Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:50 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
And FWIW, you're over thinking your visit to Boston and making yourself more anxious than need be. Go with a positive attitude and you'll enjoy your visit!
Word to yo Motha. A big +1 on that ther ^^^. Repped.

OP, your friend's an idiot. We're not rude, we're awesome. It's just that people are going about their day, and it can be stressful, and they have many things to take care of, and many other things that make people here seem rude, but I don't want to get into all of it here.

Bottom line is this: on behalf of all, yes ALL Bostonians (the people, not the shoes), let me say that I love you. And I love all people from Phoenix, may they come here in droves and visit our suburbs and malls, and ride our subways while they film the experience. May they enjoy all that our woods have to offer and eat our lobstaaahhhs and enjoy our...ahh screw it. OP, have a great time here.

I'm from NYC. Your impression of NYC is all wrong. It's a friendly place. Boston is a pretty small city actually. That's why I like it. It's easy to manage. If you want to see a Mecca, go to NYC. Not saying NYC is better, I like Boston, but for Mecca purposes, NYC wins easy. What makes Boston (and other cities) fun are the touristy places. Do that in your spare time. Learn all about American history and then visit the places you learned about. It's fascinating and truly awe inspiring.

The life people live here on an everyday basis is boring and stressful. Is that really what you want in a vacation? Me thinks not, me thinks not. But hey, I'm not you my strange little friend. So go crazy and have a boring blast if that floats your boat. And remember, we love you. Oh, and please don't shove me on the train.

Best of luck, welcome, and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 PM

200 posts, read 392,638 times
My friend just says that people are rude in Boston. Maybe he had many bad experiences.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 AM

Well, all kidding aside...I guess people here can be rude. My guess though is that your friend is also perceiving people’s reaction to stress, which can certainly emanate rudeness. We’re just not as relaxed as other places I suppose. There is rudeness and then there is being uptight and stressed. I think that many times, people get those confused, which is understandable. And people here are direct, we say what we want clearly and directly and don’t beat around the bush as much as in other places, and we are less patient. We also don’t let people take advantage of us and call people out quicker and more sharply sometimes. Living here can be hard because of things like our commute (and getting around in general) and financial issues. This is an expensive place and sometimes, the pressure of making it here financially can be overwhelming. It’s also a competitive place in an academic sense, professional sense, and others. So that too adds pressure. It’s not all bad though and at least you know what you get. We don’t hide our thoughts as much. We don’t hide behind being cordial. We don’t let our feelings fester. That makes us more real...less fake.

And New England cities have the rep of being rude so it also may be a self fulfilling prophecy type thing. It can also be that since he lives here, he may be trying to sound all cool about his environment and what he has to put up with by livin’ in the “big city”. But he could be exaggerating. Remember, this is also an academic city with tons of students. Many of these students are from areas throughout the country and internationally as well. So (depending on where you are in MA) there are plenty of people with Southern hospitality and Midwest friendly attitudes.

I mean all in all, the culture here is not as friendly and welcoming as it is in other places. I personally would like a less guarded atmosphere. But it’s nothing to blow out of proportion or be hesitant about. I mean tons of people live here, we work, we have fun, we live, and we have friends.

I agree with the not overthinking things for your visit. And don’t be hesitant or think that you need to stay out of people’s way. There really isn’t a whole lot of shoving. We’re all just people trying to get by, same as others. And most will give up their subway seat pretty readily to those who need it more.

This is one of the greatest cities to visit IMO and you’ll likely have a great time. Welcome!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:52 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
^ i think that when its -10 ° and 20 '' of snow on the ground you dont have time to shoot the **** with everyone you meet. you just wanna' get where you are going quickly.

whereas in the south they have the luxury of slowing down and being nice.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM

There are many reasons why life is easier and simpler in other places. But the bottom line is that it is harder here, and that shapes peoples’ attitudes and behaviors.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
There are many reasons why life is easier and simpler in other places. But the bottom line is that it is harder here, and that shapes peoples’ attitudes and behaviors.
I agree. Boston can be a tough and competitive place to live/work compared to other cities.

I'm not a sociologist but Boston also has been much tougher place for 'locals' in the not so distant past and it still persists although to a much lesser extent. In neighborhoods like South Boston, Charlestown, North End, East Boston (now all largely gentrified to varying degrees less so East Boston) and in the tougher neighborhoods - large parts of Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, etc survival meant keeping to yourself and minding your own business. The cliche that if somebody gets killed in Charlestown during the day on a busy street "nobody sees nothing" unfortunately has/had a strong ring of truth to it. Also, let's face it, Boston's race relations historically have not been a picnic with a history of distrust between races and to a lesser extent among different ethnic groups (Irish, Italians, etc).

So to survive, Bostonians traditionally had to be 'tribal' - warm and close with people they know and trust but wary of people they don't. Even in some now gentrified areas, 'old rules' for remaining locals ("townies") can still persist.

Of course, the OP doesn't need to worry about any of this and the city has changed significantly but just explaining that Boston's history has at least something to do with why Bostonians can come across as cold.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 8,252 times
avoid Roxbury and Dorchester.
Google boston crime map.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:47 PM

16 posts, read 17,391 times
Boston is ground zero for MA heroin epidemic, not a great place to wander around not knowing where you are or what is going on.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsiclestick View Post
Boston is ground zero for MA heroin epidemic, not a great place to wander around not knowing where you are or what is going on.
not exactly it's a pretty big problem throughout the state. to my knowledge the per capita users or per capita OD is no higher in Boston than most of the state's other cities

Old 04-21-2015, 06:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I agree. Boston can be a tough and competitive place to live/work compared to other cities.

I'm not a sociologist but Boston also has been much tougher place for 'locals' in the not so distant past and it still persists although to a much lesser extent. In neighborhoods like South Boston, Charlestown, North End, East Boston (now all largely gentrified to varying degrees less so East Boston) and in the tougher neighborhoods - large parts of Roxbury, Mattapan, Dorchester, etc survival meant keeping to yourself and minding your own business. The cliche that if somebody gets killed in Charlestown during the day on a busy street "nobody sees nothing" unfortunately has/had a strong ring of truth to it. Also, let's face it, Boston's race relations historically have not been a picnic with a history of distrust between races and to a lesser extent among different ethnic groups (Irish, Italians, etc).

So to survive, Bostonians traditionally had to be 'tribal' - warm and close with people they know and trust but wary of people they don't. Even in some now gentrified areas, 'old rules' for remaining locals ("townies") can still persist.

Of course, the OP doesn't need to worry about any of this and the city has changed significantly but just explaining that Boston's history has at least something to do with why Bostonians can come across as cold.
Is there anything in your post that isn't also true in any number of other cities? Nothing you said is unique to Boston. Everything you mentioned can be found in NY, Philly, Baltimore, Chicago, st Louis, Milwaukee, etc,etc.

NY, LA, and SF are equal or more expensive than Boston, with equal or more stressful commutes. Yet none of the jerk reputation that Boston has. Other cities have histories of ethnic strife. Go to the Chicago board and see how people are struggling with high property taxes even in towns with bad schools.

It's hard out here everywhere. Boston has no unique chokehold on economic stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston