Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,900,693 times

Advertisements

People who RV in the summertime have AC in their RVs.

Camping while it's hot is definitely risky! Regardless of when you camp you have to have appropriate activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 12:25 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,255,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
People who RV in the summertime have AC in their RVs.

Camping while it's hot is definitely risky! Regardless of when you camp you have to have appropriate activities.
Not a true statement. I have NO AC in my popup and even though I'm high in the mountains usually in the summer, the temps will still reach 90 inside the trailer at times. And even though there are those who need every convenience invented by humans for their camping trips there are a lot of people without AC in their trailers or the AC cannot be used cause their gen does not have the capacity to kick on the AC or there is NO AC supplied in the campground.

As for risky? What's risky? Also, what are appropriate activities? That is subjective. What I like to do when it is hot might be entirely different than someone else. A few years ago, I used to hike in the desert at 100 degrees with no problem.

Old 07-30-2020, 04:46 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,521,481 times
We camp most months--but take January and February off.

And we prefer Fall best.

But with a fifth wheel trailer, cold or hot temperatures don't bother us in the least.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I agree, so then why is summer the time for RVing it seems, maybe I’m wrong about that. I’ve never camped in an RV.
Most families travel when kids are out of school. So summer, plus spring/fall breaks.

I've camped (tent) in all seasons. For me it's about the sleeping temperature, not the season. With that said, a lot of the U.S. has good temps for camping in the fall. In summer one has to be more careful. We were in RMNP a few years ago in July. As I recall the daytime temp was around 90F even up there. By bedtime it wasn't too bad laying on top of a sleeping bag, but then had to crawl inside the bag later.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
We used to do tent camping. Many years ago before we had kids and lived in CA, we would camp in the Sierras in late September/early October. It was still warm during the day, cool at night, but very quiet with the kids all back in school. When we had our kids we would go in summer, only because it's when they were out of school. After we moved here to WA and started camping in the Cascades, we would go in summer but still would sometimes have rain (we had rain this morning here at home). Now that the kids are gone, in 2017 we bought a travel trailer with heat and AC, so can go any time. Still, winter is to be avoided since we can have freezing weather an snow, but we have gone camping as early as May when the fishing is best.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We used to do tent camping. Many years ago before we had kids and lived in CA, we would camp in the Sierras in late September/early October. It was still warm during the day, cool at night, but very quiet with the kids all back in school. When we had our kids we would go in summer, only because it's when they were out of school. After we moved here to WA and started camping in the Cascades, we would go in summer but still would sometimes have rain (we had rain this morning here at home). Now that the kids are gone, in 2017 we bought a travel trailer with heat and AC, so can go any time. Still, winter is to be avoided since we can have freezing weather an snow, but we have gone camping as early as May when the fishing is best.
I used to take my daughters camping at Big Bear area every year for their birthdays (October 4). One night ew got up there. They were in their softball uniforms after playing in 90 degree heat. It was wind chill -20 and snowing like mad at the campground. We tried to sleep in the tent, but ended up in the car.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

As for risky? What's risky? Also, what are appropriate activities? That is subjective. What I like to do when it is hot might be entirely different than someone else. A few years ago, I used to hike in the desert at 100 degrees with no problem.
i tink they were referring to the risk of heat stroke, heart attack and dehydration if you are nto careful about what activities you engage in when it is super hot, especially if you are in direct sun for a long time.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:18 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Here in the Southwest, it generally doesn't cool off enough at night during the summer to allow comfortable sleep in your RV or van unless you have a shore power connection and can run your A/C all night.

Even in California's Central Valley summer afternoons and nights can be miserable even when you're in an RV park and running your A/C. I checked into one park, connected to power and in three hours with the coach A/C going full blast it still hadn't gotten any cooler. My van is basically a big metal box and has little in the way of insulation.

I believe it hit 116 degrees here yesterday. Right now at 4 pm it's 117. There's a couple more months to go before the heat relents.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 07-31-2020 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-31-2020, 06:17 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Do you prefer to camp in the cool weather or warm weather and why? When we lived in CO, we used to escape the summer heat and go up to the mountains for the weekend where it would get super chilly at night. We loved getting warm by the fire and waking up to make a fire. Somehow I find this more pleasant than summertime camping. But I see people RVing all summer long. What do you like about camping or RVing in the summer? Do you prefer fall time camping? Tell me why
I like the fall. It's cooler weather and the leaves are changing. The scenery is so nice.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I like the fall. It's cooler weather and the leaves are changing. The scenery is so nice.
And the fall season smells!

Including the smell of the woodsove amd apple cider brewing in the campround store. One fall season stay 40 yrs ago near Lancaster PA brings great memories of those smells.

And the feel and noise of crunching leaves, and harvest stores and farms with mtns of pumpkins stacked about.

Spring season's vast hues of green is nice too.

Camping in NZ on December an January is a nice treat. Long summer days and plenty of blooms and bleating sheep near your campsite + great views. NZ cows and sheep have some of the best views in the world. Tho Switzerland cows and sheep with their beautiful clanging bells have pretty good views as well. Both areas have lots of camping available.

It's quite possible to enjoy year-round camping. Looking to South America for future. Maybe an adventure motorcyle ride, complete with a tarp tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing