Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 02:51 PM

19,817 posts, read 22,710,079 times

Advertisements

I have an anti sway system and my bumper pull doesn't budge- and I've driven hundreds of miles in wicked crosswinds here in Montana. The trailer reacted the same when I was pulling it with a 6.2L gas powered 1/2 ton or my current 3/4 ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 PM

1,428 posts, read 760,157 times
We considered both and bought a 5th wheel. We knew we would be traveling weeks and months at a time over thousands of miles and the 5er is simply better all around to tow.

Once choice I did make beforehand was to replace the pinbox on the 5er with a "Goosebox" which allows me to not have hundreds of pounds of hitch taking up most of the truck bed. All I've got is a ball in the middle and a pair of safety chain mounts, all of which can be removed in seconds.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,400,524 times
A travel trailer can be towed by a muscular SUV and everything is inside.

I am a great believer in "keep it simple". It is not a vacation when you are wrenching and cussing in some obscure location where parts are non-existant. For instance I once saw a trailer going the other way on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson with his slide out extended. It looked like a disaster in transit.

A number of people have observed that "the bigger the rig, the less time is spent outside seeing the sights along the way".

Old 11-08-2020, 12:44 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,810,348 times
The gooseneck conversion is appealing. However, I tend to think there is a trade off of stability that a 5th wheel hitch provides. Even with the side to side swivel of my 5th wheel along with the flipped axles you notice it in wind. The axles have spacers to give it clearance and will pull level with my pickup.

Storage of the 5th wheel can by cumbersome. I will keep in the pickup unless I need the bed space.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:53 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I need a kitchen. I need bunk space, preferably a little private. I need a bedroom for me and my husband.

I do not need a dining table. I do not need extra recliners or any silliness.

I plan to spend as little time as possible in the RV. I plan to sit outside, eat outside, cook outside as much as possible, and even sleep outside when its nice out.

I would like to have the bed of the truck so I guess weighing that, it seems the trailer is definitely the better option. I was only thinking of what I had seen about the 5th wheel being easier to tow and park. But my husband can drive 18 wheelers so Im not overly worried.

Your last sentence is critical. Find a floor plan to works for you. That you cannot change.

Having the bed of the truck is not that much of an advantage. I would get "storage containers" and use them. As I get older it is more and more difficult to get stuff out of the truck. Your age may change that calculus.

I have a 31 foot 5th wheel and parked it. It is just a pain for me to tow. I have a small trailer that is
almost as long as the 5th wheel!!, but it is much, much easier to tow for me.

Your husband will NOT have that issue with either a 5th wheel or trailer. So get the floor plan that works for you.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,439,538 times
Quote:
Yeah I feel like the trailer is the right way to go but wanted some opinions. Also with the dogs having the ability to put a cap on the truck for traveling might be better. hmm. So many options
One thing to note, when traveling with either a travel trailer or 5th wheel you or the dogs cannot be in the trailer while it is moving unlike say a Class A or Class C. Might make a difference when traveling with many people and dogs.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:50 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,399,147 times
Quote:
I need a kitchen. I need bunk space, preferably a little private. I need a bedroom for me and my husband.

I do not need a dining table. I do not need extra recliners or any silliness.

I plan to spend as little time as possible in the RV. I plan to sit outside, eat outside, cook outside as much as possible, and even sleep outside when its nice out.

I would like to have the bed of the truck so I guess weighing that, it seems the trailer is definitely the better option. I was only thinking of what I had seen about the 5th wheel being easier to tow and park. But my husband can drive 18 wheelers so Im not overly worried.
I wish at least SOME rv manufacturers would make at least SOME of their rv's with extra room in the bathroom and closets instead of adding an extra sofa and putting in a booth or table and chairs. At the very least make it an option.
And there is no need to have a hallway past the bathroom to the bedroom -- just have a door into the bathroom from living area and into the bedroom from bathroom. Would add a ton of room to the bath that is really just wasted.

We have owned several RV's over the years and typically the extra sofa is used as clothing receptacle. We like to use tv trays for eating (when not eating outside) and don't even need the dining area.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:37 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,330,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
A number of people have observed that "the bigger the rig, the less time is spent outside seeing the sights along the way".

Often times, the bigger rigs, like ours, are for full timing, not merely "camping." And you want to have a lot more space for those days (and or weeks) when the weather is crap and you need to stay inside without being on top of each other. We got ours because my wife would like to try full timing when I retire in a couple years and so it needed to have storage space for enough supplies to do that, as well as room to move around inside when we are staying in.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:58 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,249,945 times
Im about 5 minutes from having my husband convinced to do an extended RV trip of 6 months or so. He committed that if we go on a long vacation, about 3 weeks in the RV and he doesnt hate it, he will go on the big trip.

I just bought a (new to me) F-150 in great shape with low miles. If we go on a big long trip where we are basically on the road for months, we would by a newer truck, But this one has a trailer brake which was important to my husband and it will fit the trailers we are looking at.

We definitely decided on either a trailer or a toy hauler, weve been checking some prices and keeping an eye on the market. The toy haulers, when you dont haul toys have that large garage space we can devote to kids and dogs. It eliminates some of the stuff I dont want like a large table and a large sofa. Some even have a 1/2 bath in that back area. And bunks that fold down and sometimes a table. Which I like the possibility off, but only if we can find one in the weight range Im like.

But a bunk house trailer is also a distinct possibility. I like the ones that have only a small bunkhouse and one bunk is over an outdoor kitchen area. Trying to really nail down what we want before we buy, I would hate to have buyers remorse on such a big purchase.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Im about 5 minutes from having my husband convinced to do an extended RV trip of 6 months or so. He committed that if we go on a long vacation, about 3 weeks in the RV and he doesnt hate it, he will go on the big trip.

I just bought a (new to me) F-150 in great shape with low miles..

But a bunk house trailer is also a distinct possibility. I like the ones that have only a small bunkhouse and one bunk is over an outdoor kitchen area. Trying to really nail down what we want before we buy, I would hate to have buyers remorse on such a big purchase.
Try a few different configurations before buying. Always buy used, as there are a lot of "regret" sales on low mileage RV trailers.

Consider 'smaller' and use a tent for the kids. They'll love it.

I am a fan of bunkhouse models for frequent trips with kids or friends.

With a F-150, keep your weight low. Not more than 60% of towing maximum. This will keep you safe, make it more enjoyable, and truck will last a lot longer. The only light pickup (1/2t) I ever had was bought from a retired guy who thought he had worn it out at 180k miles towing a very heavy 30' HR trailer. I put an additional heavy towing 200k on it, without a problem. He always wished he had kept that truck, it was a gem. His replacement Power Stroke cost him a fortune to keep on the road.

You 'low mileage' truck will be fine if you don't overload it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing