Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:07 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
BPD isn't bad. The stories I hear from Black New Englanders in NJ, NY, FL and PA always throw me off.
I unfortunately have stories for days, from my University days in NYC. NYPD is another breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,773 times
It surprises me that NYPD is bad...I mean NY is a pretty cutting edge city in my book and you'd think they'd really be on top of things? What exactly do they do bad?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I unfortunately have stories for days, from my University days in NYC. NYPD is another breed.
i feel like with sean bell, amadou diallo, abner louima, ... nypd is like the new lapd.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:14 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
It surprises me that NYPD is bad...I mean NY is a pretty cutting edge city in my book and you'd think they'd really be on top of things? What exactly do they do bad?
NYC has a lot of unnecessary ordinances I'd say. I hear way worse things about NJ State Police but I remember one situation in NYC.

Me and a couple of friends were on a train going Uptown and a well dressed homeless(?) guy was sleeping on the bench across from us.

Next thing you know, legit like 15 officers walk onto the train and surround him. I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the train just for him, but none the less; they were there. All of a sudden one or two of them start trying to wake him up with their Batons of course. Poke Poke Poke.

Guy doesn't wake up so they roll him over and start using language I probably can't write because it'll be censored. Eventually they (two at the head, two at the feet) roll him onto the floor and the guy wakes up. He was definitely hung over and the cops continue to berate him. Meanwhile me and my friends are just sitting there wide eyed, wondering wtf. The other people on the train seemed completely oblivious. Just run of the mill. They ended up kicking him off the train stating "This isn't your living room, *****". Guy looked lost the entire time lol

Now, I can understand why they did it. But NYPD is very aggressive, kind of rude and they move in packs.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Boston cop walking the beat in Mattapan, Dorchester, Downtown, Hyde Park or anywhere.

And this is just a harmless "removal" story. DWB is an issue in the Mid-Atlantic (Especially on the NJ Turnpike).

Last edited by MassNative2891; 04-03-2015 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add what happend to the guy

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

'I can't remember the last time I saw a Boston cop walking the beat in Mattapan, Dorchester, Downtown, Hyde Park or anywhere. '

No it doesn't happen and I don't know why. My friend who is a cop, when he was new he did the beat on newbury st of all places. But i guess there are a lot of robberies there and in that area.

'Next thing you know, legit like 15 officers walk onto the train and surround him. I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the train just for him, but none the less; they were there. All of a sudden one or two of them start trying to wake him up with their Batons of course. Poke Poke Poke.'

Sounds weird. I guess i'm the type of person who likes to think there is a reason for this type of behavior by the police. 9/11? Maybe they just dont put up with sh*t at all from anyone?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 AM

728 posts, read 974,133 times
Quote:
Sounds weird. I guess i'm the type of person who likes to think there is a reason for this type of behavior by the police. 9/11? Maybe they just dont put up with sh*t at all from anyone?
Both. Policing in NYC has been very different since 9/11. Couple that with the fact that NYC historically had a high crime rate and you've got a recipe for over-policing.

NYPD officers also aren't as receptive to questions as BPD cops, meaning they aren't "Civil Servants" in the sense that a Boston Cop might be. I have made request of BPD and MA Staties that people in NYC might find ridiculous. NYPD won't even give you a chance to talk to them.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
NYC has a lot of unnecessary ordinances I'd say. I hear way worse things about NJ State Police but I remember one situation in NYC.

Me and a couple of friends were on a train going Uptown and a well dressed homeless(?) guy was sleeping on the bench across from us.

Next thing you know, legit like 15 officers walk onto the train and surround him. I'm pretty sure they didn't get on the train just for him, but none the less; they were there. All of a sudden one or two of them start trying to wake him up with their Batons of course. Poke Poke Poke.

Guy doesn't wake up so they roll him over and start using language I probably can't write because it'll be censored. Eventually they (two at the head, two at the feet) roll him onto the floor and the guy wakes up. He was definitely hung over and the cops continue to berate him. Meanwhile me and my friends are just sitting there wide eyed, wondering wtf. The other people on the train seemed completely oblivious. Just run of the mill. They ended up kicking him off the train stating "This isn't your living room, *****". Guy looked lost the entire time lol

Now, I can understand why they did it. But NYPD is very aggressive, kind of rude and they move in packs.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Boston cop walking the beat in Mattapan, Dorchester, Downtown, Hyde Park or anywhere.

And this is just a harmless "removal" story. DWB is an issue in the Mid-Atlantic (Especially on the NJ Turnpike).
Why do you think it's ok for a bum, or anyone else to be so drunk as to get blacked-out on public trains? I would be happy that the police is keeping things orderly, and drunken stupor in a public domain is not acceptable. Drunks can also hurt the innocent public with their outbursts and whatever. Sorry, but if the guy could not be roused with a series of pokes, then he needs to be jolted awake and forced on his way. The train indeed is NOT his private living room.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:15 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why do you think it's ok for a bum, or anyone else to be so drunk as to get blacked-out on public trains? I would be happy that the police is keeping things orderly, and drunken stupor in a public domain is not acceptable. Drunks can also hurt the innocent public with their outbursts and whatever. Sorry, but if the guy could not be roused with a series of pokes, then he needs to be jolted awake and forced on his way. The train indeed is NOT his private living room.

Just curious. Where should they go if they don't have a home/apartment?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM

Default re

'Just curious. Where should they go if they don't have a home/apartment?'

A shelter

Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
A shelter

Not always an option. Boston lost a ton, 400 actually, bed spaces this winter. Not all replaced, and even when those 400 were available it wasn't enough.

And the shelters often kick people out during the day and let them return at night.

(PS: Using the actual quote button is easy, and is helpful)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston