Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM

3,373 posts, read 2,904,986 times

Advertisements

Hey, don't let people scare you. Boston is a fine city, perfectly safe everywhere during the day. Don't look easy target, don't carry valuables, take cover if you hear some gunshots (oups

Interesting places of Boston are around downtown (take a tour there), Cambridge, Brookline. There are more interesting places there, but stay in the area if you don't have a car.

At night... Stay in well-lit bars, take taxi to get home. Even downtown and public park are filled at night with interesting people. They aren't violent though, mostly.

I mean, you really need to look for trouble to get into any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 4,849,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
If I were you I'd actually avoid going to "the authentic areas" since you were asking which neighborhoods were dangerous.

Boston is a city where most middle class people live outside city limits. There is a small affluent population in the city itself (tourist Boston) and a much larger lower class population outside the areas a tourist would normally go to. Chances are you'd probably be fine, but I'm not sure you'd be impressed with what you see.
Overstatement, Dm. First, OP doesn't care about city limits: Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Braintree, Arlington, etc., would all be 'Boston' to someone from El Paso. "Authentic areas" are in all of these. Second, the city of Boston is full of middle class and working class neighborhoods. Sure there are some dangerous, run down areas with very poor people but there are many middle class neighborhoods within city limits which he could visit with little risk, if he wanted to do that. He indicates an interest in family suburban neighborhoods, which are of course mainly outside city limits but areas like Roslindale and West Roxbury are full of families, easy to get to and observe, comparatively suburban, and are no more dangerous than anywhere else. No malls, however. For that you need to go farther.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,707,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Overstatement, Dm. First, OP doesn't care about city limits: Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Braintree, Arlington, etc., would all be 'Boston' to someone from El Paso. "Authentic areas" are in all of these. Second, the city of Boston is full of middle class and working class neighborhoods. Sure there are some dangerous, run down areas with very poor people but there are many middle class neighborhoods within city limits which he could visit with little risk, if he wanted to do that. He indicates an interest in family suburban neighborhoods, which are of course mainly outside city limits but areas like Roslindale and West Roxbury are full of families, easy to get to and observe, comparatively suburban, and are no more dangerous than anywhere else. No malls, however. For that you need to go farther.
Perhaps. However it is easy for someone who is unfamiliar with the area to find themselves in the less desirable areas without trying too hard if they're just picking bus routes at random. With a car you can extricate yourself from a bad situation quickly. Waiting for a bus that might run once an hour isn't ideal.

Again, it's all about personal comfort levels. To the vast majority of people who regularly post to these forums, nothing about Boston is dangerous because we know what areas to avoid.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,817,714 times
I am so confused by what the OP is after. I am going to assume he wants to know what a "real" Bostonian life is like.

Well, first, I don't know if there is such a thing as a "real Bostonian". But if my assumption is correct then OP, stay in a place like Burlington (I don't get the mall obsession but they have one!), wake up, have breakfast, rush around and get your kids ready, run out of the place and try to be on time for the commuter rail, pay for parking or have someone drop you off, take that into Boston and then switch to a subway line, look for something stressful to do for about 8hrs, rush back to the subway and take it to either North or South station (whichever has the commuter rail train you need) and hope the train is running and on time and take that back to your hotel, change from your work clothes and do some dishes or laundry or go grocery shopping, then do homework with the kids and put them to bed. Then do that all over again in different parts of MA (do it from the burbs where you need to either drive or take the train and do it from the city where you either can walk, bike, or take the subway or bus). And mix it up by driving in too rather than the commuter rail. Oh, and spend a ton of money on things you need for everyday life. And don't forget to complain about the weather and don't make eye contact with anyone on the train. And make sure to wear or do something that indicates your love of any of the Boston sports teams.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:11 PM

200 posts, read 394,010 times
I have no idea how big city life is like. El Paso is a medium sized city with a small town attitude. People here act like El Paso is the size of Lubbock or Amarillo. I would say Phoenix people are the same in their suburbs, which also somewhat gives Phoenix the small town vibe too. Every time I go, I always notice the same people working in the stores in Phoenix and people knowing each other from their suburb. Now Boston gives out a mega city vibe, which is what I want to experience. I have a feeling Boston life is a lot different from even Phoenix life. I've only been to Boston once in 2011 and never really went out of the touristy areas. I really want to see how it looks outside the touristy areas. I also have a feeling food and stuff might even be cheaper outside those areas too. I'm visiting my friend in Boston, but I'll be with him at nights and I will be solo during the day.

Also, my friend told me Bostonians are very rude. What do you guys from Boston think about what he said? He told me that El Pasoans are much friendlier and care more about you than Boston people. He told me that people don't hold doors and no one cares about you in Boston. He even told me once on the Subway, this girl wanted to get through and that there was no space, so she kicked him. I'm worried that might happen to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,707,681 times
Boston really isn't that big however the metro area is heavily populated so compared to much of the country, yes Boston is big.

Life in the suburbs is no more exciting than it is anywhere else in the country. Also, things in the suburbs are a little cheaper but not enough to make a huge difference. I understand the appeal of exploring while you have all this free time. Just understand mass transit in the suburbs is almost non-existent and there's little worth seeing when you get off the train in most cases.

Neighborhoods off the beaten path in the urban core are usually off the beaten path for a reason. Someone who is afraid of getting kicked on the subway shouldn't go to those neighborhoods because an outsider who looks scared and/or out of place is an easy target.

Yes, people are generally pretty rude. However as long as you mind your own business no one should bother you. On the subway you probably will get pushed and shoved during rush hour if people are trying to squeeze into the train and they think you're in the way or if they're trying to exit the train and you're in the way.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM

200 posts, read 394,010 times
They are not as nice as in El Paso. No one pushes or shoves here. Well, I have to get ready then for the big city feel. I'm sure in typical big cities in the NE, people do these kinds of these things because of the big city mentality, always being in a hurry. I have a feeling it's a lot more in NYC. Not sure about DC, but it could be less because it seems like a friendlier city.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
They are not as nice as in El Paso. No one pushes or shoves here. Well, I have to get ready then for the big city feel. I'm sure in typical big cities in the NE, people do these kinds of these things because of the big city mentality, always being in a hurry. I have a feeling it's a lot more in NYC. Not sure about DC, but it could be less because it seems like a friendlier city.
If you're worried about rudeness on the T, don't take it. I go to Boston 3-4 times a year and have only ridden the T a couple times. You can easily walk anywhere you want to go in Boston.

And FWIW, you're over thinking your visit to Boston and making yourself more anxious than need be. Go with a positive attitude and you'll enjoy your visit!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,589,435 times
i dont think people in boston are rude... just that they dont get into small-talk as much as in other places i've been.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,050,620 times
I've actually found tourists to be the rude ones pushing and shoving on the subway. These are the rules: when the train arrives, you step to the side and let people off before you get on. If I had a dollar every time I've seen someone carrying a box from Mike's Pastrys pushing on the car, I'd be rich.

OP, the cliche that people are "rude" gets really old. What does your friend mean that no one "cares"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston