Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 03:40 PM

21,781 posts, read 12,922,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Boston has enough tourism. Boston has enough people. It's to the point where the damn people who were born and raised here don't even want to go into the city anymore because there are too many people.
Unironically unwelcoming. Contributing to that 54%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 03:57 PM

16,714 posts, read 8,438,003 times
to me hidden gem has nothing to do with racism.

I also don't think it's unwelcoming to not want a city to be swarming with people to the point that there's never anywhere to park, trains are cramped, lines are long. Many people don't want to live this way...if they do maybe they should move to China or India. Again, that is not a racist thing to say, i'm just thinking of areas that are very overpopulated.

Many people in the US have an interesting way of wanting to be open and welcoming to everyone...yet they don't necessarily feel this way about their town, schools or home.

We already have a thread about college acceptance rates because everyone in the world applies to colleges in Boston making many schools out of reach for people. I just see a scary trend. Being welcoming isn't always a good thing.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:04 PM

2,441 posts, read 4,852,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A lot of travelers make it a point to get "off the beaten path" when they visit new cities. Trying neighborhood restaurant gems, finding unique local neighborhood shops, and getting an idea of how most locals actually live is basically one of the reasons people visit new cities. Not every tourist is limiting their visit to the Freedom Trail, a Duck Tour, and a meal at Dick's Last Resort.
It is quite a commonplace for tourists to ask for things not everyone else knows about. The quest for authentic experiences is pretty big. Although the guide books are pretty thorough in listing/describing the one and two star attractions as well as the four and five star ones, a lot of people don't bother to buy or read a guide book; they just go on TA and ask questions. An advertising campaign can affect the kinds of questions people have. Many tourists in their right minds would leave the central area for locations in Somerville, Chelsea, Southie, etc., especially if they had something in planted in mind by a tourism campaign. Where in Boston proper do you find cool things like those in Union Sq, Somerville or Viet places like Fields Corner? Tourists go to Kennedy Library, why not tack on Franklin Park, Blake House, Shirley-Eustis House, Food Project's awesome farms in Roxbury, Arnold Arboretum and Jamaica Pond? If you're here for a week you might enjoy a ride on the Mattapan trolley or take Riverside to Reservoir, visit the waterworks museum, then take the Cleveland Circle line back to Copley Square-- backyard views on one line, front yards on the other. One tourist took the blue line to Revere Beach-- loved it, then did another vlog on the Madonna Queen of the Universe shrine in East Boston. People like all sorts of things especially stitched around visits to ethnic restaurants in "undiscovered" neighborhoods. Tourists who aren't white might enjoy the Newbury Street-Public Garden bubble of privilege more if balanced by visits to less rarified parts of the city. A Hartford-ite recently talked about enjoying walking up Columbus Ave in Lower Roxbury and the South End. A conference or something like that had taken her out that way and she liked seeing these more everyday but interesting locales in addition to the iconic Boston scenes.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
It is quite a commonplace for tourists to ask for things not everyone else knows about. The quest for authentic experiences is pretty big. Although the guide books are pretty thorough in listing/describing the one and two star attractions as well as the four and five star ones, a lot of people don't bother to buy or read a guide book; they just go on TA and ask questions. An advertising campaign can affect the kinds of questions people have. Many tourists in their right minds would leave the central area for locations in Somerville, Chelsea, Southie, etc., especially if they had something in planted in mind by a tourism campaign. Where in Boston proper do you find cool things like those in Union Sq, Somerville or Viet places like Fields Corner? Tourists go to Kennedy Library, why not tack on Franklin Park, Blake House, Shirley-Eustis House, Food Project's awesome farms in Roxbury, Arnold Arboretum and Jamaica Pond? If you're here for a week you might enjoy a ride on the Mattapan trolley or take Riverside to Reservoir, visit the waterworks museum, then take the Cleveland Circle line back to Copley Square-- backyard views on one line, front yards on the other. One tourist took the blue line to Revere Beach-- loved it, then did another vlog on the Madonna Queen of the Universe shrine in East Boston. People like all sorts of things especially stitched around visits to ethnic restaurants in "undiscovered" neighborhoods. Tourists who aren't white might enjoy the Newbury Street-Public Garden bubble of privilege more if balanced by visits to less rarified parts of the city.
You’re making a lot of sense here.

To your last point the Boston NAACP conference was /is being planned with an emphasis on getting visitors out of the Seaport district and into Boston neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
to me hidden gem has nothing to do with racism.

I also don't think it's unwelcoming to not want a city to be swarming with people to the point that there's never anywhere to park, trains are cramped, lines are long. Many people don't want to live this way...if they do maybe they should move to China or India. Again, that is not a racist thing to say, i'm just thinking of areas that are very overpopulated.

Many people in the US have an interesting way of wanting to be open and welcoming to everyone...yet they don't necessarily feel this way about their town, schools or home.

We already have a thread about college acceptance rates because everyone in the world applies to colleges in Boston making many schools out of reach for people. I just see a scary trend. Being welcoming isn't always a good thing.
You not wanting people to come to visit Boston. Is, literally, unwelcoming.

You not wanting Boston to intentionally promote the city-for the first time ever- to racially diverse groups- is unwelcoming, and racist.

This is the definition of unwelcoming and it is reinforcing systemic racism.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:31 PM

6,823 posts, read 6,088,107 times
Quote:
Many people don't want to live this way...if they do maybe they should move to China or India. Again, that is not a racist thing to say, i'm just thinking of areas that are very overpopulated.
We're so far from that. Let's try to get to metro Houston levels of density before we worry about turning into India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You not wanting people to come to visit Boston. Is, literally, unwelcoming.
Lmao.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:54 PM

I didn't say I don't want anyone coming to visit. I just don't think we need to do anymore marketing of Boston to get people to keep coming here.

Why are you so pro having Boston be a mess of people ? You don't even live here right now do you ?

Old 04-05-2021, 05:03 PM

6,823 posts, read 6,088,107 times
Quote:
I didn't say I don't want anyone coming to visit. I just don't think we need to do anymore marketing of Boston to get people to keep coming here.

Why are you so pro having Boston be a mess of people ? You don't even live here right now do you ?
Was that to me? If so, then yes: I guess for the city proper to become a mess of people, then I might be able to be a part of that mess. I'm not living outside of 128 by choice.

But I was reeeeally talking about the suburbs more than the city. Up here on the north-of-Salem North Shore, there's soooooo much open space. The region definitely isn't strapped for space. Again, our MSA is about half as dense as Houston's.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:15 PM

Well that's part of the problem too. Everyone who moves to MA and visits MA want to be in the same area. Overcrowding, overpriced.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:40 PM

Why would I stop caring about my hometown just because I don’t live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston