Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM

593 posts, read 1,411,316 times

Advertisements

I'm 33, female, and have nobody else but me and my cat. I've always wanted to live a nomadic life going from place to place and meeting new people, experiencing new things. I've been pretty nomadic my whole life, going back and forth between AZ and CA and not being entirely happy in either place. I like California but it's so expensive and I've gotten tired of the rat race. I used to be a fun quirky gal but California has taken it all out of me and left me angry and depressed. And AZ is too hot and right-wing for my tastes.

So due to recent life circumstances, like brain surgery and losing a job, I'm thinking about just doing what I've always wanted to do and buying a smaller used C Class RV, towing my car behind me and getting out of the southwest. And hopefully on my way from San Diego to Oregon, I find a place I like and settle down.

Will it be fun? Safe? Should I buy a gun too? Is this the best way to go about picking up roots and moving to a new place? Will I meet nice people? Do I need a 2nd person to hook up and unhook my car? Can I resell the RV once I get there? Any tips or reality checks would be helpful, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Reality check 1

Class-C with car in tow will get you 6-8mpg so driving the unit will be expensive,a new Class-C will lose 25% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot and continue to depreciate for the rest of its life.
A used Class-C will need maintenance, may need 6 new tires, probably all fluids and filters will need to be changed, does it leak? do all systems operate correctly?is the unit winterized? What are you going to do for work/money
Camp sites usually charge $15-$50 per night.
Check out RV.net

Much as the RV lifestyle tempts one to an adventurous life style and can be a lot of fun it also can be expensive and can be a pain in the butt if things dont go right.
Think i'd lose the camper idea and look for a nice little cabin in Vermont..
http://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch...l1600l1.6.3l10

Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
How much time do you want to take? Can you afford it?

If you are only planning on traveling up to and around Oregon, I think buying a class C would be expensive.

Maybe a used Class B would be better for you, but you have to get rid of a lot of stuff. This way you can use it for your regular vehicle, the gas mileage is better, and you have your choice of staying anywhere including campgrounds, or motels.

Traveling is great and if you are outgoing you can meet a lot of people. You might want to join a singles group for more like minded people. It can also be lonely on the road.

Good luck to you. Reach for your dreams. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
To get a real feel for daily or weekly costs why not rent a suitable unit for a month and see if you still want to live on the road, it may not give you the total cost as you'd still have to eventually buy a suitable RV and factor in all service and maintenance but it would give you a feel for daily expenses before you make the total commitment .

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Depending on what car you have, I'd look into a light-weight trailer instead of a motorized RV. Less chance of things to go wrong. Like a Forest River Wolfpup or a Chalet Takena (http://www.chaletrv.com/travel.php - broken link) or even a Trailmanor (http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Showroom/BuildRV/Build2619.htm - broken link). There's a lot of towable light-weights now.

If you're in San Diego, there's two or three HUGE RV dealers in the 7000 block of Copley Park Place.

(Not affiliated with any of the above!)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 PM

58 posts, read 150,203 times
Except for our ages, I could be you. Its been my dream to hitch a little Airstream to the back of my truck and live on the road, just me and the cat. My kids are grown, I'm alone and for the past few years have had this very same fantasy...just me and some golden sunrise coming up over the canyon. If I ever got the money for that trailer (and the gas) I would do it.

I agree with jambo in trying it out for a month or so, just to see if its something you would like long term. Its an expensive commitment and you truly have to like being alone for long stretches of time in unfamiliar places.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM

68 posts, read 681,186 times
Next year I plan on doing the exact same thing basically. Except i'll be doing it out of a van or stationwagon.

Seems like having an RV with a car being towed behind it would be a hassle. I'd suggest just getting a really good van instead. Living in a van for a short time is very comfortable, if you are not the materialistic type.

Especially if you're just looking for a place to settle down, and you'll probably only be on the road for a couple months at the most. Seems like overkill to buy a monsterous RV.

In California and Oregon it should be fairly safe. But if you feel unsure about safety just buy yourself a pistol.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
I would suggest a lot of looking before you buy. It all sounds nice ( and I say DO IT!) but the smallness of it all will set in real fast. If your not sure about towing a larger unit, there are company's that will deliver for you.

Go for it girl! Try it for at least a year. See if you like it and keep us posted please... with pictures.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,375 times
Over on the escapees forum, there's a handful of single women who RV full time. They don't seem to be lonely at all, the full timers have all sorts of gatherings and there's all kinds of other people at the parks. It's a lot of learning and expense for a short period of time though.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Do it! You will meet some of the nicest, friendliest people in RV Parks. We met a couple from another state who have become best friends whom we RV with winter and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing