Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Didn't see a basic " chat " thread so I figured id start this one. Share your tips and help others.

We have a 1999 motor home and love it but the wall paper trim was starting to peel and it was driving me nuts. Go figure, it didn't seem to bother hubby at all

I simply got a blow dryer and heated it up and then pull ever so gently and it came off with a little effort. It's just the peel and stick stuff that comes with all trailers so it still left the same looking wall as all over the rest of the inside. LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Mod Note: Great idea!
So, please DO post all of your tips/tricks/advice here for repairing/remodeling campers/motorhomes!
Thread is now permanently stickied to the top of the forum for easy access.
~ BstYet2Be, Moderator ~

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Added mod note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
The best tip I can give is "if" the manufacture is still in business is to check with them, normally there is a custom shop or two close to the factory that works mainly on that brand RV. This shop will normally have all the stain colors, interior fabrics etc that will match whats in your unit now even if it's 10-15 years old. So if you want to update or do some custom work they will be able to supply you with the information and/or products needed if you want to do the work yourself

Old 10-25-2011, 01:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
We have a 1999 motor home and love it but the wall paper trim was starting to peel and it was driving me nuts.
I hope you fixed whatever was behind that bubbling too.

Quote:
I simply got a blow dryer and heated it up and then pull ever so gently and it came off with a little effort.
I ended up covering some uneven walls with indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Glued on with FRP adhesive and notched trowel.

Looks OK and adds an insulation value with it too.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-25-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I hope you fixed whatever was behind that bubbling too.

I ended up covering some uneven walls with indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Glued on with FRP adhesive and notched trowel.

Looks OK and adds an insulation value with it too.
Interesting idea. Would love to see a picture of that.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I also did a complete remodeling of the bathroom...
right down to and including the waterlogged 5/8" OSB floor right over the wheel well.

I eliminated the absurd little shower thing as well...
making the new floor in it's entirety into one big shower pan.

Used that red stuff as the first layer...
along with some nylon window screen embedded for stability and texture.
Then a coating of epoxy flooring material on top of that (with speckles).

The drain fitting free flows right behind the rear tire... not to the gray tank.
When in (some) parks I'll add a fitting and run that to the in ground waste...
but mostly I just let that run loose especially when boondocking at Wally's.
(park on the edge over a storm drain)

FRP sheets on the walls, a wall hung counter with s/s mixing bowl as sink
and a tight box to mount the toilet on top of.
Oh yeah, and surface mounting of all the plumbing lines.

All told... I have a bigger stand up shower stall than most folks have at home.
Works good too.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Didn't see a basic " chat " thread so I figured id start this one. Share your tips and help others.

We have a 1999 motor home and love it but the wall paper trim was starting to peel and it was driving me nuts. Go figure, it didn't seem to bother hubby at all

I simply got a blow dryer and heated it up and then pull ever so gently and it came off with a little effort. It's just the peel and stick stuff that comes with all trailers so it still left the same looking wall as all over the rest of the inside. LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Mod Note: Great idea!
So, please DO post all of your tips/tricks/advice here for repairing/remodeling campers/motorhomes!
Thread is now permanently stickied to the top of the forum for easy access.
~ BstYet2Be, Moderator ~

Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
right down to and including the waterlogged 5/8" OSB floor right over the wheel well.

making the new floor in it's entirety into one big shower pan.

Used that red stuff as the first layer...
along with some nylon window screen embedded for stability and texture.
Then a coating of epoxy flooring material on top of that (with speckles).

The drain fitting free flows right behind the rear tire... not to the gray tank.
When in (some) parks I'll add a fitting and run that to the in ground waste...
but mostly I just let that run loose especially when boondocking at Wally's.
(park on the edge over a storm drain)

FRP sheets on the walls, a wall hung counter with s/s mixing bowl as sink
and a tight box to mount the toilet on top of.
Oh yeah, and surface mounting of all the plumbing lines.

All told... I have a bigger stand up shower stall than most folks have at home.
Works good too.
well dang, makes my little improvement look tiny... just teasing. Yours sounds awesome!!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:

making the new floor in it's entirety into one big shower pan....
I did something similar with an old pickup camper I had. When I bought it, it didn't have a shower, just a potty room with a sink, and it didn't have a hot water heater. (The old guy who bought it new just wanted it for hunting season and didn't want no stinkin shower.)

I got some styrofoam type stuff, layered it and glued it together to make it 5-6 inches thick, shaped a "shower floor" out of it, which I then covered with a couple layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. It looked good, but in retrospect, the styrofoam was a mistake, because after a couple years of walking on it the foam broke broke down, separated from the fiberglass, and the whole floor became spongy. I should have just used pine as a form.

The camper didn't have a holding tank. Water drained through a garden hose into a 5-gallon container outside, so showers had to be limited to 5 gallons or the container would overflow.

Something else I should have done was replace/cover the wood paneling in the bathroom with water-proof panels, but I just ran a rod around the top of the bathroom so I could enclose it with a couple shower curtains. It did work out fine for the limited number of times we showered, and it was cheap and easy. While it wasn't the best solution, it certainly beat heating water on the stove for a sponge bath.

For the water heater I removed one of the two propane bottles and mounted it there. It fit perfectly. Running the hot water lines was pretty simple -- just followed the cold ones. I mounted the second propane bottle on the back of the camper as a spare.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,210,897 times
@camper1. Great idea. We just bought a used TT the other day. The first thing I did was to start to pull off that border. It's on better than I thought it was. I'll try the blow dryer! Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
@camper1. Great idea. We just bought a used TT the other day. The first thing I did was to start to pull off that border. It's on better than I thought it was. I'll try the blow dryer! Thanks.
good Luck!! Mine came our great. Had hubby pull off the outle covers and finish the peeleing for me. Just be careful and not pull to hard.

Let us know how it came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing