Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 12:48 PM

2,419 posts, read 1,543,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Camp ground hooks ups on a nightly bases are cost prohibitive, not sure how this is financially possible for people living on a budget as most of the full timers are obviously.
Monthly rates for campgrounds are quite reasonable. We paid $350 for a month in Tombstone, AZ at a CG with a pool. Electric off the meter ran us an additional $90.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 10:46 AM

7,060 posts, read 6,327,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I found a great website for the dreamers: https://www.parkedinparadise.com/
Great info, stepka. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:51 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,327,232 times
I understand this thread is old though I always would like to ask about how such nomad people deal with daily issues. Ie licensing, registration, health care, services and other residency stuff.

I heard South Dakota is easy to register for “nomads” without fixed addresses but others say it’s not the best due to various reasons including weak privacy and higher fees for some circumstances. Offering Montana as another alternative.

Though I would like to find out how much easier is for a nomad to get a drivers license/registration in South Dakota as compared with neighboring NE, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado(I heard this state makes it easiest to renew licenses remotely of all the others, and by law does not put “minor” out of state traffic convictions tattletale by other states on a CO driving record). Some sources say one night at a campsite is enough proof to do it and apply for other state services in South Dakota. Other states somewhat harder. I don’t know about the rest but CO requires two proof of addresses for licensing and registration. I be curious how it works and whether it’s still practical if the “nomads” still owns real estate in multiple different states.

I would not be surprised if such people have licenses, registrations, homes, and other services in different states. I be curious how it works. I heard one would need a domicile state but not everything need to be in the domicile state.

Another thing is that can cable connections which is common in many RV resorts including KOA be used to connect to a cable modem for internet access in other words not just for cable TV channel watching? As cellular data connections and wifi can be unreliable but a cable connection should work better.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 05-25-2021 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-25-2021, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
SD domicile.

https://www.escapees.com/education/d.../south-dakota/
https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-sout...20Rapid%20City!

MT has an entire industry for vehicle registration (no sales tax, no inspections, permanent RV license plates.) But.... MT has A state income tax. . Too much trouble for me.

Many choices, many reasons for each choice. I own properties in several states (income tax free states preferred)

Connectivity in USA stinks compared to most of the world. Cable connection in campground should avail cable modem internet. I have only used a couple commercial campgrounds in 40 yrs of RV travel. I haven't used tv in nearly 50 yrs....For computer....I use... library, Denny's, (stores) Hotspot / booster and hopefully soon.... 'mobile Starlink'. Internationally... SIM and mobile data.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:22 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,327,232 times
Thanks, I be curious as "nomads" are quite a different breed of people and seems to have more flexibility in choosing since they are not fixed domicile like most others. Some may own homes in different states. Others might not have sold their old home yet.
I assume is it not so uncommon for some "nomads" to be "domiciled" in South Dakota(no income tax) but choose to purchase their RVs, vehicles, and toys in Montana and register it there? To take advantage of the benefits mentioned above in Montana? Assuming they spend most of their time away from these two states and are constantly on the move or staying in different properties they own in different states. And/or have a mail forwarding service from both states. As far as I know states only seem to crack down if a domiciled residents' vehicle stays in state for an "extended" period of time while bearing out of state registration. But I be curious whether any other problems may occur.

For some reason western Arizona has very poor internet access at times no matter what carrier one uses or the land carrier as I heard they only have Suddenlink to provide all internet access and cell data. Suddenlink has reputation to underestimate the bandwidth needed to the minimum to cut costs. Apparently the issue is the population size never sits still as they can either be very crowded during holidays and winter but a ghost town during their blazing hot summers.
Though I am glad to hear KOA and other RV full hook up resorts has high speed internet in addition to cable TV with their cable hookups, just need to carry a cable modem.
its true that there is hardly any thing good on TV anymore after the Internet took over.

Though the real concern is health care. One may need health care in any state they land in, in that case whats the best way to make sure the bills don't become overwhelming. I heard that some states benefits and insurance policies do help cover out of state expenses SD may be one of them but I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing