Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:38 PM

16,824 posts, read 8,518,636 times

Advertisements

As far as tourists go I would imagine that there are frequently black tourists who stay with families/friends in places like Dorchester, hyde park, roxbury, and venture into greater boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 02:39 PM

21,801 posts, read 12,960,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I have a hard time believing people come from all over the US solely to visit a single spot like that (typical masses anyway), nor can I picture that with these Boston equivalents. Those cities are magnets in themselves. Boston is not. It has nothing on NYC, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., N.O. (probably not done yet).

Boston has really not changed all that much in that respect. It's still super expensive, both lodging and dining. It's not warm most of the year. Again, no remarkable nightlife or beach scene. The stuff that appeals to the standard tourists of all races.
Obviously not singularly for that but they're "must-sees" farrrrrrr of the beaten path. They're most popular amongst black people but you will find lines of a pretty racially diverse roup around Bens Chili Bowl, so much so it recently opened a second location after ~60 years of existence. Shot-I know folks who get excited to eat Chop Cheese from an "authentic bodega" in NYC...

Your argument was no one would go off the beaten path and just stay downtown. Now your argument is shifting... towards these places were already "magnets" Boston gets a lot of tourists, just not one who are black/latino/asian americans.

Boston is no more expensive than LA or NYC or even DC. NYC is not warm most of the year. Nor is Chicago

Among African-Americans: How unwelcoming are these cities to people of color?

Boston 54%
Charlotte 38%
Philadelphia 34%
Chicago 34%
San Francisco 34%
New York 28%
Miami 24%
Atlanta 16%

It'd be wishful thinking to think Boston weren't last for Latinos as well. That massive gap between Boston and Charlotte needs to be addressed.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
As far as tourists go I would imagine that there are frequently black tourists who stay with families/friends in places like Dorchester, hyde park, roxbury, and venture into greater boston.
Yea sure, if they have friends and family. Those people tend to have a better report of the city-by a wide margin, in my experience. Most don't have that connection though.

But I think this is a benefit to ALL tourists not just black ones. I dont see it making a huge difference but its important at making the city "feel" more welcoming when people are here.

And for the tourist who finds Boston small or boring (there are many), it might be a real helpful tool

Old 04-05-2021, 02:46 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,071,337 times
Shouldn't a carpetbagger who couldn't get a spot at the local grifter feeding trough be more concerned about the town he's in now and not the town he left? Or are you still hoping for a nice assistant senior executive director of equity and inclusion gig now that maaahty is gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Obviously not singularly for that but they're "must-sees" farrrrrrr of the beaten path. They're most popular amongst black people but you will find lines of a pretty racially diverse roup around Bens Chili Bowl, so much so it recently opened a second location after ~60 years of existence. Shot-I know folks who get excited to eat Chop Cheese from an "authentic bodega" in NYC...

Your argument was no one would go off the beaten path and just stay downtown. Now your argument is shifting... towards these places were already "magnets" Boston gets a lot of tourists, just not one who are black/latino/asian americans.

Boston is no more expensive than LA or NYC or even DC. NYC is not warm most of the year. Nor is Chicago

Boston 54%
Charlotte 38%
Philadelphia 34%
Chicago 34%
San Francisco 34%
New York 28%
Miami 24%
Atlanta 16%

It'd be wishful thinking to think Boston weren't last for Latinos as well. That massive gap between Boston and Charlotte needs to be addressed.

Last edited by bigfatdude; 04-05-2021 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 02:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,355,387 times
Quote:
Black people from all over the US come to DC just to go to Bens Chili Bowl. Black people from all over the US go to Chicago and make sure to at Harold's Chicken.
You think that's the draw? Black people from Lousiana go to Chicago to go to Harold's chicken?
It seems weird to me.

Again, I am not opposed to this thing, I just think is kind of useless.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I dont see it making a huge difference but its important at making the city "feel" more welcoming when people are here.
Ok, I will agree on this.

I guess I am just more extreme on the usefulness but for sure if it helps changing the perception is fine.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:52 PM

16,824 posts, read 8,518,636 times
I'm sorry but this world is getting crazy with so much talk about race. Now we're getting nit picky about diversity in tourism in addition to the people who live here and where they live.

Last edited by msRB311; 04-05-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 02:55 PM

23,809 posts, read 18,963,506 times
Quote:
Your argument was no one would go off the beaten path and just stay downtown.

No it wasn't. I said people aren't coming from Boston from far away FOR these off the beaten path attractions.

Quote:
Boston is no more expensive than LA or NYC or even DC. NYC is not warm most of the year. Nor is Chicago.

But those cities have other appeals to a wider group that Boston does not.

Quote:

Boston 54%
Charlotte 38%
Philadelphia 34%
Chicago 34%
San Francisco 34%
New York 28%
Miami 24%
Atlanta 16%

Source?

Old 04-05-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Again, no remarkable nightlife or beach scene. The stuff that appeals to the standard tourists of all races.
Yeah this is the point.
Boston biggest appeal is American history. A niche thing among every race frankly.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
You think that's the draw? Black people from Lousiana go to Chicago to go to Harold's chicken?
It seems weird to me.

Again, I am not opposed to this thing, I just think is kind of useless.
I dont think- I know. You dont know. Yes in some city's black establishments are actually lauded. Crazy concept.

Harolds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYOdzBpb3RU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYX25_PI848

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfeFcvmnh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RlEir8Nbfk

Bens Chili Bowl:

Phantom Gourmet even went here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TxuMP74Rnc

and Anthony Bourdain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3rowyK5CU

this man travelled 677 miles just to go there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZaIOA_1tT8

Heres an example of such a thing in NYC, famed chop cheese bodega sandwiches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gu0v2ITeYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GheOOc3fmTc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston