Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,400,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
I never understood why most boxers don't steal Mayweather's fighting style?

Seems less exhausting than being a swarmer, and you don't take a ton of punishment. Sure, you could fall behind on points, but I doubt you would get KO'd very often.
That's all fine and good. And it is a true talent to make your opponent miss while you counter and land. But, as a Boxing fan, I prefer to pay to see two guys in the ring leaving their all for the fans. I'll take a Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Iran Barkley, Arturo Gatti (RIP), Felix Trinidad, GGG, Canelo Alvarez, any day over a Mayweather. As a result, I stopped paying for Mayweather fights some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 05:50 AM

145 posts, read 160,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
That's all fine and good. And it is a true talent to make your opponent miss while you counter and land. But, as a Boxing fan, I prefer to pay to see two guys in the ring leaving their all for the fans. I'll take a Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran, Iran Barkley, Arturo Gatti (RIP), Felix Trinidad, GGG, Canelo Alvarez, any day over a Mayweather. As a result, I stopped paying for Mayweather fights some time ago.
So do I, just don't get why a professional boxer would want to emulate that style when that boxer can take the much safer Floyd route and fight defensively. It's not like judges penalize boxers for lack of aggression anymore.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:42 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
I never understood why most boxers don't steal Mayweather's fighting style?
It's not "Mayweather's" fighting style and the way he fights is nothing new. African American fighters throughout the history of boxing have often been described as "slick" and much of the boxing mainstream has historically hated them. Robert Duran's infamous "No Mas!" moment was a result of facing a guy who was apparently too "slick" for him.

Hopkins on boxing and black fighters - Ring TV

Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ_mzW5Teng

Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not "Mayweather's" fighting style and the way he fights is nothing new. African American fighters throughout the history of boxing have often been described as "slick" and much of the boxing mainstream has historically hated them. Robert Duran's infamous "No Mas!" moment was a result of facing a guy who was apparently too "slick" for him.

Hopkins on boxing and black fighters - Ring TV
First off, I highly doubt Hopkins statement that a Mexican fighter can't fight like Floyd. In fact, it's pretty laughable considering everything in boxing can be taught except for punching power.

So, it's probably Duran's style and Canelo's style that can't be taught if anything.

Last, the fitness needed to execute Duran's style of boxing is way greater than fitness needed to execute the "African-American style" as you call it.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
First off, I highly doubt Hopkins statement that a Mexican fighter can't fight like Floyd. In fact, it's pretty laughable considering everything in boxing can be taught except for punching power.
Well, that's not what he said. He said "it's a statement about culture, not race." The point he was making was that Danny Garcia trains in Philly with a lot of guys who are able to mimic Mayweather's style. So Danny, in his opinion, wouldn't be as flustered by it (which I DO NOT agree with).

Boxing is a sport of styles, and it is true that fighters of different cultures tend to fight differently, though there are exceptions to the general trend. Willie Pep was Italian and is considered one of the "slickest" fighters in boxing history. Joe Frazier was obviously Black and stalked his prey from corner to corner while delivering devastating blows. Juan Manuel Marquez is Mexican but doesn't fight much like your stereotypical, come forward, Mexican pressure fighter. But generally speaking, boxing in the African American and Hispanic communities is approached differently.

Quote:
Last, the fitness needed to execute Duran's style of boxing is way greater than fitness needed to execute the "African-American style" as you call it.
Says the guy who doesn't seem to know anything about boxing.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 PM

And it also true that Black fighters often get accused of "running." This is the case even when they are clearly punishing their opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHcEQbvd8k8

Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 PM

And most of the people who are always whining about Mayweather "running" haven't watched his earlier fights. He fights more conservatively now because he's technically over the Hill. That's called smart. He stayed in the pocket a lot more when he was younger. He's definitely the best inside fighter in the sport with the exception of maybe Miguel Cotto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox9zW-EDJPo

Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Says the guy who doesn't seem to know anything about boxing.
Let me guess, you're one of those guys who thinks boxer-punchers are boring, and throwing 20 punches a round is acceptable?

All I said was in this day and age, when judges don't penalize fighters for lack of aggression, I'm amazed that kids grow up emulating guys like Duran and Pacquio. The style is so much more difficult to execute.

Most people could learn to fight defensively. As someone who has sparred before, throwing anything over 35 punches is devastatingly exhausting.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you're one of those guys who thinks boxer-punchers are boring, and throwing 20 punches a round is acceptable?
Let me guess, you're one of those guys who's not into boxing. It's okay. I'm not into MMA. But the difference is I don't go into that forum posting like I'm some BJJ expert.

I didn't say any style was better/worse or any more boring/entertaining than any other. I said that Mayweather's style is common among several African American fighters, he's just the best at that particular style.

Quote:
All I said was in this day and age, when judges don't penalize fighters for lack of aggression, I'm amazed that kids grow up emulating guys like Duran and Pacquio. The style is so much more difficult to execute.
All you said? You mean excluding your tangential rant in response to the Hopkins video I posted?

Quote:
Most people could learn to fight defensively. As someone who has sparred before, throwing anything over 35 punches is devastatingly exhausting.
"As someone who has sparred before." LOL. You say that like it's something special. As if any kid going to the Marian Anderson Rec center won't have sparred hundreds of rounds by the 11th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing