Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
I imagine LeavingMA is reffering not to the places you mentioned (maybe east Somerville) but places like Chelsea, Everett, Revere, maybe Malden. These are seperate municipalities, but they are physically far more connected to the urban core of Boston than say West Roxbury, a huge Boston neighborhood that is practically suburban. I'm sure if you "bump" the city limit boundries a mile north (to say Roslindale) and encompass Chelsea, etc. the city crime stats will go up. How much I can't say.
Thank you, that is what I meant. When comparing the boundries of Boston compared to other cities, Boston is a lot smaller in square miles than other cities. I was simply stating if you extended the city limits to include some other "bad" areas you can fudge around with the crime rate.

According to the 2000 census Boston is only 48.4 square miles. New York City is 303, Los Angeles is 469, and Houston 579.

ChunkyMonkey, just because my name implies I am leaving MA doesn't mean my remarks are biased against the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Thank you, that is what I meant. When comparing the boundries of Boston compared to other cities, Boston is a lot smaller in square miles than other cities. I was simply stating if you extended the city limits to include some other "bad" areas you can fudge around with the crime rate.

According to the 2000 census Boston is only 48.4 square miles. New York City is 303, Los Angeles is 469, and Houston 579.

ChunkyMonkey, just because my name implies I am leaving MA doesn't mean my remarks are biased against the state.
Point taken. However, your previous post suggested that the city is not as safe when you take the surrounding areas into consideration. So, I've just listed the crime stats for comparing metros (not city limits), which actually contradicts your post and shows that Boston is even safer than most cities in the U.S. especially if you take the surrounding areas into consideration.

By the way, I live in Malden and am familiar with Revere and Everett. I don't think any of these towns are unsafe in any way.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,255 times
Default Looking for a great place to live in Boston

Hello,
I'm relocating from Charlotte, NC and will be moving to the Boston area in June. I was wondering if anyone could give me areas that will be suitable for a mother with 3 children. I need a good elementary school and high school. The price range i'm looking for is about 1100.00-1300.00 a month for a 3 bedroom. Any leads please leave me note.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 AM

188 posts, read 989,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post

By the way, I live in Malden and am familiar with Revere and Everett. I don't think any of these towns are unsafe in any way.
I accept your opinion and understand your right of judgement. No they're not as bad as Camden, NJ, Compton, CA, Oakland, CA, or Corpus Christi, TX... but in comparison with much of MASS.. relatively I believe they are less safe.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphifer View Post
Hello,
I'm relocating from Charlotte, NC and will be moving to the Boston area in June. I was wondering if anyone could give me areas that will be suitable for a mother with 3 children. I need a good elementary school and high school. The price range i'm looking for is about 1100.00-1300.00 a month for a 3 bedroom. Any leads please leave me note.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/abo/460452505.html (broken link)

North Andover...

Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM

11 posts, read 81,912 times
everyone is getting off topic the most dangerous parts of boston
mattapan
dorchester
roxbury
some

Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 81,912 times
everyone is getting off topic the most dangerous sections of boston are
mattapan (gangs, drugs)
dorchester(gangs, drug)
roxbury(gangs, drugs)
some parts of jamaica plain( gangs, drugs)
some parts of chinatown(mostly drugs, prostitution, gang activity)
east boston (gangs, drugs)

Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Boston is jokingly safe compared to nearly any city. It's surrounded by expansive areas with excellent education. It's nothing like Miami. You shouldn't worry about it much.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
parts of east boston, roxbury, dorchester mattaphan some of hyde park near cleary sq.
chelesa also

Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM

450 posts, read 557,749 times
I used to live right near cleary square a few years ago and it was alright back then but the locals did tell me that the place was changing and for the worse

used to get the bus from hyde park to mattapan along river street and while waiting for the bus at mattapan I got told to hand over money for some joke of a necklace, never did
got told on a couple of occasions what you doing here white boy
got on the bug from forest hills to hyde park and was asked why you sitting here white boy go uo front these seats are not yours, er yes they are and I did sit there so they say that's cool
in the barbers getting a haircut and a man comes in waving a knife looking for the man who went with his wife
two kids got shot at the school
at mattapan bus stop saw two kids got shot in the morning
had my car stolen and it was found in the mattapan projects
had my cycle stolen
got asked many times if my dog wanted to fight their dog for money, yea hang on I'll ask him
had kids throwing rocks at my dog while he was in the garden
found there was a crack house two doors down on the corner of river and west
played soccer for a haitian team and always called racist names

I lived there for a year

o and roxbury , dorchester is just as bad iinfact most places in boston are bad unless you go to the north end where the italians live though yuppies are moving in, southie used to be alright so I am told as that was run by irish gangsters until whitey did a runner
beacon hill, is nice and safe, parts of jamaica plain is nice infact centre of boston is safe, chine town is safe as that is run by the triads

boston is going through a bad crime wave and the mayor menino thinks paying for guns again is somehow going to stop the crime when in the past it hasn't still he'll never learn that criminals and druggies won't sell their guns to the tax payer they'll keep the guns.

good thing is that when you are broken into or attacked then if you defend yourself you could be prosecuted especially if you shoot the robber

east boston has now MS13 in there and they have taken over

you'll find boston is very racially segregated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston