Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times

Advertisements

Ground is probably still frozen under the mud, otherwise you'd be digging that truck out yet

You might want to invest in one of those snowplow mechanisms that hook to the front of a pickup, depending on how far up the HOA road maintenance comes in winter. I had a neighbour in Bozeman who had one and he kept the road clear for all of us (he lived at the very end of the road, so kinda had to plow the whole road anyway!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,943 times
Update in the news regarding the Clarkston road.

Tuesday the Gallatin County Commission will consider paving about 13 miles.
From the Bozeman Daily Chronicle
"The commission accepted an ad hoc committee's recommendation in January that the county pave the road from Logan Bridge to Crystal Mountain Road near the Clarkston Fire Service Area station, to the tune of $4.8 million. If approved, owners of the 1,200 lots in the district would pay about $374 each year for 20 years to finance the project."
Link to the full article
The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News - County to decide on tax to pave Clarkston Road

Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM

Let's redo that math:

$374/year x 1200 lots x 20 years = $8,976,000

Not including any cost overruns, of course. And I suspect most people are forgetting that this is just for the main road, not for any of the side roads, let alone the back reaches. (Doubtless some realtors are selectively forgetting that!)

However, at least it's being paid for by those who will benefit from it, not by the taxpayers at large.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:59 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
I am still wondering about the goats?
Wouldn't a passing Grizz enjoy a good meal?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 AM

I have an idea about that... Goats will climb, and don't mind being up on high places. I've seen them on barn roofs and up in trees. Grizzlies are not, to my understanding, all that big on climbing.

So: build a pole barn. Lay plywood on the roof so it's not slippery and can take some weight. Add a middling-steep ramp to the roof, with cleats to make it climbable for hoofed critters, and fairly narrow so it's really only attractive to goats. Feed the goats on the roof so they learn to get up there (they can be lured up by feed on the ramp to start with). Now, once they know about that, use a trained herding dog to 'threaten' the goats and purposely drive them up the ramp onto the roof. The object here is to teach the goats to flee to the roof whenever they feel threatened by a predator, and to feel safe so they don't try to jump off and get hurt or eaten anyway.

I'm not sure if this would work, but if you have grizzly or wolf kills on your goats, it sure would be worth a try. Keeping the goats penned up all the time wouldn't do much for keeping the weeds eaten down, so...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM

22 posts, read 197,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Let's redo that math:

$374/year x 1200 lots x 20 years = $8,976,000

Not including any cost overruns, of course. And I suspect most people are forgetting that this is just for the main road, not for any of the side roads, let alone the back reaches. (Doubtless some realtors are selectively forgetting that!)

However, at least it's being paid for by those who will benefit from it, not by the taxpayers at large.

We must have got lucky because our realtor was really honest about how bad the roads are. I really don't mind paying the $374 a year ($31.16 mth) if I have to. That is less than a set of tires so if it saves on wear and tear and makes the commute a little faster I am game.

I had not heard that about goats but I know my husband really wants a pole barn so he will be happy to hear it. You all have been so helpful and I really appreciate it!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,943 times
Here is another update on the Clarkston road decision
The Bozeman Daily Chronicle: News - Gallatin County delays Clarkston Road decision to allow residents more time to combine lots

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM

33 posts, read 79,737 times
Default Clarkston in April

Was in Clarkston ( as it is known ) at Ponderosa Pines just today, picking up an old Genny to spruce up for the ol homestead..

The road is about average for a MT back road, and the land is also about average -I have seen people buy benchland in Whitehall and get worse land.

I'm sure there is goodly winds and snow in the winter tho. Don't know how many ways there are to get into there, but we came in thru Logan ( the main 3-frx overpass is out for rebuilding) and you go thru the Cement plant to get there. I imagine that when the plant is working it might not be a great way to drive =)

Anyway there seem to be lots of people living out there, and everyone we passed by waved at us....

Last edited by Morganpony; 04-17-2010 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganpony View Post
Anyway there seem to be lots of people living out there, and everyone we passed by waved at us....
That's cuz when you're a Montanan, you get a motor installed in your elbow so your hand will always wave properly

Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmelissa32 View Post
We must have got lucky because our realtor was really honest about how bad the roads are.
Who's your realtor? Honest is always good, keeps the customers faithful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman