Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times

Advertisements

I read that some reverend watched the video and could attest the cop did nothing wrong. the cop sounds like an amazing guy....we need more cops like him. I actually feel proud that there is a cop like him on the bpd (former army ranger/lieutenant) people will try to find bad things to say about this officer but I think they'll have a tough time finding anything. Obama even called the guy a hero, lol...he'd given him an award at the white house before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I read that some reverend watched the video and could attest the cop did nothing wrong. the cop sounds like an amazing guy....we need more cops like him. I actually feel proud that there is a cop like him on the bpd (former army ranger/lieutenant) people will try to find bad things to say about this officer but I think they'll have a tough time finding anything. Obama even called the guy a hero, lol...he'd given him an award at the white house before
He is quite the hero. He risked himself and charged out under heavy gunfire and rescued a down officer in Watertown when the Boston Bombers were unloading their arsenal. I listened to the gunfire live on police scanner. It was unbelievable. Those guys were armed to the teeth, out for blood, and happy to die. Officer Moynihan was face to face with him vitually by himself in the dark back streets of Watertown.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...oting-mit.html

Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM

Default re

Stand up guy. He probably has seen more action on Boston as a cop than he did in Iraq as an army ranger! Really scary direction this country is headed in. Homegrown terrorists. Oh but they have civil rights...so police are supposed to cower and just let them be who they are...lol.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I have a friend who lives down the street from where this happened. He said he sees this police officer regularly & he's a stand up dude. Always fair & respectful.

I wonder if his past in Iraq & the episode in Watertown contributed to this. This is just a theory, but I wonder if people who have seen & dealt with very serious things like war or an intense shootout are less likely to be the stereotypical "bad cop" who hassle people on the street for minor offenses, or try to throw their weight around because they're in charge.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I have a friend who lives down the street from where this happened. He said he sees this police officer regularly & he's a stand up dude. Always fair & respectful.

I wonder if his past in Iraq & the episode in Watertown contributed to this. This is just a theory, but I wonder if people who have seen & dealt with very serious things like war or an intense shootout are less likely to be the stereotypical "bad cop" who hassle people on the street for minor offenses, or try to throw their weight around because they're in charge.
Most cops aren't bad cops. I think he is closer to the typical cop than most would like to admit.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Well there are plenty of cops in boston as well who would not be the type of cop Moynihan is in. Many cops are happy to be patrolmen and stay that way and just put in their OT and collect a nice paycheck. It doesnt mean these police officers are bad people by any means, if anything they dont want to deal with anything they dont have to. So maybe lazy isnt the word i'm looking for-basically this type of cop just does their job.

Moynihan is a guy who goes the extra mile. Getting into one of these specialized units is a promotion. They dont take just anyone, you have to have a pretty stellar record and be recommended.

'the stereotypical "bad cop" who hassle people on the street for minor offenses, or try to throw their weight around because they're in charge'

it's rare to find cops like these in Boston. Maybe in Ferguson or a town/city where not much goes on. And when you say hassle people for minor offenses what are you talking about. Breaking the law is breaking the law and if a cop witnesses why should he let that person go without a bit of a 'hassle'? sounds like you just want them to turn a blind eye.

Not to mention that there are plenty of things that people DO indeed get away with that no one will ever know about.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 04-02-2015 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: adding line.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:06 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Most cops aren't bad cops. I think he is closer to the typical cop than most would like to admit.
As a person that has lived in many other large cities I must say the BPD comes across as a relatively well run department in comparison to the other city police departments I have come in contact with. Of course this is anecdotal but I have never been harassed or not treated with the utmost respect by the police here.

Honestly based on my prior experiences being constantly profiled (Despite having no criminal record) I find it very difficult to admit this and am somewhat waiting for something negative to happen, but after 7 plus years I may have to accept that this is a well trained department that at least attempts to do things the right way.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As a person that has lived in many other large cities I must say the BPD comes across as a relatively well run department in comparison to the other city police departments I have come in contact with. Of course this is anecdotal but I have never been harassed or not treated with the utmost respect by the police here.

Honestly based on my prior experiences being constantly profiled (Despite having no criminal record) I find it very difficult to admit this and am somewhat waiting for something negative to happen, but after 7 plus years I may have to accept that this is a well trained department that at least attempts to do things the right way.
Personally I think so. I lived through some epic incidents in my 15 years in Boston. Random shootings in Carter playground where pop warner kids were hit. A murder of a basketball coach at Ramsay Park. Both cases were very disturbing to the neighborhood. The Mayor came directly on the scene both times. Cops deployed round the clock surveillance for quite a while. Dan Conley showed up at a Lower Roxbury emergency meeting. Good examples set by leaders. I think the good examples filter down to the ranks. Boston is an educated city - debatably the most educated in the USA save perhaps SF or DC.

Another thing BPD does right and has for a long time - they admit their mistakes. I remember a few occasions where the cops raided the wrong houses on tips. Scared the hell outta the residents. They publicly admitted their mistakes and apologized. Everyone got over it.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
BPD isn't bad. The stories I hear from Black New Englanders in NJ, NY, FL and PA always throw me off.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Isn't bad...what a compliment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston