Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 02:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times

Advertisements

No loss. Most really don't care. He's just a big showboat. Great Athlete. So what? Lots of great athletes in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 03:02 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,397,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
No loss. Most really don't care. He's just a big showboat. Great Athlete. So what? Lots of great athletes in the world.
He certainly is NOT a big showboat. He is considered one of the greatest athletes of all time. Most people do care. You probably gave Ali no respect.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:11 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times
I wonder if Ali would be universally praised by the media if he made comments like this as a white person:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igBFwS483Qk

'The white man is the devil'

He would probably be the modern day George Zimmerman regardless of athletic ability.

No athletes would DARE to come out and say he was an inspiration and all the other love-fest crap they're spewing on ESPN. It would be like a politician coming out and saying he or she has always admired and looked up to David Duke.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,397,838 times
I grew up watching the 'Friday Night Fights' on tv and I was in Golden Gloves when Cassius Clay burst onto the scene. My friends and I watched all his fights and his back and forth with Howard Cosell. We loved it!! We would try to imitate his sayings. RIP champ.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,228,960 times
Quote:
Why post if you have no idea what the discussion is about, or the history of this mans life.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,820,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
No nowadays athlete will do the things he did or say the things he said back then. He didn't care about monetary endorsements, he cared about endorsing black pride and squashing racism & imperialism in his home country.
In the 1960s, Ali was a dupe of the Nation of Islam and the white left. He was cruel to black boxers who didn't agree with his radicalism.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times
RIP.

Ali was an important athlete in the history of American sports, along with Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
Condemn me all you want, but I read the news after he won the first Liston fight. I'm old enough to have watch his whole career. I thought he was an arrogant ass.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:25 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,228,960 times
Quote:
Condemn me all you want, but I read the news after he won the first Liston fight. I'm old enough to have watch his whole career. I thought he was an arrogant ass.
That's likely nothing that has not been said about any and every black person who ever stood up and spoke up and did so as an independent and self motivated person on a large public platform-its the standard commentary by (some) white people anytime any black person who speaks up and speaks out and does not submit to the old manner of white people expecting black people to just shut up and take the abuse and disregard and negative madness. is has been a typical utterance by (some) whites to quickly consider a black person as arrogant.
We all know, if a white man spoke out and spoke up, white people would hail him as some grand hero above reproach. They had many of such who did not even speak in universal terms or regard all people as valuable and equal, these such white men were wearing "hood", and saying anything and everything negative about not only blacks, but many other non white groups, and they called them Grand Wizards, and Grand Dragons and other such names of which many whites rallied behind such ones.

You don't have to give Ali, any accolades, he understood whom he was and spoke up as himself. Nothing you can say, will ever in the history of life change that fact. So, by all means, call it what ever turns you on.

It's certainly not likely you nor I will ever achieve what he achieved, and we certainly won't achieve it writing on this limited viewed thread or board.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:43 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,793,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
That's likely nothing that has not been said about any and every black person who ever stood up and spoke up and did so as an independent and self motivated person on a large public platform-its the standard commentary by (some) white people anytime any black person who speaks up and speaks out and does not submit to the old manner of white people expecting black people to just shut up and take the abuse and disregard and negative madness. is has been a typical utterance by (some) whites to quickly consider a black person as arrogant.
We all know, if a white man spoke out and spoke up, white people would hail him as some grand hero above reproach. They had many of such who did not even speak in universal terms or regard all people as valuable and equal, these such white men were wearing "hood", and saying anything and everything negative about not only blacks, but many other non white groups, and they called them Grand Wizards, and Grand Dragons and other such names of which many whites rallied behind such ones.

You don't have to give Ali, any accolades, he understood whom he was and spoke up as himself. Nothing you can say, will ever in the history of life change that fact. So, by all means, call it what ever turns you on.

It's certainly not likely you nor I will ever achieve what he achieved, and we certainly won't achieve it writing on this limited viewed thread or board.
I don't think you know much of his history either, aside from the rhetoric. Ali spoke at KKK clan rallies, and after his boxing license was pulled for dodging the draft it was Frazier who helped him during those three years in exile. How did he repay him? By calling him an uncle Tom, a gorilla, and other humiliating names. He persuaded black Americans to turn on him and he was a very divisive figure, not a man who brought unity to the world. He was a pawn for the Nation of Islam.

Ali was overrated as a fighter. While I was never a fan of Ali, I respected his willingness to fight everyone, even beyond his prime. However, when I take inventory of his career, I am and always will be convinced his two fights with Liston were fixed and had Liston been allowed to win, he would have. Ali was going to revive the sport and make money for a lot of people for a long time, Liston wasn't marketable.

Ali also had several gift decisions that went in his favor. The Norton rematches, rematch with Chuvalo, Jimmy Young, and some would argue Doug Jones. Then there was the sliced glove fiasco when he was rocked by Cooper.

Fans also forget that Ali was typically the bigger man in the ring, at 6'3 almost 220. He towered over smaller HW such as an old Patterson, Frazier, Chuvalo, Blin, Mathis, Quarry, washed up Moore, Bonavena, Cooper, Lubbers and Coopman.

His fighting style was very flawed...fighting with hands at side, leaning back away from punches, rarely going to the body, but because of his speed against lumbering HWs he got away with it. P4P if he were a welterweight fighting with that style he would have been crushed against faster opponents.

Many of the HWs of the 70s were overrated and got their name for being in the ring with him. There was nothing special about Lyle, Norton, Spinks, Wepner, or Young and many of the other lesser known opponents he faced.

Ali coined himself the greatest and with the help of Cosell the casual fans of that era the self-anointed moniker stuck. So an entire generation of Americans identified him as the greatest. Great marketing and savvy media sensationalism. He had heart, one of the best chins in boxing and great footwork. Not the greatest HW of all time and definitely not the greatest fighter of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing