Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:34 PM

21 posts, read 24,421 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to relocate and I am trying to find out some more information and facts before I make a decision on where to move.

-Does anyone know anything about the Community Colleges in Boston from personal experience or from living in the area? (Right now, a community college is what is best for me. Although, I would love to finish a bachelors in the future.)

-What is the job market like? I will be a full time student, but also on my own so I would definitely need full time. I would like to move away from my current field-retail IF possible (and definitely after I graduate college.)

-What is the job market like for people with associates degree? Also if I was continue my education with a Bachelors degree. My major is business.

-What is housing like? I would need an apartment, room to rent, just something inexpensive. I would prefer to live alone. I don't mind a studio apartment. I just need something inexpensive because it will just be solely my income.

-Safety. What are some places to avoid? Places that would be safe for a 24 year old woman. (I'm definitely not scared of much and I have common sense, I just don't want to live in the worst part of a city wherever I do move.)

-How is cost of living?

Some background information on me.

-I am 24

-From Mobile, AL

-I have never been to Boston.

-Most of my work experience is retail (currently a of the part time managers of a store), however I have done childcare (2+ years) and data entry.

I would really love to have you respond to this post if you feel like you could enlighten me in any way! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,067,545 times
Cost of living is high. Living on your own on a part-time salary will be very, very difficult. Living with roommates is the norm for people your age/circumstances.

I'd visit and look into schools before making any decisions.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

21 posts, read 24,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Cost of living is high. Living on your own on a part-time salary will be very, very difficult. Living with roommates is the norm for people your age/circumstances.

I'd visit and look into schools before making any decisions.

I would definitely need full time. I am not looking for part time work at all. What is the job market like? How difficult is it to find full time work? I don't particularly want to work retail while in school, but I wouldn't turn it away. I would just need a full time position somewhere.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,722,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali51890 View Post
Hi, I am looking to relocate and I am trying to find out some more information and facts before I make a decision on where to move.

-Does anyone know anything about the Community Colleges in Boston from personal experience or from living in the area? (Right now, a community college is what is best for me. Although, I would love to finish a bachelors in the future.)
They aren't well regarded, especially in a city with some of the nation's top universities.

Quote:
-What is the job market like? I will be a full time student, but also on my own so I would definitely need full time. I would like to move away from my current field-retail IF possible (and definitely after I graduate college.)
Not good without a bachelor's to be honest.

Quote:
-What is the job market like for people with associates degree? Also if I was continue my education with a Bachelors degree. My major is business.
The associates isn't worth much. A bachelor's in business will open up more opportunities.

Quote:
-What is housing like? I would need an apartment, room to rent, just something inexpensive. I would prefer to live alone. I don't mind a studio apartment. I just need something inexpensive because it will just be solely my income.
Boston and inexpensive don't go together. This is a VERY expensive place to live.

Quote:
-Safety. What are some places to avoid? Places that would be safe for a 24 year old woman. (I'm definitely not scared of much and I have common sense, I just don't want to live in the worst part of a city wherever I do move.)
A quick search of this board will give you some insight. I've known many people who were focused solely on housing budget who wound up signing leases in the worst neighborhoods without realizing what they got themselves into.

Quote:
-How is cost of living?
Very high.

Quote:
Some background information on me.

-I am 24

-From Mobile, AL

-I have never been to Boston.

-Most of my work experience is retail (currently a of the part time managers of a store), however I have done childcare (2+ years) and data entry.

I would really love to have you respond to this post if you feel like you could enlighten me in any way! Thanks!
My only question is why Boston?

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,854,110 times
You move to Boston to go to a community college... Ugh, either you are dreaming or on drugs if you don't have rich family money or a sugar daddy writing you checks.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,859,845 times
No one moves here to go to community college. Cost of living is very high and is not possible on a retail salary if you are also going to school full time. 99% of students who come here are supported financially by their parents. Costs are generally in the $40-100k/year range including tuition. For example, here is Bentley University's sample 9 month budget for Masters students. Note it's in Waltham, so cost of living is likely cheaper than a college in Boston or Cambridge. This is only for 9 months of living expenses (2 semesters) and assumes you live in a shared apartment with roommates. You can do the math for your school's tuition.

Tuition (8 courses) $32,520
Activity fee $230
Technology fee $225
Books and supplies $1,898
Health insurance $1,592
Living expenses $13,345
Personal expenses $1,548
Total $51,358

Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,824,727 times
Plenty of people get a start at a community college. I should know, I have an associate's. Unlike many people my age, I have zero school debt and have a very well paying and secure job. There is a transfer program available for certain majors at state schools which offers reduced tuition and guaranteed acceptance if you meet the criteria.

That being said, for the OP I would recommend roommates to cut expenses as you won't make it here on your own.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 PM

133 posts, read 279,002 times
The two community colleges in Boston are Bunker Hill Community College and Roxbury Community College. They are on opposite sides of the city. Look into each school and decide which one you would rather go to, then start your housing search based around those areas.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,599,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx2O11xX View Post
The two community colleges in Boston are Bunker Hill Community College and Roxbury Community College. They are on opposite sides of the city. Look into each school and decide which one you would rather go to, then start your housing search based around those areas.
Don't forget Harvard Extension School which is not really a community college but for many, it serves a similar purpose. I'm rather out of touch these days but there are a million other education programs and paths to follow in Boston. I am always amazed at how common it is for someone to graduate #1 from a good college after transferring in from a CC. Don't be discouraged by those who take a snobby attitude toward what you are considering. Yes, 'traditional' students in Boston are funded 100% by the bank of mommy & daddy and life might be easier for them but plenty of them are goofing off while you seem to have a focused and realistic view of how to move forward. They'll be puking all over allston/brighton while you'll be working to live and get yourself educated.

As others are quick to point out, Boston can be a very challenging place to live due to costs and lots of competition from very intelligent and well educated young people. However, there are also a lot of poor students there so you won't be alone. Tons of people want to / need to share living arrangements (I would plan for this - studios might be out of reach). Lots of activities that cater to poor students. You also can get by nicely without a car, something that you'd need to have or feel very disadvantaged without one in many lower cost locations.

Success or failure with this plan depends a lot on your attitude. I know plenty of people from my younger days who went to boston and made good hay there because they were always talking to people and moving ahead. Always looking to do something better. Some people have a knack for this and others don't. One guy made about $70k/yr as a bartender at a top tier restaurant many years ago (would be like 100+ in today's money) while taking classes. Made loads of connections from customers there. Another started a business putting on huge dance parties and made loads of connections and money while studying. These are just examples and i have many more. You'd be foolish to think that you can waltz into a top bar or restaurant expecting to get a job like that, however, it happens to some people through making connections, working damn hard and a little bit of good luck. These people knew nobody or perhaps one or two when they arrived in their early 20s and were literally sleeping on couches at first.

You can research this but I'd be careful that you might have to live in Massachusetts for some period before you can get in-state tuition. CCs are generally set up to serve the community there are in rather than as 'destination' schools for outsiders - they'll take outsiders but they need to pay more for the privilege.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,515,279 times
First, Boston is a very nice place for a 24 year old woman. You'll love it. It's packed with girls your age.

I have attended a few community colleges in Boston and researched many. I was not impressed with Bunker Hill and Roxbury CC is worse. North Shore CC is pretty good and so is the one out west and on the cape (forgot their names). I recommend you check out North Shore CC. It's right on the commuter rail so easily accessible.

Boston is a very safe and swanky city. No problems there. As far as cost, well you'll just probably need to get a roommate. Good news is that is very easy at your age as there are hundreds of thousands of students and recent grads in exactly the same situation as you - young, just getting started and don't have $1000 per month for a shoebox apt.

I suggest you visit. Click on the link below if you want to see several hundred pix of downtown Boston.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ms-boston.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston