Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times

Advertisements

I think what you mean by "Purple Line" is our commuter rail system but when you come to Boston, please don't refer to it as the Purple Line because no one will understand you. I have never been to Atlanta or Miami before but I can say that Greater Boston is nowadays relatively safe compared to many other cities in the US. Still, Boston is a major city so please don't also walk around as if you're "walking into the woods from your backyard" or else you will be inviting trouble. Be alert wherever you go, especially at night. Boston's most dangerous areas are parts of Roxbury, parts of East Boston, much of Dorchester, and Mattapan but as a first time visitor, you'll most likely not be visiting these places because there's nothing much to see in them anyways. Our rapid transit system is generally safe but as with any city keep a tight grip on your valuables and don't flash anything too expensive around. I don't know why you would be interested in taking commuter rail out to the farther suburbs as there isn't much to see in them and the fact that our commuter rail schedules are sparse compared to other cities'. Still if you insist, might I suggest Winchester, Norwood, Belmont, Waltham, or Beverly. Don't say I didn't warn you if you felt like you got sent on a fool's errand when you find out how boring suburban life can be though. Our suburban shopping malls are usually away from train stations and reachable only by car. We don't have the same time of urbanized build-out that European or Asian cities do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 PM

200 posts, read 391,839 times
I'm from the desert, and going to the green for me is so much different. Like when you drive, all you see are trees around you. And trees everywhere. So the Purple Line is the Commuter rail? I did not know that. I also saw it goes all the way to Providence. And I did not know that the malls are far from the train station. But there should also be a bus too.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:46 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
I'm from the desert, and going to the green for me is so much different. Like when you drive, all you see are trees around you. And trees everywhere. So the Purple Line is the Commuter rail? I did not know that. I also saw it goes all the way to Providence. And I did not know that the malls are far from the train station. But there should also be a bus too.
Yes, one of the lines does go to Providence and there is a large shopping mall right across from the Providence train station but Providence is not a family friendly suburb or small town. It's a major city in its own right and capital to Rhode Island, the state to the south of Massachusetts. Yes there are buses that connect to our shopping malls from the commuter rail or subway/rapid transit. Speaking of which, if you really want to take a good look at our suburbs, our neighborhoods, our city and town centers, and our shopping malls, might I suggest you try riding some of our local buses instead of the commuter rail. When you arrive in Boston, be sure to obtain a "Charlie Card", a plastic transit card that you can put money into for riding our rapid transit and buses. Your first transfer between any subway/rapid transit route and local bus route is free as long as you transfer within two hours of paying for your ride. Otherwise, you can purchase a "Link" Pass which allows you unlimited subway and local bus rides for either one day or seven days. Bus schedules are available in the major transit stations in Downtown Boston.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:47 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
You should ideally have car and visit Salem, Rockport, Newburyport up north. Lexington and Concord to the west, and Plymouth to the south, if you want some extra history and MA flavor. You will not find malls in any of them since they are old towns with no extra space for such big parking lots, so stuff like that in MA is usually away from towns and along highways.

My advice is to stick to the city of Boston which has tons to see, experience, and do. It is very safe overall. Best mall for visitors is actually downtown Boston and it is called Prudential Center.

In general, as tourist who wants to see best areas we can offer to visitors, you should stick to downtown Boston Common and Public Garden area, Beacon Hill, North End, Faneuil Hall and Newbury St., Boylston St., and Commonwealth Ave. and you will have so much to see, to do, places to eat, including great shopping. We tend to have, as an old city tons of charming streets with great small shops all over the place.

You could also hop on Red Like into Harvard Sq. and check out Harvard University and surrounding bustling and walkable area. Tons to see and experience as well.

BTW you will see trees everywhere you go and especially on Boston Common and Public Garden. However season is quite late and depending on your arrival, things might not be as green as you would like them to be.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
I was wanting to go to an area that is family oriented. An area where you have all of your local stores and your mall where everyone in that one area goes to. It would be nice to see something like that. Like an area like Chandler or Mesa in Phoenix that is all family oriented. So pretty much, if I take the Purple Line, I would be in historic areas?
Maybe not "historic", but old, like almost everything in eastern Mass. I'm still confused, though. Are you looking to move to Massachusetts or visit? There are plenty of family-friendly towns like Arlington, etc. Some of them even have malls. But they're not exactly tourist attractions.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
I think I get it-- maybe not, but seems clear that the OP is interested in getting an idea of typical suburban landscapes and environments around Boston. He's hoping to find a commuter train to where he can walk around and see the layout-- typical houses, streets, yards, open space, whether you can in fact walk into the woods from someone's backyard. Also a shopping mall. The malls in Boston and Cambridge are fun but hardly typical. Easiest suburban complex to reach may be Chestnut Hill on the Green (Riverside) line but that's very high end and not typical either. South Shore Plaza in Braintree is more what he's looking for I'd think. Could take the red line down to Braintree or Quincy and catch the 238 or the 236 bus to the mall. Or walk the mile and a half through the Braintree streets. Not what every tourist would want to do but this could be good for him. Another typical sort of mall is Burlington. One idea is to rent a bike in Cambridge and ride out to Lexington on the railtrail. Then see Lexington, which is not typical either but gives a good idea of a kind of historic, idealized suburban landscape, and then head up to the Burlington Mall. He should see some of Arlington along the way too, which is more early 20th century smaller lot, more walkable suburban, and very nice. Anyway, nothing to fear in any of those places.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Coming from El Paso or Pheonix it could be pretty interesting just to see some of the residential areas in the city. Maybe take the No. 66 bus from Brigham Circle to Harvard or the 86 from Cleveland Circle to Union Sq Somerville and then the 91 down through Inman Square to Central Square. Another good route: 57 from Kenmore to Watertown and 71 to Harvard. It's all so different from Phoenix!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 PM

I'm actually from El Paso and I go to Phoenix very often, at least 4 or 5 times a year. Phoenix neighborhoods look about the same as El Paso neighborhoods. Only key differences are that there are no rock walls and no trash. Oh, and the houses look different too in Phoenix. It seems like small houses are very popular in Phoenix for some reason. Not sure why most houses are only one story in Phoenix while in El Paso, they are all 2 stories.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes, one of the lines does go to Providence and there is a large shopping mall right across from the Providence train station but Providence is not a family friendly suburb or small town. It's a major city in its own right and capital to Rhode Island, the state to the south of Massachusetts. Yes there are buses that connect to our shopping malls from the commuter rail or subway/rapid transit. Speaking of which, if you really want to take a good look at our suburbs, our neighborhoods, our city and town centers, and our shopping malls, might I suggest you try riding some of our local buses instead of the commuter rail. When you arrive in Boston, be sure to obtain a "Charlie Card", a plastic transit card that you can put money into for riding our rapid transit and buses. Your first transfer between any subway/rapid transit route and local bus route is free as long as you transfer within two hours of paying for your ride. Otherwise, you can purchase a "Link" Pass which allows you unlimited subway and local bus rides for either one day or seven days. Bus schedules are available in the major transit stations in Downtown Boston.
I'll probably purchase a Link Pass, because I will be there for close to a week. Then, I can take the buses to the more authentic areas of Boston where there are no tourists and see the real lifestyle Bostonians live. And I may go to Providence, but I am not sure of that yet.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:59 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
I'll probably purchase a Link Pass, because I will be there for close to a week. Then, I can take the buses to the more authentic areas of Boston where there are no tourists and see the real lifestyle Bostonians live. And I may go to Providence, but I am not sure of that yet.
If I were you I'd actually avoid going to "the authentic areas" since you were asking which neighborhoods were dangerous.

Boston is a city where most middle class people live outside city limits. There is a small affluent population in the city itself (tourist Boston) and a much larger lower class population outside the areas a tourist would normally go to. Chances are you'd probably be fine, but I'm not sure you'd be impressed with what you see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston