Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,151 times

Advertisements

I find ur post sort of short sided and rude. I will tell you why some 1 might live in an RV full time. In 2012 i was diagnosed with a terminal illness , and never worked again. The genius of social security took 3 yrs. To approve my case , and start paying me. In that 3 yrs my savings and most resources were depleated. Because of my age and early retirement. My monthly chk is "not much" . In 2017 my house burned down. I have a forested camp lot about 10 mins from the beach. So many times i thought about selling it. Thank god i didnt sell it. My daughter bought me a beautiful RV , n my kids set it up for me. I now live at a premiere vacation destination of the pacific northwest. I live in a wonderful tiny house. I have been givin the gift of independence. I hav no mortgage or rent payments. I live a million dollar life for penneys. So , i hope you get it. I hope you see how full time RV ing can b a wonderful way to live. And , family members that live , work , and pay outrageous dollars to live in the city love to come and live like i do on holidays. O , And by the way. Its tottaly , and perfectly legal to live/RV on your own property. Go to any beach community and look around. Ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,611 times
don't believe everything you read on line. anybody can post whether or not they nderstand the laws. It not legal to live in an rv year round and owning the land doesn't nec make it legal. before you spend all your money on a plan to live in an rv please check with the local authorities to find out what you rules are in that area. In alot of areas you just fly under the radar until somebody files complaint. I know the regulations on the key peninsula in pierce county, washington state you can live in an rv for 6 months of any 12 month period. However there are still a ton of people flying under the radar doing just that. It is when somebody complains that they start harassing you until you move.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Just yesterday I passed by a "RV and Mobile Home Park" in Snohomish, WA. There were the usual old, beat up single wides, but also a number of newer 5th wheels and travel trailers.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:26 PM

130 posts, read 86,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, this is an old thread, but I may as well throw in my two cents.

From what I've found out, it's illegal to "camp" on land in Washington state for more than 6 months, even if it's your own land. This was told to me by a clerk in Mason county.

I also spoke with Mason County clerk and he told me that technically it its not legal to live in a RV full time but that they do not enforce it unless there is a problem such as not having a septic system.

I also spoke with Mason County Health Dept. and she told me that the property I was interested in and located 9 miles outside of Belfair was in a UGA area, designated Urban Growth Area and there would be an "additional $16,000. fee" added to the septic permit. So much for Belfair, Shelton or Allyn. Some things are just plain outright ridiculous or even a scam and this is one of those. They know the poor cannot afford this and keeps them out. They also know the poor can not afford to fight it.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
I also spoke with Mason County clerk and he told me that technically it its not legal to live in a RV full time but that they do not enforce it unless there is a problem such as not having a septic system.

I also spoke with Mason County Health Dept. and she told me that the property I was interested in and located 9 miles outside of Belfair was in a UGA area, designated Urban Growth Area and there would be an "additional $16,000. fee" added to the septic permit. So much for Belfair, Shelton or Allyn. Some things are just plain outright ridiculous or even a scam and this is one of those. They know the poor cannot afford this and keeps them out. They also know the poor can not afford to fight it.

The rich can't fight it either.

The rules now rule... (post Christine's building the Dept of Ecology into a behemoth, where everyone justifies their job by raking in more gravy, adding more rules, more fees...job security, perpetual costs to builders / anyone who converts bare land to any other use.)

Most of my builder friends fled WA. I haven't built any new homes from scratch in WA for 20 yrs. For RV / mobile / shop on acreage I use the formula I have previously and exhaustively explained. (works great for me, but is no longer DIRT cheap to do, but is very fast and very affordable.)

Old 07-24-2019, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,221 times
Would you mind sharing a bit more about your formula StealthRabbit? I tried checking your posts but couldn't: "Sorry, StealthRabbit profile is accessible only for friends." A link to a past post maybe?

I imagine building costs in WA must be sky-high these days.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
short version... * always find your bargains BEFORE a realtor finds it!, too late if you are looking at stuff listed FS. Listing Price is above what will financially work.
1) Search out and buy a rural acreage with a trashed home or legally placed trashed MH, (with all utilities 'legally' in place)
2) Get a replacement permit for the structure (before tearing it down)
3) Rent a track hoe (Excavator / digger) for a weekend, bring in a dumpster, demolish the useless home
4) Build a shop with Apartment inside (takes ~60 days) (+ Laundry and shower) add RV hookups and lean-too sheds to fit multiple RVs
5) Save the best building site for the next person to build their 'dream house'
6) Rent out new shop, Live in the apartment. Or put RV inside the shop and live in it (I would not do that... fire safety)

Old 11-03-2019, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Karla honestly I have no clue why anyone would want to buy an RV and put it on land somewhere and never move it again, because that's not the purpose the rv was designed for to begin with. No rv is built contruction wise (insulation, power consumption etc) that comes anywhere close to a the construction of a house or even a double wide trailer.....so I would just build/buy/rent a home be it prefab or stick and brick and be done with it because I do not think you will find a piece of land where the zoning laws will allow you to park any rv style unit long term on raw land anyway.....even places out in the middle of nowhere like west Texas or New Mexico where it was once common the local governments has now pretty much put a stop to it....

Now don't confuse buying raw land and wanting to put an rv on it with developed land zoned as an rv resort/park where you can buy a lot and live on it permanently. Those types of properties do not fall under a campground but under a condo type association where you own your lot but everything around you is common land for all the owners to use (pool, clubhouse etc) and you must abide by the rules set in place by the board of directors etc....just like living in a stick and brick condo..these types of properties also require a monthly maintance which is often pretty costly...they are very popular and you will find many "owner" rv resorts in rv destinations like Florida and Arizona. I actually own a lot in south Florida that I spend most winters at.
I like living in an RV full time because the furniture is built in. When I want to move, just hitch up and go!

Old 08-09-2020, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,018 times
When is it that Washington State doesn't make things DIFFICULT, especially for the Poor??
That Day will never come, because it's a Dictator State with Hitler's children running the system here.
Getting a freaking driver's license that I got so easily in other states,
It's Costing Me more than 3 Years and Some Money, and I still Can't Get it.
Because the Prejudice and Racist ***** at the North-Bend WA driver's license
DMV, decided ahead of time, that She wasn't going to give it to me, even
though She saw that I can Drive better than Most People here in WA State.
But Washington State let these Racists do whatever they want without consequences.

Old 10-03-2023, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
This sounds like an awesome idea! I currently live in the PNW and am looking for a place to park my 5th wheel and live in it year round. If you have any available lots then please reach out to me! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing