting any politician.....Hell NO I don't trust any of them. Politicians are in the lobbyists pockets completely. Which is why I have to laugh to myself when I read posts on this site about how people want to escape Mass due to the political climate, all the politicians are basically the same person dressed up in different clothing. So when I was speaking about Deval Patrick I was not supporting the man, I was simply stating that I applaud him for what he has accomplished and that he did not grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Thank you for your best wishes on my move to Mass, we are hoping it works out well also.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Default some very localized bad spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I've spent the majority of my life living in the areas others would deem as dangerous, and my opinion (coming from a black female in her mid 20's for reference)

I lived most of my life in Roxbury, near Egleston Sq. I never recalled it being dangerous, though I knew not to hang out near the housing developments on Seaver St./Humblodt Ave. (the H-Block gang is still alive and well in that neighborhood). the nearby Grove Hall area is still a bit sketchy, but there's more business there now and it's being fixed up. the Frankin Park Zoo/Columbia Rd./Frankiln Field area is still pretty dangerous (for example, someone was killed on an MBTA bus near the FF projects and there was another shooting near Columbia Rd.).

in fact, most of the area surrounding Blue Hill Ave can be quite dangerous. I believe most of Boston's murders happens no more than a block from BHA (BHA is well lit and traveled, so not much happens on the actual street, however some of the side streets are deadly). if you're looking for an apt in Boston, avoid anything near BHA

the Bromley-Heath projects near the Jackson Sq. T stop is also quite bad (this area is on the border line of Jamaica Plain and Roxbury. I think it's considered the Egleston Sq. area). it looks pretty in pictures, but there's a well known drug problem there and people have been killed/raped there in the past

Mattapan (aka "Murderpan" to those who like to bash it) has it's good parts and it's bad. I lived off of Cummings Hgwy, which was very nice (lots of single family homes, well maintained, quiet). I believe there was a murder there near the cemetery, but common sense should tell you not to walk through there at night. the parts of Mattapan off of Blue Hill Ave are a bit rougher (again, avoid BHA!). when I lived there, it was pretty quiet, but this year it's gotten worse

Dorchester is so large and diverse, it ridiculous to say the entire area is dangerous. Savin Hill, Ashmont Hill, and Neponset are not dangerous and Ashmont Hill is home to multimillion dollar houses. the sketchy areas of Dottie include Fields Corner, Four Corners, Codman Sq., Uphams Corner, and the area near Morton St (which borders Mattapan. the infamous "Chez Vous" roller rink was here, and it was also so funny how long it took cops to respond to shootings/stabbings there considering the police station was less than 5 yards away)

anyone w/ common sense and no ties to gang activity shouldn't worry too much about these areas. as a female, I wouldn't even walk through Newton at 1am, never mind Roxbury (it always surprises me when I hear about the assaults on the Esplanade that there are women jogging through a large deserted park at 11pm-4am! living near Beacon Hill doesn't mean you're safe bouncing by hordes of homeless men while your ipod is blaring). I can't compare it to other cities (never lived any where else), but it seems, IMO that there's a lot less random crime than in other cities. again, have some common sense and make sure your friends aren't drug dealers/gang bangers and you should be fine
Some good details here. I've been hearing about a lot of these places for years, but it gives a better picture to get info like the side streets off Blue Hill being the especially dangerous spots, rather than the main avenue itself. Used to hear bad things about Seaver St. back in the '80's. Hadn't heard so much lately, but apparently it's still a dangerous area.

The south end is another area where it depends on what part you're in. The area has seen growing gentrification for about twenty years. A lot of areas farther north in the south end (north/south, could get confusing), closer to downtown, are really nice, so the south end as a whole is varied as to where the sketchy areas are.

An important point that comes out in some of these posts is that it's not entire large neighborhoods that are trouble spots, but smaller sections within those neigborhoods. Good thoughts too on how it doesn't make sense to go jogging through the Esplanade late at night and think you're safe just because the general area is upscale.

Really, any park is best avoided late at night, the Common being a POSSIBLE exception because it's so wide open and visible from the surrounding streets. How about the Fenway? I'm not very familiar with the area, but I hear you might think twice about a midnight stroll through that neighborhood. Also, I might stay away from the downtown retail district at night. I never hear much about trouble there, but I've walked through there a couple of times in the early evening, only an hour or so after all the stores had closed. Wintertime, so it was dark even in the early evening, and absolutely empty, except for a bunch of scuzzy street characters hanging around. It certainly didn't FEEL very safe around there.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Matt

him ,condaleeza rice, sportsman others etc have my respect to get where they have

To get out and make something of themselves should regardless if you agree with them or not deserve respect

take care and peace out

As far as trusting any politician.....Hell NO I don't trust any of them.
This brought a smie to my face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston