Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times

Advertisements

Mark, try the Council of Nicea. That was a pretty angry church body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Well I guess my point was that he talks in this book (How to See Yourself as You Really Are) about how he thinks the religious diversity in the world is good, and that it encourages different and interesting worldviews. I personally think religions tend to cause wars and intolerance. I like Buddhism (although its not perfect) because it encourages deep thought, introspection, morals, and karma. Buddhism is only loosely classified as a religion, it is much more of a way to grow spiritually and gain acceptance and tolerance of other people.

And Mark S, I have a big problem with all the Nag Hamadi and Dead Sea Scrolls that seem to very much be trying to preserve the TRUE teachings of a spiritually enlightened one, while it was being rewritten by an angry church body.
Not the religions but the dogma and those who interpret the dogma. Thus the violence in Iraq.
Buddhism on the other hand teaches us to look inward to try to be a better individual. Other religions do also but also have us judge one another either directly or indirectly. I am a novice and don't claim to be a scholar. My wife who is Thai and Buddhist has been coaching me. Buddhism has brought peace to this vets soul this I can attest to.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Mark, try the Council of Nicea. That was a pretty angry church body.
Well, I wasn't there, and unfortunately my time machine is in the shop. But I have read of the Council of Nicaea and they never struck me as particularly angry.

But hey, that isn't the subject of this thread, and I don't want to derail it. I'm very much enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on Buddhism. Carry on....

Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,616 times
Default ***~***

Here's a good link for centers and study
BuddhaNet - Worldwide Buddhist Information and Education Network

Here's a great web-site for anyone interested in learning more.
It's a Sangha or group of Buddhist practitioners who discuss
Buddhism in a forum similar to this one.
E-sangha, Buddhist Forum and Buddhism Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Old 09-24-2009, 04:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Resources have caused (and continue to cause) most wars. Not religion.
When religion mixes with politics resources has little to do with it. Check Irish protestant/Catholic fights and the Shiia/Sunni conflicts as example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Which "angry church body" rewrote what?
That would be the catholic church of the 3rd and 4th century that wrote the supposedly "Holy" Bible.

Old 05-31-2022, 06:50 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Good advice. A lot of people see Buddhism as something mystical and exotic that will instantly transform them into a better person. But as the DL says, Buddhism is probably the most scientifically grounded spiritual tradition there is, and there are no magic spells ... Buddhism holds the keys for wisdom and enlightenment, but it takes discipline and hard work to get there. You have to be dedicated to mindfulness and a meditation practice.

"The purpose of our life is happiness." I agree! I also agree that acquiring material things won't bring us that happiness. You have to find that happiness and contentment within yourself.

I love how he tells people to consider sticking to their own traditions, too. If you were raised in a Judeo-Christian "Creator" mindset, you may find it too hard to change your thought patterns to accept a non-theistic tradition. But he still says you can adopt practices from Buddhism, like meditation, and integrate them into your existing belief system, if it helps to increase your happiness.

It's great! Buddhism is the only religion I can think of where you'd have someone preaching against conversion.
Totally agree. I have come to this conclusion on my own and it is affirming that the Dalai Llama says tge same. I do not believe exploring other religions gives one any deeper appreciation or even the minimum understanding of it. It amounts to recreational time pass at the most benign, and looking for places to take apart a tradition with the least knowledge of it and from a one’s own mind set. Stick to what you know and change your inner self.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:11 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Totally agree. I have come to this conclusion on my own and it is affirming that the Dalai Llama says tge same. I do not believe exploring other religions gives one any deeper appreciation or even the minimum understanding of it. It amounts to recreational time pass at the most benign, and looking for places to take apart a tradition with the least knowledge of it and from a one’s own mind set. Stick to what you know and change your inner self.
Except that doesn't work if you end up not believing in god.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:12 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Except that doesn't work if you end up not believing in god.
Godless people cannot evolve?

Old 06-06-2022, 05:31 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Godless people cannot evolve?
As usual, your response was not what I addressed.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
I heard a guy say once, to truly know your own langue study other langue's.

Sticking with what you know has applications. But it also can hold us back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism