Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 01:47 PM

21,781 posts, read 12,922,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Who in his/her right mind is going to travel from out of state to see anything more than the city center + Cambridge in Boston? It doesn't matter the campaign none wants to see Mattapan, Hyde Park, Brookline or Sommerville.
I have been to Sommerville twice and I lived in Boston for like 10 years lol
People do this in other cities though, regularly. Very regularly.

And regardless, its imperative for the image of the city. Especially as generations become more diverse and culturally sensitive each passing year.

By essentially only having white tourists (which is the case now) you lose out on potentially billions of outside dollars. Not to mention many conventions or festival that generate money (think NBA All-Star Game)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 01:56 PM

12,952 posts, read 22,128,891 times
Quote:
Who in his/her right mind is going to travel from out of state to see anything more than the city center + Cambridge in Boston? It doesn't matter the campaign none wants to see Mattapan, Hyde Park, Brookline or Sommerville.
A lot of travelers make it a point to get "off the beaten path" when they visit new cities. Trying neighborhood restaurant gems, finding unique local neighborhood shops, and getting an idea of how most locals actually live is basically one of the reasons people visit new cities. Not every tourist is limiting their visit to the Freedom Trail, a Duck Tour, and a meal at Dick's Last Resort.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:57 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,352,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People do this in other cities though, regularly. Very regularly.

And regardless, its imperative for the image of the city. Especially as generations become more diverse and culturally sensitive each passing year.

By essentially only having white tourists (which is the case now) you lose out on potentially billions of outside dollars. Not to mention many conventions or festival that generate money (think NBA All-Star Game)
There isn't only white tourists in Boston, there are a lot of Arabs downtown and they are also buying in many luxury apartment.

Anyway, I am just skeptical of these actions, to me they are just "fell good" actions (for the city I mean).
Tourists of colors will also just go to downtown. I mean, a black tourist from Atlanta is going to visit Roxbury or Hyde Park? Why? To do what?

Old 04-05-2021, 01:58 PM

560 posts, read 754,371 times
Quote:
they may end up at Assembly Row or Davis square (after getting lost on their way to Tufts).

Old 04-05-2021, 01:59 PM

23,774 posts, read 18,899,213 times
Not sure I'm catching on here. I's 2021. People aren't "not visiting Boston" "because it's some backwater racist city". I think the lingering real stereotype is that it's an old, stuffy but "charming and historic" city that has good seafood. It successfully lures visitors who seek those things. If it offered an amazing nightlife, a beach scene, or cheap fun getaway to see an NBA or baseball game, then it would attract a broader crowd. But it doesn't.

And no, people are not going to travel thousands of miles to see Hyde Park. Let's be half honest here.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:01 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,352,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A lot of travelers make it a point to get "off the beaten path" when they visit new cities. Trying neighborhood restaurant gems, finding unique local neighborhood shops, and getting an idea of how most locals actually live is basically one of the reasons people visit new cities. Not every tourist is limiting their visit to the Freedom Trail, a Duck Tour, and a meal at Dick's Last Resort.
I do that to an extreme. For instance when I visited New Orleans I was 1hr walking from downtown and I always walked to downtown from my (absolute ****ty) hotel. I have seen plenty of prostitutes, a guy with a gun in his hand and trash everywhere. I didn't mind it at all, but the thing I didn't see was a tourist.
Most tourists off beaten paths are still going to place where there is stuff to do. There is a huge difference between duck tours and coming from CA to visit Mattapan.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
There isn't only white tourists in Boston, there are a lot of Arabs downtown and they are also buying in many luxury apartment.

Anyway, I am just skeptical of these actions, to me they are just "fell good" actions (for the city I mean).
Tourists of colors will also just go to downtown. I mean, a black tourist from Atlanta is going to visit Roxbury or Hyde Park? Why? To do what?
It's really basically whites-only tourist in Boston. Especially if we're talking about domestic tourists. A few Arabs or Asians from elsewhere in the world but.. yea its whites-only for practical verbiage. Anything else is minor and or semantics. The tourism in Boston is overwhelmingly white.

Also maybe you need to click some of these links.

Black people generally already do visit Roxbury- if they leave downtown. Roxbury is the #1 place because many have heard of it, when I say I'm from Boston many black people guess Roxbury (or Dorchester) but black people generally rave about Roxbury, if they have been. There also ALOT to do there. Hyde Park is a tougher sell.

It's definitely a serious endeavor utilizing emergency CARES Act funds and put into motion in November...but I don't know how effective it can be if it's not nationwide in Airports all over the US.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Quote:
I do that to an extreme. For instance when I visited New Orleans I was 1hr walking from downtown and I always walked to downtown from my (absolute ****ty) hotel. I have seen plenty of prostitutes, a guy with a gun in his hand and trash everywhere. I didn't mind it at all, but the thing I didn't see was a tourist.
Most tourists off beaten paths are still going to place where there is stuff to do. There is a huge difference between duck tours and coming from CA to visit Mattapan.
They might make a side trip, incidental to their weekend or week in town. It's not going to be the draw though.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not sure I'm catching on here. I's 2021. People aren't "not visiting Boston" "because it's some backwater racist city". I think the lingering real stereotype is that it's an old, stuffy but "charming and historic" city that has good seafood. It successfully lures visitors who seek those things. If it offered an amazing nightlife, a beach scene, or cheap fun getaway to see an NBA or baseball game, then it would attract a broader crowd. But it doesn't.

And no, people are not going to travel thousands of miles to see Hyde Park. Let's be half honest here.
Most of what you and Lampert are saying is exactly what the campaign is meant to counteract. But what I'm hearing is a (suburban ) Bostonians resistance to change which is a hallmark of the area. In many people's opinion there is a lot to see in Boston and many cuisines outside of Seafood. Basically, you and Lamperts' "conventional wisdom" is precisely what the city is working against.

Their research panel says folks' interests were piqued when they were given more information on Boston neighborhoods off the beaten path. So long as Boston is seen as unwelcoming to 54% of African Americans who visit, by far the highest of 10 major cities- the city should be working on this, actively.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Most of what you and Lampert are saying is exactly what the campaign is meant to counteract. But what I'm hearing is a (suburban ) Bostonians resistance to change which is a hallmark of the area. In many people's opinion there is a lot to see in Boston and many cuisines outside of Seafood. Basically, you and Lamperts' "conventional wisdom" is precisely what the city is working against.

Their research panel says folks' interests were piqued when they were given more information on Boston neighborhoods off the beaten path. So long as Boston is seen as unwelcoming to 54% of African Americans who visit, by far the highest of 10 major cities- the city should be working on this, actively.
So what is it about Roxbury that's going to attract a black tourist from Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston