Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
First, Boston is a very nice place for a 24 year old woman. You'll love it. It's packed with girls your age.

I have attended a few community colleges in Boston and researched many. I was not impressed with Bunker Hill and Roxbury CC is worse. North Shore CC is pretty good and so is the one out west and on the cape (forgot their names). I recommend you check out North Shore CC. It's right on the commuter rail so easily accessible.

Boston is a very safe and swanky city. No problems there. As far as cost, well you'll just probably need to get a roommate. Good news is that is very easy at your age as there are hundreds of thousands of students and recent grads in exactly the same situation as you - young, just getting started and don't have $1000 per month for a shoebox apt
Your statement that Boston is very safe and swanky is deceptive. There are definitely bad neighborhoods and much of Boston proper has a very drab appearance.

It's very easy for someone who is budget minded to find themselves living in the worst neighborhoods in the city because they saw it was cheaper than the other listings they saw.

Don't sign a lease without seeing the apartment first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Your statement that Boston is very safe and swanky is deceptive. There are definitely bad neighborhoods and much of Boston proper has a very drab appearance.

It's very easy for someone who is budget minded to find themselves living in the worst neighborhoods in the city because they saw it was cheaper than the other listings they saw.

Don't sign a lease without seeing the apartment first.
Chances are she'll have enough common sense to not live on Humboldt St. That said, there is nothing deceptive about saying Boston is safe. I lived there for 15 years - 7 in Lower Rox - no major problems. And I've traveled widely enough to know Boston is definitely safe and swanky compared to many other places. It's one of the great cities of the world, though underestimated.

Assuming the OP does her research and doesn't sign a lease over the internet site unseen, she she do just fabulously. Prolly end up sharing an apt in one of the college areas taking the Commuter rail from North station.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 04-01-2015 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:47 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
OP, why Boston?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 24,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺B☺s View Post
First, Boston is a very nice place for a 24 year old woman. You'll love it. It's packed with girls your age.

I have attended a few community colleges in Boston and researched many. I was not impressed with Bunker Hill and Roxbury CC is worse. North Shore CC is pretty good and so is the one out west and on the cape (forgot their names). I recommend you check out North Shore CC. It's right on the commuter rail so easily accessible.

Boston is a very safe and swanky city. No problems there. As far as cost, well you'll just probably need to get a roommate. Good news is that is very easy at your age as there are hundreds of thousands of students and recent grads in exactly the same situation as you - young, just getting started and don't have $1000 per month for a shoebox apt.

I suggest you visit. Click on the link below if you want to see several hundred pix of downtown Boston.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ms-boston.html

Thank you for your reply. I definitely am not moving there FOR community college, I was looking into moving there to settle down and my goal is to finish my degree with the start of community college. I really appreciate your reply and kindness.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
OP, why Boston?

I wasn't set on it. I was just trying to find a place I could call home in the future to settle down.
I love big cities. I have a lot of goals and I have heard great things about Boston from people who have gone to school there, visited, or lived.

I was just wanting some feedback to find out if Boston might meet my (future) needs.

For the record (for the ones saying "you must be on drugs" or something of that nature) I wouldn't move anywhere just to go to community college...community college isn't prestigious anywhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
You move to Boston to go to a community college... Ugh, either you are dreaming or on drugs if you don't have rich family money or a sugar daddy writing you checks.

To assume I am just moving for a 2 year school is pretty negligent and it is definitely none of the above. I have supported myself since I was 17, 100% solely since I was 20. However, I do agree if I was JUST moving for community college I would be a fool. If I was I wouldn't have asked about future employment or the economy.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali51890 View Post
I wasn't set on it. I was just trying to find a place I could call home in the future to settle down.
I love big cities. I have a lot of goals and I have heard great things about Boston from people who have gone to school there, visited, or lived.

I was just wanting some feedback to find out if Boston might meet my (future) needs.

For the record (for the ones saying "you must be on drugs" or something of that nature) I wouldn't move anywhere just to go to community college...community college isn't prestigious anywhere.
Boston could fit your needs quite well. The only issue is affordability, which is something almost everyone in the area grapples with every day. Someone in your situation would probably struggle mightily to pay the bills. I'm not saying that to discourage you. I just want to make sure you understand how different Boston is from what you're used to.

Personally I think what you're trying to do is admirable and things very well may work out if you choose to move here. However, Boston carries great risk for someone in your situation if things don't work out.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Boston could fit your needs quite well. The only issue is affordability, which is something almost everyone in the area grapples with every day. Someone in your situation would probably struggle mightily to pay the bills. I'm not saying that to discourage you. I just want to make sure you understand how different Boston is from what you're used to.

Personally I think what you're trying to do is admirable and things very well may work out if you choose to move here. However, Boston carries great risk for someone in your situation if things don't work out.

Yes, for sure...I mean I am definitely aware it is a 100% change in every way especially financially than where I am from.

I really do appreciate your feedback. The last thing I want is to be homeless...the reason to go to school, even though I am starting back at a community college, is to advance so that I can secure a decent job and be able to financially support myself, and a family one day, comfortably in the city I do choose.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,751 times
I've moved around a lot in my life and there were always the few vocal nay-sayers who (always in the nicest possible way) told me how dumb my plans were, how 'it's expensive there', 'you can't just expect to get a job', 'you need to know people', etc, etc. It's always worked out, including some pretty bold moves. There are many people who never make a move proactively - they either stay in the same place forever or only move if their job moves or whatever. They've never followed a dream.

In addition to my examples for Boston, I've known people who did some moves that seem totally crazy. One in particular seemed to be a total crap shoot. And now they have carved out a life for themselves there which everyone envies. So many people told them how stupid they were and how they'd totally fail. I've also seen a few people 'fail' in making a move. However, I don't consider these failures because in the end, it wasn't really meant to be and they ended up learning from the experience and the next time around was successful. In america you still do get second chances. You're 24 and presumably have no kids - now's the time.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:

All true regarding affordability, and I'll add that it could be quite a culture shock as well. Like a pretty big shock from Alabama.

Regarding making a life however, if the OP has been doing things all on her own, he/she is a survivor. That’s good. But I would be concerned about the type of surviving you would do in order to live here. It’s a rough place to make a living so unless someone is coming here for a good work opportunity or they have family or something, I would skew towards in not being the right place. Realistically, I predict much hardship for someone like you but hey, don’t let me sway you too much OP, there is much to love about this place too. But you’d really have to love it a heck of a lot to put up with some of the hardships you may encounter.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston