Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,542,373 times

Advertisements

Gonna bump up this old thread.

Back to full timing for the last 3 years. Spent 2 winters in Florida and spent this winter in Texas. Heading to New Mexico tomorrow.

Next few months are all out west. Arizona, Nevada then back to Arizona. I have a reservation for South Padre Island for next December.

Texas is less than half price when compared to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM

19,249 posts, read 16,765,446 times
Interesting thread. I'm curious about those who were posting back in 2011. I'd love to know how things turned out for them. Full-time RV living is becoming quite popular or maybe it always was and I just wasn't paying attention. The number of people posting videos about their adventures on youtube has been fun to watch. A lot of lifelong nomads are there as well, offering ideas and suggestions about making full-time off the grid living a viable and enjoyable reality. Would love to hear more from those doing it but I suspect they don't have time to post here on CD because they're too busy living their adventure.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Interesting thread. I'm curious about those who were posting back in 2011. I'd love to know how things turned out for them. Full-time RV living is becoming quite popular or maybe it always was and I just wasn't paying attention. The number of people posting videos about their adventures on youtube has been fun to watch. A lot of lifelong nomads are there as well, offering ideas and suggestions about making full-time off the grid living a viable and enjoyable reality. Would love to hear more from those doing it but I suspect they don't have time to post here on CD because they're too busy living their adventure.
The op hasnt posted in close to 6 years so unless she gives us an update we'll never know if she realized her fulltime rv experience.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The op hasnt posted in close to 6 years so unless she gives us an update we'll never know if she realized her fulltime rv experience.
You're right and they've probably forgotten all about this site. Still, I can't help be curious about it. It certainly is a different lifestyle but from what I see on the vlogs, people doing it are pretty happy and it's worked for them.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,009,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're right and they've probably forgotten all about this site. Still, I can't help be curious about it. It certainly is a different lifestyle but from what I see on the vlogs, people doing it are pretty happy and it's worked for them.
I'm guessing that since they're selling the dream in order to gain a following and make money from all this, people put on a happy face whether or not they're truly happy. And of course they're going to say it worked for them. They're feeding peoples' escapism fantasies. Who doesn't want to quit their job and live footloose and fancy-free?

YouTube lifestyle videos are about as "real" as "reality TV."

Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
I think camping off the grid would be miserable.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm guessing that since they're selling the dream in order to gain a following and make money from all this, people put on a happy face whether or not they're truly happy. And of course they're going to say it worked for them. They're feeding peoples' escapism fantasies. Who doesn't want to quit their job and live footloose and fancy-free?

I used to think that too until I saw a few people posting about the problems of living that way. It isn't all sunshine and lollipops and I'm happy they don't hide all the pitfalls and problems that occur with living that way. In fact, just the other day, I was watching one young woman's video where she said she didn't think the RV life was for her. She was especially down and emotional about it. But then a week or two later, she was back, apologizing for her meltdown. Just like any of us ... there will be good days and bad days and the people whose videos I watch don't sugar coat that way of life. It's not for everyone.

I could probably do it for two weeks. We used to call it a camping vacation. My idea now of roughing it is waking up without a mint on my pillow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It can be without the right equipment and at least a little bit of knowledge of how to survive. Tent camping is a blast as long as you have a 4-inch foam mattress under your sleeping bag.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,795,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think camping off the grid is heaven.

The more people who think like you, the less competition there is for the best spots.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:46 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,783,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I agree that some people make it sound like a fantasy, but thanks to the internet and being able to work remotely, full time rving and traveling is certainly a legitimate possibility.

As I read the concerns on here about the ups and downs and wild mood changes of full-timers on YouTube, I cant help but think: "that's just like 9-5 life in the burbs!".

Some posts a while back cautioned that RV's are expensive to maintain and the two happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it.
Again, just like a site-built house. At least that's been my experience with houses.
Basically, a time-consuming money pit that I feel like I'm just renting from the bank. A bit better deal than regular rent, but still...

Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,469,160 times
I never understood the costs. Sure there are free spots in the west but some of us don't live in the west. Camp ground hooks ups on a nightly bases are cost prohibitive, not sure how this is financially possible for people living on a budget as most of the full timers are obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing