Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:12 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times

Advertisements

Not a big boxing person but upon a little research here's a few little things I see:

- beat 46 yo Archie Moore

- Essentially knocked out and lost to Henry Cooper. Cooper said he added lead to his boots for the weigh-in - really weighed about 179lbs!! On the knock out punch Ali's arm caught the ropes and prevented his head from hitting the ring floor made of boards (which would've hurt him even more). There were also several rule violations - Dundee guiding Ali back to the corner, he illegally used smelling salts to revive Ali (only water was allowed under British rules) and he cut Ali's gloves in order to stall so he could get a new one. The fight was eventually stopped due to a cut under Cooper's eye. Their second fight was also stopped due to a cut...with Cooper ahead on points.

- Beat Liston twice. Was the mob involved or threats from the Nation of Islam? There's also rumors of poor conditioning, alcohol and drug abuse by Liston. Was Liston washed up by their 2nd fight? And exactly how old was Liston? If he was born in 1930 that would make him 34-35? Is that well past fighting prime in the 60s?

- Beat Chuvalo who appears to have 1 very questionable "big win" on his resume.

- 2-1 against Norton. Norton broke his jaw in the first fight. 2nd fight was a split decision. 3rd fight is apparently one of the most controversial decisions in boxing history. Seems like he could just as easily have been 1-2 against Norton. Some say Norton won all 3 fights.

I guess that leaves a win over Foreman (would Foreman have won a rematch?), two wins over Frasier, one win over Patterson (lost 3 out of 11 fights coming in) and two wins over Quarry (a cruiserweight?). Am I missing any big wins? Which fighters am I severely underrating by not mentioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
RIP to The Greatest. I am glad he is at peace, as it broke my heart to see the champ in the condition he has been in for decades.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:58 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
My hero is gone, and I admit I shed a tear at the news. He was far more than a boxer, and he amused millions outside the ring. He never forgot the loyalty of his British fans during his boxing exile in the late 60s.

He suffered his physical decline with dignity, and without complaint. I will never forget him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing