Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 07:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of starting to research buying an RV for our family. We first considered a class C. After seeing the price and considering that we would need to tow a Jeep or similar behind us for the family to use at our destination, we decided the investment was too much for that. So we are now thinking that buying a used truck and a tow behind is a better choice.

For the truck we are looking at either a used dually diesel for around 20k or a used dodge 2500 for around 20k.

We are considering either a travel trailer or a 5th wheel hoping to spend less than 20k for a used one. My husband is not a big fan of a higher mileage used class c since the truck is your RV and if the truck breaks your RV is useless. Also they are small. The used ones in our area are around 30-50k, 30k is a old old one. For 40k we can get a really nice towable RV and a decent truck.

My question is from a practical, towable and accessibility stand point, would you prefer a trailer or a 5th wheel. The usual travelers would be 2 adults, a young child, a Labrador and a JRT and sometimes teenagers. My must haves are a bunk house with a door and our bed in a separate area, if not completely closed off, at least have privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 07:51 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Personally I like the lower overall height of a conventional trailer. The 5th wheel backs into places easier as far as pivoting, but the height makes it hard sometimes when there are overhead obstructions (like certain fuel stations), and it's much more of a wind sail in crosswinds.
In my case, I spent less on the truck and more on the trailer to get what I wanted.

But it's been just my wife and I and a few dogs.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 AM

Thats a beautiful trailer. Im looking at them now, I dont love the way they decorate the interiors of most of them, particularly the older ones so I will be making some changes anyway when we buy. Having a tiny private area on the other end of the trailer for my son will make traveling with him easier as he needs his bedtime and his quiet space. I dont like when they have bunks but they are right against the kitchen cabinets. Its really fun to see all the crazy options available though.

I have been hesitant with the 5th wheel just for height issues alone. that does seem to make it more complicated and limiting

Old 10-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I agree not only with the height issue of the 5th wheel but the lack of storage in the truck bed due to it being attached there. We have a 25' travel trailer, and they are available new for not much more than 20k, and you won't need a dually diesel or 2500, a 1500 properly equipped will handle it. Our 2017 F150 5.0 V8, for example, can tow 9,000 lbs., but our trailer is only 6,000 loaded. This one is only $24,900 list price new, and probably available for less.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

Old 10-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Yeah I feel like the trailer is the right way to go but wanted some opinions. Also with the dogs having the ability to put a cap on the truck for traveling might be better. hmm. So many options

Old 10-06-2020, 10:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The fifth wheels have a bunk in the part that goes over your tow vehicle. That gives you a bed that you must climb up into and be careful how you sit up so you don't hit your head. How agile are you?

Fifth wheels tend to be fancier and they are easier to back up and easier to see to hitch up to them.

I use a bumper tow and use the truck bed for carrying firewood, lawn chairs, and the dog crates. A fifth wheel pretty much takes up your pickup bed so you give up that carrying space for outdoor stuff.

Be honest about how fancy you need. The smaller the trailer is, the easier it is to tow and park. Don't buy a rolling condo unless you won't be happy without all that space and fancy finish.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The fifth wheels have a bunk in the part that goes over your tow vehicle. That gives you a bed that you must climb up into and be careful how you sit up so you don't hit your head. How agile are you?

Fifth wheels tend to be fancier and they are easier to back up and easier to see to hitch up to them.

I use a bumper tow and use the truck bed for carrying firewood, lawn chairs, and the dog crates. A fifth wheel pretty much takes up your pickup bed so you give up that carrying space for outdoor stuff.

Be honest about how fancy you need. The smaller the trailer is, the easier it is to tow and park. Don't buy a rolling condo unless you won't be happy without all that space and fancy finish.
I need a kitchen. I need bunk space, preferably a little private. I need a bedroom for me and my husband.

I do not need a dining table. I do not need extra recliners or any silliness.

I plan to spend as little time as possible in the RV. I plan to sit outside, eat outside, cook outside as much as possible, and even sleep outside when its nice out.

I would like to have the bed of the truck so I guess weighing that, it seems the trailer is definitely the better option. I was only thinking of what I had seen about the 5th wheel being easier to tow and park. But my husband can drive 18 wheelers so Im not overly worried.

Old 10-06-2020, 11:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"The fifth wheels have a bunk in the part that goes over your tow vehicle. That gives you a bed that you must climb up into and be careful how you sit up so you don't hit your head."

That could be said for early 5th wheels, but not now with the possible exception of very low end rigs. Even our '06 DRV had stand up room in the bedroom in the front. Finding a bunk room is going to be the stumbling block...not all manufacturers cater to that small slice of the business. Our first RV had a rear kitchen....one trip showed why that is a bad idea....go over a RR crossing a little too fast and all of the kitchen shelf contents are on the floor. Mid kitchen is much better.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-06-2020, 11:43 AM

I would like an oldish version of this style floorplan. Maybe a little shorter but it gets hard to find anything with bunk house when it gets short.
Attached Thumbnails
Travel trailer vs 5th wheel-rv1.jpg   Travel trailer vs 5th wheel-rv2.jpg  

Old 10-06-2020, 04:59 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
A 5th wheel will be easier to tow. They pull easier. They are more stable. You do not have to mess with weight distribution hitches and sway bars. A 5th wheel is more stable by design. A bumper pull will have some sway.

Most 5th wheel hitches are removable from the bed of the pickup with 4 pins. The newer trucks will have a factory “puck system” where the hitch mounts to the frame is factory and hidden. The rails do not mess up bed space that much. Usually there is a bed over the pin box. If you want to stand up next to the bed up front, the trailer will be taller.

Mine isn’t set up that way. It is lower profile. Which is easier where I like to camp. Also, my 5th wheel hitch swivels side to side for uneven ground. I tow with a short box Ford Diesel and the hitch also slides back for maneuvering sharper turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing